Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization
(10-04-2022, 04:33 PM)ac3r Wrote: Looks great! We need more of this, especially along Schneider Creek in the urban areas where it's all concrete culverts.

Schneider Creek doesn't have as much space on the sides of the creek, so it'll be interesting to see the approach they take there.

(10-04-2022, 06:40 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-04-2022, 04:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! Where along the creek is this?

Looks to be along Shelley Drive in Vanier Park.

Wilson Park, though Vanier Park is included in the project.
(10-05-2022, 02:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-04-2022, 04:33 PM)ac3r Wrote: Looks great! We need more of this, especially along Schneider Creek in the urban areas where it's all concrete culverts.

Schneider Creek doesn't have as much space on the sides of the creek, so it'll be interesting to see the approach they take there.

Easy enough... :^)

[Image: MMUgAV3.png]
Looks beautiful. But there are rather a lot of streets to be crossed, too. And the current sides are steep.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's a more challenging project than, say, Shoemaker Creek.
Never mind steep sides, there are buildings that are between 0 and 20 meters from the current edge of the creek.

The proposed design would need 20-40 meters of extra space. The unstated fact about the proposal is that it includes demolition of 3-4 homes and a medium sized industrial building.

That's a 4-8 million dollar cost in property acquisition ALONE, never mind the court costs and social costs of using eminent domain to acquire the properties. And that's before you've even started to build anything.
(10-07-2022, 04:53 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Never mind steep sides, there are buildings that are between 0 and 20 meters from the current edge of the creek.

The proposed design would need 20-40 meters of extra space. The unstated fact about the proposal is that it includes demolition of 3-4 homes and a medium sized industrial building.

Indeed, something like the Shoemaker Creek naturalization simply won't fit, so my assumption was that they would work within the limits of the current creek/trail real estate.

Have they actually approved a plan to purchase and demolish properties? Or it's just a staff proposal for now?
(10-08-2022, 05:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 04:53 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Never mind steep sides, there are buildings that are between 0 and 20 meters from the current edge of the creek.

Indeed, something like the Shoemaker Creek naturalization simply won't fit, so my assumption was that they would work within the limits of the current creek/trail real estate.

Have they actually approved a plan to purchase and demolish properties? Or it's just a staff proposal for now?

I don't think it's a staff proposal, I think it's just ac3rs proposal.

I very much doubt they would do something like that. Naturalization would be a big challenge in that area because of the constraints--naturalized culverts always take more space. I don't know enough the topic though, to know if it's possible to naturalize the creek intermittently.

(10-09-2022, 03:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 05:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Indeed, something like the Shoemaker Creek naturalization simply won't fit, so my assumption was that they would work within the limits of the current creek/trail real estate.

I very much doubt they would do something like that. Naturalization would be a big challenge in that area because of the constraints--naturalized culverts always take more space. I don't know enough the topic though, to know if it's possible to naturalize the creek intermittently.

Reading the city's stormwater management plans, it doesn't look like Upper Schneider Creek (roughly from Victoria Park to Ottawa St) naturalization is in the short-term plans, although they do plan to make some improvements to the water quality. In some ways this one is not so bad from an enjoyment perspective as there are lots of big trees on both sides and vegetation reaches at least halfway down the concrete slope. In terms of absorbing floodwaters, though, those trees really don't help at all.
(10-09-2022, 03:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 03:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't think it's a staff proposal, I think it's just ac3rs proposal.

Reading the city's stormwater management plans, it doesn't look like Upper Schneider Creek (roughly from Victoria Park to Ottawa St) naturalization is in the short-term plans, although they do plan to make some improvements to the water quality. In some ways this one is not so bad from an enjoyment perspective as there are lots of big trees on both sides and vegetation reaches at least halfway down the concrete slope.  In terms of absorbing floodwaters, though, those trees really don't help at all.

Even if they can't naturalize all of Sneider Creek, naturalizing the tributaries that funnel water to it will do a lot for floodwater management.
(10-09-2022, 05:38 PM)Acitta Wrote: Even if they can't naturalize all of Sneider Creek, naturalizing the tributaries that funnel water to it will do a lot for floodwater management.

Good point! Maybe they could then just redo the bottom of Upper Schneider Creek and maybe add some stone or concrete terracing to the lower parts of the slope to enable more plant growth? The upper parts are quite good, mother nature can overcome concrete quite easily given sufficient time!

(10-09-2022, 03:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 05:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Indeed, something like the Shoemaker Creek naturalization simply won't fit, so my assumption was that they would work within the limits of the current creek/trail real estate.

Yeah it was just a random image I pulled from DuckDuckGo, not any sort of local proposal.

While the entire length of that creek couldn't be naturalized due to space constraints, there are nonetheless many sections where it could work. Some naturalization is better than none.
An armourstone wall on one side and some kind of a slope on the other might fit and still leave enough space for reasonable naturalization on the bottom. I'm sure other options exist, too, if the staff are willing to explore alternatives and compromises.
Schneider and Shoemaker Creek Naturalization Environmental Assessment

The Schneider and Shoemaker creeks are currently lined with concrete where the rivers meet. During heavy rains, creeks spill over and flood areas around it, which creates a risk to public safety.
We will complete an Environmental Assessment (EA) to plan a workable design solution for this issue.
As part of the EA, we will consider environmental risks and find ways to avoid or reduce impacts. Widening and naturalizing the creek will provide greater public safety. It will also create region-wide environmental benefits.
This includes improving water quality in Schneider Creek and the Grand River downstream. The creek would also have better habitat for fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds. The EA and any potential improvement works are a result of a culmination of previous studies in the area.
Disaster Mitigation Adaptation Fund
This initiative is funded in part by the Government of Canada. For more information about this partnership between the City of Kitchener and the Government of Canada through the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund, visit kitchener.ca/Stormwater

[b]Upcoming p[/b][b]ublic information centre:[/b]
[b]April 13, 2023[/b]
[b]6:00pm – 8:00pm[/b].
[b]Rockway Golf C[/b][b]ourse (625 Rockway Drive, Kitchener, ON, N2G 3B5)[/b]

(03-28-2023, 09:44 PM)Acitta Wrote: Schneider and Shoemaker Creek Naturalization Environmental Assessment

Thanks for sharing this! I've been hoping for naturalization of Schneider creek for many years now, and I'm stoked to hear it's officially being considered.
(03-28-2023, 09:44 PM)Acitta Wrote: Schneider and Shoemaker Creek Naturalization Environmental Assessment

The Schneider and Shoemaker creeks are currently lined with concrete where the rivers meet. During heavy rains, creeks spill over and flood areas around it, which creates a risk to public safety.
We will complete an Environmental Assessment (EA) to plan a workable design solution for this issue.
As part of the EA, we will consider environmental risks and find ways to avoid or reduce impacts. Widening and naturalizing the creek will provide greater public safety. It will also create region-wide environmental benefits.
This includes improving water quality in Schneider Creek and the Grand River downstream. The creek would also have better habitat for fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds. The EA and any potential improvement works are a result of a culmination of previous studies in the area.
Disaster Mitigation Adaptation Fund
This initiative is funded in part by the Government of Canada. For more information about this partnership between the City of Kitchener and the Government of Canada through the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund, visit kitchener.ca/Stormwater

[b]Upcoming p[/b][b]ublic information centre:[/b]
[b]April 13, 2023[/b]
[b]6:00pm – 8:00pm[/b].
[b]Rockway Golf C[/b][b]ourse (625 Rockway Drive, Kitchener, ON, N2G 3B5)[/b]

Ironic - they were lined with concrete after flooding in their natural state.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »