Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
It's me again, showing up after four years to talk about the municipal election.

We revived https://waterlooregionvotes.org for this election. I doubt we are going to do any dramatic redesigns but we could use help in gathering information to populate the site. People who are willing to follow Facebook and Twitter would be especially welcome. If nothing else then I hope the site might be useful to you and your friends.

It looks as if there will be a paucity of all-candidates meetings. Is anybody interested in helping to put some together? In the past I helped organize some under the banner of The Working Centre, but I don't work there any more, and I am too much of a scaredy-cat to do physical gatherings. If we could get together a group to organize some virtual all-candidates meetings then I would be willing to help out. My main interest is the Kitchener candidates for Regional Council and maybe Ward 10 in Kitchener, but there are many other races of interest too.

Looks like no serious competition for incumbents - particularly Kitchener mayor and Regional chair. I'll be sure to vote to fill the Regional councillor and school board slots, however.
I haven't paid attention to any previous local elections, so honest question: Is it always so... depressing? Most of the mayoral candidates could pass for satire or AI generated content. I can only find information for 2 out of 6 candidates in ward 9. Of those two, Debbie Chapman and Brooklin Wallis, I can't say there is much there motivating me to go out and vote...

There is just a significant lack of effort and professionalism across the board.
Incumbency advantage is huge (and in multi-seat races there are structural advantages for incumbents), so it is not surprising that there are no real contenders for Kitchener mayor and Regional chair. But there are a bunch of empty seats this election, and there are some real races happening there.

Yes, municipal elections are often depressing.

Keep in mind that it is still early days, and a bunch of candidates still have not put up election-specific websites or social media yet. As these trickle in you will probably find more substantial information about the candidates (and as we find these updated sites we will change the listings at waterlooregionvotes.org).

I heard today that there will be a Kitchener Ward 9 all-candidates meeting on Sept 21, 7pm at Calvary Memorial United Church. I still need an URL for this, and I am hoping that the organizers will record and upload the meeting. In my opinion all-candidates meetings are the best way to figure out who is serious about running, and whose political views align most closely with your own.
(09-09-2022, 09:13 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I haven't paid attention to any previous local elections, so honest question: Is it always so... depressing? Most of the mayoral candidates could pass for satire or AI generated content. I can only find information for 2 out of 6 candidates in ward 9. Of those two, Debbie Chapman and Brooklin Wallis, I can't say there is much there motivating me to go out and vote...

There is just a significant lack of effort and professionalism across the board.

There's a lot of strategy about what races people enter. Everyone knows Berry Vrbanovic is widely liked, and is very likely to easily win re-election. So, who wants to take months away from work (and the associated income) to mount a serious campaign for a position they have little chance of winning? The result is, only a few fringe candidates bother entering, and the candidate list looks like you describe. Compare this to when Ken Seiling retired, the Regional Chair race had multiple credible organized candidates. It's not like provincial or federal politics where there's parties with full-time staff, and being leader of the opposition in an actual job. If you lose you just... lose, and have to go do something other than politics for the next 4 years. So there's far fewer ready to go people, with existing websites, budgets, campaign machinery, and all the other things that make for credible campaigns.

So, yes it's always this bad. But also, you quickly learn how to recognize who the fringe candidates are. There's something about municipal elections that bring out the weirdos.
(09-09-2022, 09:13 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I haven't paid attention to any previous local elections, so honest question: Is it always so... depressing? Most of the mayoral candidates could pass for satire or AI generated content. I can only find information for 2 out of 6 candidates in ward 9. Of those two, Debbie Chapman and Brooklin Wallis, I can't say there is much there motivating me to go out and vote...

"Lack of effort and professionalism"

I mean, these are not professionals and do not generally have the funds to hire professionals.

I think the fact that most of these people are not professional politicians is a good thing...frankly, the "professional" politicians who are in our local government right now are some of the politicians I want replaced the most, although I suspect that they will not be, given their advantages.

I certainly wouldn't claim to know what their "efforts" are given we don't know their individual resources or skills and only have a window into their digital presence here.

Ultimately, I think your comment is more revealing though...you haven't paid attention previously...but local elections are probably the most impactful elections we have...it's a shame that so many people don't pay attention.
I live in Ward 9 and would love to know the best alternative to Debbie. The only person I recognize is Beth Warren from the downtown scene. And her website is a 6+ year old blog.

I’m glad to see diversity in ward 5. There’s only one candidate that discusses development policy in their site and he states that he will try to ensure that no development happens without public input. Sounds like he will be pandering to Nimbys.
Yeah, that's my former ward so I also took a peek.

It's not a particularly inspiring group, I feel like Debbie is probably going to win. It is a shame because she is...quite disappointing with her voting on several issues including road safety and housing. And she was a real straggler on supporting the downtown grid (and her ward--and crowd---saw significant compromises as well).

Of the group, Wallis appears to have the most online presence, I've seen her both on twitter and she has a website. If she has a real in person presence to match, she'd probably be the one with a chance to take on Debbie. Her platform as presented is pretty good. There are a few things I disagree with, but by the sounds of it, she'd mostly align with my issues, and certainly be a significantly more progressive option than Councillor Chapman.

I was surprised that Sarah Marsh is not running, which leaves her ward wide open...there are a number of interesting candidates there...

Honestly, election season leaves me swinging between optimism and cynicism...but at least for me at this point...it's merely a spectator sport.
I think there's a real drinking game opportunity here by taking a shot every time someone's campaign website makes a clear anti-housing dogwhistle. Some of my favourites so far from Jan Liggett (running for Cambridge Mayor) for example:

Quote:https://janliggett.com/vision/

I have a deep concern with the pattern of ignoring resident and taxpayer voices when decisions are being made by council.

I believe in:
Controlled development, compatible with “good fit” that respects our unique assets
Preservation of our built and natural heritage
Housing options, including rental

As a councillor, I have been insistent about the obligation of elected officials and city staff to be accountable to the public. Taxpayers expect evidence that tax dollars are being spent on defined priorities and are delivered with the highest value for money that council can provide.

I've never been more inspired by such incredible leadership with plans about "adequate social services" and "including rental" housing options. The future is truly going to be so bright! Such bold vision!
local cambridge weirdo
(09-10-2022, 01:33 AM)taylortbb Wrote: There's a lot of strategy about what races people enter. Everyone knows Berry Vrbanovic is widely liked, and is very likely to easily win re-election. So, who wants to take months away from work (and the associated income) to mount a serious campaign for a position they have little chance of winning? The result is, only a few fringe candidates bother entering, and the candidate list looks like you describe. Compare this to when Ken Seiling retired, the Regional Chair race had multiple credible organized candidates. It's not like provincial or federal politics where there's parties with full-time staff, and being leader of the opposition in an actual job. If you lose you just... lose, and have to go do something other than politics for the next 4 years. So there's far fewer ready to go people, with existing websites, budgets, campaign machinery, and all the other things that make for credible campaigns.

So, yes it's always this bad. But also, you quickly learn how to recognize who the fringe candidates are. There's something about municipal elections that bring out the weirdos.

I suppose to strengthen your point, even in federal politics a "throwaway" candidate like Andrew Scheer is tossed in when a popular leader is incumbent. Makes sense.

(09-10-2022, 06:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Lack of effort and professionalism"

I mean, these are not professionals and do not generally have the funds to hire professionals.

I think the fact that most of these people are not professional politicians is a good thing...frankly, the "professional" politicians who are in our local government right now are some of the politicians I want replaced the most, although I suspect that they will not be, given their advantages.

I certainly wouldn't claim to know what their "efforts" are given we don't know their individual resources or skills and only have a window into their digital presence here.

I agree about career politicians, but I would separate "professionals" from "professionalism", though perhaps I'm just using the wrong words here. I would say the majority of "professionals" I've worked with also lack what I'm calling professionalism here, though it matters a lot less because they aren't public facing, whereas all of these candidates are. What I'm trying to describe here is more about behaviour or communication skills.

I will absolutely judge someones effort by the quality and content (or existence) of their website though. It's 2022, and building a quality and navigable website is easy if you have basic computer skills, regardless of funding level. More importantly: content, or lack thereof, is a direct reflection of the effort and competency of a candidate. Maybe I'm lacking another perspective here, but IMO nearly all voters who aren't just voting for the person they know will be using candidate websites to compare and make their decision.

(09-10-2022, 06:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Ultimately, I think your comment is more revealing though...you haven't paid attention previously...but local elections are probably the most impactful elections we have...it's a shame that so many people don't pay attention.

Completely agree, although I don't think my personal circumstances reveal that (not that you could know that). I'm pretty sure I'm much younger than the average user here, so I've only actually missed the 2018 election while both living in Kitchener and being of voting age. Even then, I made my best last minute effort. Though I was completely out of touch while of voting age where I went to university.

My agreement on local elections being incredibly important and impactful is why I'm so critical.
(09-10-2022, 01:18 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 01:33 AM)taylortbb Wrote: There's a lot of strategy about what races people enter. Everyone knows Berry Vrbanovic is widely liked, and is very likely to easily win re-election. So, who wants to take months away from work (and the associated income) to mount a serious campaign for a position they have little chance of winning? The result is, only a few fringe candidates bother entering, and the candidate list looks like you describe. Compare this to when Ken Seiling retired, the Regional Chair race had multiple credible organized candidates. It's not like provincial or federal politics where there's parties with full-time staff, and being leader of the opposition in an actual job. If you lose you just... lose, and have to go do something other than politics for the next 4 years. So there's far fewer ready to go people, with existing websites, budgets, campaign machinery, and all the other things that make for credible campaigns.

I suppose to strengthen your point, even in federal politics a "throwaway" candidate like Andrew Scheer is tossed in when a popular leader is incumbent. Makes sense.

(09-10-2022, 06:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Lack of effort and professionalism"

I agree about career politicians, but I would separate "professionals" from "professionalism", though perhaps I'm just using the wrong words here. I would say the majority of "professionals" I've worked with also lack what I'm calling professionalism here, though it matters a lot less because they aren't public facing, whereas all of these candidates are. What I'm trying to describe here is more about behaviour or communication skills.

I will absolutely judge someones effort by the quality and content (or existence) of their website though. It's 2022, and building a quality and navigable website is easy if you have basic computer skills, regardless of funding level. More importantly: content, or lack thereof, is a direct reflection of the effort and competency of a candidate. Maybe I'm lacking another perspective here, but IMO nearly all voters who aren't just voting for the person they know will be using candidate websites to compare and make their decision.

(09-10-2022, 06:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Ultimately, I think your comment is more revealing though...you haven't paid attention previously...but local elections are probably the most impactful elections we have...it's a shame that so many people don't pay attention.

Completely agree, although I don't think my personal circumstances reveal that (not that you could know that). I'm pretty sure I'm much younger than the average user here, so I've only actually missed the 2018 election while both living in Kitchener and being of voting age. Even then, I made my best last minute effort. Though I was completely out of touch while of voting age where I went to university.

My agreement on local elections being incredibly important and impactful is why I'm so critical.

I do think you really overestimate the ability of the average person to create a website. As for professionalism, I think that's probably a complex multi-faceted feature, being a slick people person, plus understanding how to run a campaign, plus understanding how to be a politician.

But I think it's a spectrum. For example, Debbie Chapman when I speak with her, often comes off as very unsure, and seeming not to understand how government functions. I don't necessarily think that is a problem (my problem is more how she votes on issues), but it does limit her ability to take action and gain support, and it gives staff more power.

On the other hand, she's clearly capable running a campaign and win votes, even without much of a digital presence.

Yes, sorry I should have made clear I think local elections are ignored too much in general, not that you specifically should have paid more attention. FWIW...the first municipal election I was eligible to vote in, I did not vote in and the election was literally decided by 1 vote, it's probably the only time I'd have had the chance to personally turn an election result.
Ward 9 and 10 in Kitchener both have all-candidates meetings being organized by neighbourhood associations, so I am guessing the candidates will be pressured into supporting "preserving neighbourhood character" and such. If the YIMBYs want to counter that it would be good if they organized. One way to do so is to send out surveys and then publish the responses, but this is admittedly a lot of work.

I don't live in Ward 9 but if I did my vote would likely be for Brooklin Wallis - she doesn't emphasize it, but she is a trans woman, and I definitely feel we need more queer voices in our local politics.
(09-10-2022, 05:56 PM)KevinL Wrote: I don't live in Ward 9 but if I did my vote would likely be for Brooklin Wallis - she doesn't emphasize it, but she is a trans woman, and I definitely feel we need more queer voices in our local politics.

I still have more research to do but currently, Brooklin Wallis for ward 9 is where I suspect my vote will go. I think she seems to be the most progressive candidate and I believe is a renter, which I think is a needed voice on council as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »