Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization
An interesting piece from CBC about plans to renaturalize 1.3km of the channelized stream through Filsinger Park in Kitchener. I hope we will see more of this, although something tells me the concrete channels were originally intended for flood control, so I hope that there are no unintended consequences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.2753995

I think flood control knowledge has advanced in the 30+ years since those channels were put in. I'm sure that's all part of the design.
Resuscitating a very old thread! Big Grin

The naturalization of Shoemaker Creek is now well advanced, and I really like what I'm seeing. According to the region, the naturalized creeks will actually be more effective at handling water flow from heavy rains. The mallards are already taking to it -- and it looks great!

Anybody else old enough to remember when Shoemaker Creek WAS natural and they put it into a concrete ditch?
(06-28-2022, 03:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Anybody else old enough to remember when Shoemaker Creek WAS natural and they put it into a concrete ditch?

When was that? For sure, mistakes were made, but I’m happy with the work on renaturalizing it, even if it’s unlikely to be quite the same.

I’m looking forward to the Schneider Creek project, but they’ll have much less room to eork with there.
Anyone know if there is a MUT running along the creek or are they just renaturalizing the creek?
The Highland-Southdale and Kehl-Borden MUTs will be restored, absolutely, and I believe the latter will extend a bit further east and connect past Meinzinger now.

I'm not sure what's planned west of Highland.

I walked by the end near Homer Watson and there is a large flat graded area that looks like it could be turned into a MUT. OSM has paths on both side of the creek leading to Homer-Watson, so hopefully they make the connection all the way to H-W and connect to the paths that run through that park.
I wish they could do this to Schneider Creek past Queen St.
There is also work being done on Montgomery Creek.
(06-29-2022, 09:48 AM)KevinL Wrote: I'm not sure what's planned west of Highland.

Okay, I went by on Highland earlier and got a good look, there's clearly the base of a trail along the north side of the creek as far as I could see.
The restoration of Montgomery Creek is coming along nicely.

Very nice! Where along the creek is this?

Looks great! We need more of this, especially along Schneider Creek in the urban areas where it's all concrete culverts.
(10-04-2022, 04:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! Where along the creek is this?

Looks to be along Shelley Drive in Vanier Park.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »