Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(05-02-2024, 05:00 AM)Xaviere001 Wrote: I totally get your concerns, but it might be healthy to see the otherside of the situation,

To me it seems like the Region of Waterloo and Wilmot Township are teaming up to get some land ready for development and job opportunities. They want to make these areas "shovel-ready," which means they're all set for businesses to come in and start building stuff. This is part of their plan to support the growth of Waterloo Region as more people move in over the years. They're hoping to attract investments and create more job opportunities as the area gets bigger.

However, the Region's most recent official plan review makes no mention of this area, nor the need for additional employment lands outside what was already outlined in the review - so why the seemingly quick shift in plans? And the expropriation part still seems problematic in this scenario. If the Region had clearly made it known there was a need for more employment lands and were not relying on expropriation to obtain 'needed lands', I think I'd have a very different take on this issue.

(05-02-2024, 06:37 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: However, the Region's most recent official plan review makes no mention of this area, nor the need for additional employment lands outside what was already outlined in the review - so why the seemingly quick shift in plans? And the expropriation part still seems problematic in this scenario. If the Region had clearly made it known there was a need for more employment lands and were not relying on expropriation to obtain 'needed lands', I think I'd have a very different take on this issue.

And why the NDAs, which are really unusual at the regional level? That makes me think the provincial government was (and maybe still is) driving this initiative.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »