Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taxation and the middle class
(12-12-2023, 10:10 PM)nms Wrote:
Quote:New spending would go toward hiring more firefighters, improving sidewalk snow clearing, responding to climate change, promoting affordable housing and tackling a growing backlog of repairs to buildings, pipes and roads, among other projects. The budget proposal would add 62 full-time jobs over three years, a staffing increase of eight per cent.

I'd rather improve the taxes now than watch the maintenance backlog grow even more while hoping that the Province will someday kick in more money to support the Cities.  It's only been 30 years since Mike Harris downloaded a whole bunch of fiscal responsibilities on the Cities for all the things that we are paying for now (eg social housing and social services).

I see what you're saying but I'd prefer it if we could just not do this until after I've retired or died, thanks

dear future generations: eat shit
local cambridge weirdo

(12-12-2023, 09:41 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 10:12 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Here's another novel idea, not adding and increasing taxes on society.

Best I can do is another 23 percent increase over 3 years my guy: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...dcf56.html

(Didn't know where to post this since there isn't a general tax thread)

23 per cent is the (clickbait!) headline. Annual increases are 7.5, 7.3 and 6.4 per cent. That does not seem outrageous to me.

I do think property taxes should be progressive, though, with expensive houses taxed at higher (marginal) rates than inexpensive ones.
Progressive land taxes provide a disincentive to make your property better... but the land value tax debate is probably for another thread.

As usual, local journalists claiming that the sky is falling when property owners have to pay $15 more a month in times of inflation. Get a grip.
local cambridge weirdo
(12-13-2023, 05:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-12-2023, 09:41 PM)ac3r Wrote: Best I can do is another 23 percent increase over 3 years my guy: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...dcf56.html

(Didn't know where to post this since there isn't a general tax thread)

23 per cent is the (clickbait!) headline. Annual increases are 7.5, 7.3 and 6.4 per cent. That does not seem outrageous to me.

I do think property taxes should be progressive, though, with expensive houses taxed at higher (marginal) rates than inexpensive ones.

Now add those numbers together. :'P

It's not an outrageous increase, but an increase is still an increase. It may not be a lot of money for most of us who post here but for others, even a small increase in taxes can hurt. I don't think anyone likes to see a government put their filthy hands in their pockets.
(12-13-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's not an outrageous increase, but an increase is still an increase. It may not be a lot of money for most of us who post here but for others, even a small increase in taxes can hurt. I don't think anyone likes to see a government put their filthy hands in their pockets.

Depends what it’s for. If it’s a democratically elected government collecting funds for widely useful services such as sidewalk clearing, bring it on.

It’s definitely not worth listening to people who think tax increases are inherently bad.
(12-13-2023, 09:22 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's not an outrageous increase, but an increase is still an increase. It may not be a lot of money for most of us who post here but for others, even a small increase in taxes can hurt. I don't think anyone likes to see a government put their filthy hands in their pockets.

Depends what it’s for. If it’s a democratically elected government collecting funds for widely useful services such as sidewalk clearing, bring it on.

It’s definitely not worth listening to people who think tax increases are inherently bad.

People who think government is our enemy are actively burning society down. I’m done with them.
"An increase is still an increase" isn't even as true as it sounds. Some of us like to at least maintain the level of services we have (if not increase them) in the face of inflation. Considering the cost increases in the construction industry, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of tackling our infrastructure isn't a fair bit higher than the CPI.

It's true that it probably is an increase relative to the incomes of most people, but handling stagnant wages aren't really in the purview of municipal governments...

(12-13-2023, 09:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: People who think government is our enemy are actively burning society down. I’m done with them.

So does that mean we don't hate Ford and Chapman anymore?
(12-13-2023, 09:39 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 09:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: People who think government is our enemy are actively burning society down. I’m done with them.

So does that mean we don't hate Ford and Chapman anymore?

There's a difference between "government" and "politicians."

Government is the people who work full careers at the city who have never been elected, but make sure that buildings meet standards, and that the roads are plowed, and that the trash cans at the park get emptied.
(12-13-2023, 06:53 PM)bravado Wrote: Progressive land taxes provide a disincentive to make your property better... but the land value tax debate is probably for another thread.

Yes ... and progressive income taxes provide a disincentive to earn more. And yet, when applied within reason, the disincentives turn out not to be significant, and the progression makes our tax system (in the opinion of most people) more fair.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »