Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
I liked Brooklin, too, but she's also part of WRYIMBY, which I have recently joined myself, so i might be biased.

Matthew Robson was a disgrace. Robson was constantly ignoring the the time's up bells, constantly getting up and walking out, had to be reminded to put his facemask on multiple times, interrupted the other candidates multiple times. And his answers were just vapid rambling, showing that he had not prepared at all. Disrespectful of the time and work the organisers put into this, disrespectful of the audience's time, disrespectful of the other candidates.

(09-21-2022, 10:21 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: I was only able to attend the first half of tonight's ward 9 candidates meeting, but I thought Brooklin Wallis spoke well to the issues and was generally a housing-friendly advocate Smile

Thanks, Melissa!

But she needs to do some campaigning, all I have seen in the neighbourhood so far are Chapman signs ...
I got video of most of the meeting. However, my phone did overheat and would no longer record video after about an hour and 20 minutes or so. I managed to quickly switch to my DSLR, so there is a bit missing, but I'm going to have to edit a few things and do some video stabilization before i make it available.

And in no way do I pretend to be a professional videographer. 😉
(09-21-2022, 10:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:21 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: I was only able to attend the first half of tonight's ward 9 candidates meeting, but I thought Brooklin Wallis spoke well to the issues and was generally a housing-friendly advocate Smile

Thanks, Melissa!

But she needs to do some campaigning, all I have seen in the neighbourhood so far are Chapman signs ...

Agreed! And I know she has been out there (and has buttons and signs for those interested) but I know she is also looking for additional volunteers, if that's of interest to anyone.
(09-22-2022, 12:43 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 10:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Thanks, Melissa!

Agreed! And I know she has been out there (and has buttons and signs for those interested) but I know she is also looking for additional volunteers, if that's of interest to anyone.

The question of campaigning notwithstanding, the people who are more likely to support Wallis are less likely to be visible. I know that there is a law forcing condos and apartments to accept election advertising, but they are still less visible, and her supporters are less able to exercise political activism than the wealthy, older, white, property owning supporters of Chapman.

That being said, she really does have a big uphill battle. Incumbents very rarely lose, no matter how bad their policies are. And sadly, Chapman's policies pander to the most politically active demographic, so she's going to be even harder to beat.
If even a single incumbent loses their seat to someone new I'll have a whole new respect for local politics. I just don't see that happening though. People don't engage in local politics enough. Voter turnout in our local elections tends to hover between 25-30% which will probably be the case this year. In 2018 it was completely stagnant even: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4874217
(09-22-2022, 01:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The question of campaigning notwithstanding, the people who are more likely to support Wallis are less likely to be visible. I know that there is a law forcing condos and apartments to accept election advertising, but they are still less visible, and her supporters are less able to exercise political activism than the wealthy, older, white, property owning supporters of Chapman.

Our condo building doesn't have a single election ad that I have seen. But Chapman was knocking on the doors in the building, and any candidate could do that. (I also believe that our building's ownership is relatively progressive -- and would be a good target for someone, uhh, running against Chapman.)

(09-21-2022, 10:26 PM)Bytor Wrote: Matthew Robson was a disgrace. Robson was constantly ignoring the the time's up bells, constantly getting up and walking out, had to be reminded to put his facemask on multiple times, interrupted the other candidates multiple times. And his answers were just vapid rambling, showing that he had not prepared at all. Disrespectful of the time and work the organisers put into this, disrespectful of the audience's time, disrespectful of the other candidates.

I'm someone that has met Matthew personally prior to this, hence the anonymous account. His current behaviour, including the decision to run for office, is the result of a pretty severe mental health crisis stemming from family issues. When in good health he'd probably be a decent councillor, but obviously he's in no shape to be holding office right now. I'm not suggesting anyone vote for him, but I think some compassion in how we discuss him is warranted.
(09-21-2022, 10:34 PM)Bytor Wrote: I got video of most of the meeting. However, my phone did overheat and would no longer record video after about an hour and 20 minutes or so. I managed to quickly switch to my DSLR, so there is a bit missing, but I'm going to have to edit a few things and do some video stabilization before i make it available.

And in no way do I pretend to be a professional videographer. 😉

Amazing! Thanks so much for recording this!

Also of possible interest to people in this group: the Forest Heights Neighbourhood Association is putting on a joint Kitchener Ward 7 and 8 meet and greet on Sept 27. Rogers TV is also doing debates or Q&As for the different races. Links to these are at https://waterlooregionvotes.org .
(09-22-2022, 02:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: If even a single incumbent loses their seat to someone new I'll have a whole new respect for local politics. I just don't see that happening though. People don't engage in local politics enough. Voter turnout in our local elections tends to hover between 25-30% which will probably be the case this year. In 2018 it was completely stagnant even: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4874217

It is rare but possible. I was listening to an episode of the Old Grey Mayors podcast and learned that Rob Deutschmann beat an incumbent to become Mayor of North Dumfries in 2010. Jen Vasic also beat incumbent Mark Whaley in Waterloo Ward 5 in 2018. (Also, in 2003 there was a lot of turnover in Waterloo City Council, but that was about RIM Park.)
(09-22-2022, 02:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: If even a single incumbent loses their seat to someone new I'll have a whole new respect for local politics. I just don't see that happening though. People don't engage in local politics enough. Voter turnout in our local elections tends to hover between 25-30% which will probably be the case this year. In 2018 it was completely stagnant even: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4874217

I guess I'm outing myself as reading this thread, but Margaret Johnson actually won over an incumbent in 2018! It's definitely possible.
Welcome to the thread (and the forum), Brooklin!
(09-23-2022, 10:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Welcome to the thread (and the forum), Brooklin!

Thank you! Hopefully this isn't a "schoolkids noticing their teacher is listening" type instance and I didn't scare everyone away 😅

(09-23-2022, 11:13 AM)BrooklinWR Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 10:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Welcome to the thread (and the forum), Brooklin!

Thank you! Hopefully this isn't a "schoolkids noticing their teacher is listening" type instance and I didn't scare everyone away 😅

I think not ... happy to see that we didn't scare you away!

What do you see as the key to overcoming Debbie Chapman's incumbency advantage?
Any thoughts on the Kitchener Ward 5 Candidates? Despite it being super suburban the councillor here will make decisions on projects in the core.
We will see a new face here. Most websites for the candidates, if they exist, seem very vague on policy.

The one Candidate, Jon Massimi seems to have this NIMBY Centric policy.
Say no to projects that our community is not properly consulted on.….. so I’m not voting for him.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »