Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North (formerly Thalmic Labs, now Google)
I just don't see why money would be spent on a mural that is (hopefully) soon to be covered up.

(10-30-2018, 09:50 AM)Spokes Wrote: I just don't see why money would be spent on a mural that is (hopefully) soon to be covered up.

There's that optimism again!   Big Grin
It's true. Honestly I think for that spot in particular it's lots of hopefulness. If I say it enough it'll happen
(10-30-2018, 09:50 AM)Spokes Wrote: I just don't see why money would be spent on a mural that is (hopefully) soon to be covered up.

I don't disagree. It would be pointless at this point with actual development plan in place. What I'm saying is it should have been done a long time ago instead of having a blank wall for years.
(10-30-2018, 10:48 AM)Lens Wrote:

I don't disagree. It would be pointless at this point with actual development plan in place. What I'm saying is it should have been done a long time ago instead of having a blank wall for years.

Ohhh.  Yes you're absolutely right.

One of my biggest frustrations with things in Waterloo Region is that there's often no/little foresight or long term vision.  Things are just dealt with as they come up.
In fairness to the city, Bernie Nimer made it sound like he was going to proceed immediately with a new build on the Mayfair Hotel property. Alas, it didn't quite happen.
You have to be careful with provisions. The building on the former city lot between Francis and Water, the city made shovels-in-ground-within-a-year a condition of sale, and lo and behold, it was accomplished. If you don't write something into your contracts or rules, it won't get done.

(10-30-2018, 12:33 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: You have to be careful with provisions. The building on the former city lot between Francis and Water, the city made shovels-in-ground-within-a-year a condition of sale, and lo and behold, it was accomplished. If you don't write something into your contracts or rules, it won't get done.

Nimer already owned the property, so they couldn't really add conditions post facto.
In general absolutely, but given the way the building was torn down, some accommodations from the city might have been a part of that, though on one hand, safety, and on the other hand, competing views from heritage and non-heritage building surveyors as to whether it had to be torn down.
(10-30-2018, 12:33 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: You have to be careful with provisions. The building on the former city lot between Francis and Water, the city made shovels-in-ground-within-a-year a condition of sale, and lo and behold, it was accomplished. If you don't write something into your contracts or rules, it won't get done.

But the city had that with Andrin for phase 1 and didn't enforce it when the deadline passed.
(10-30-2018, 01:52 PM)Spokes Wrote:

But the city had that with Andrin for phase 1 and didn't enforce it when the deadline passed.

iIRC the Andrin deadline was just for building permits to be issued. Actual construction didn't have a required timeline.
Ohh ok, I stand corrected.

Did the Myo armband ever make any money?
North in the news, on CBC

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »