Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(03-29-2024, 09:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Again, expropriation for industrial land is not uncommon.  Nobody's breaking new ground here (so to speak).

Just because it's not new does not make it right.

Help the corporation do site selection? Fine.

Help the corporation negotiate by offering tax credits or other bonuses on the income to the people who willingly sell? Sure.

Actually do the purchasing from the people who willingly sell? I'd rather the corporation pay for it themselves, but OK.

But expropriation, forcing people to sell whether they want to or not, for the enrichment of a corporation? No. Absolutely not.

Especially when done in such a shady, non-transparent manner.

Just so the wrong kind of people don't derail this potential proposal, I plan to reach out to the region and township showing support for this. The last thing we need is to lose out because of upset farmers and anti-corporate NIMBYs.
Vive tried to buy the land in question: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...65d42.html

Where the hell do they get the money for all this?
(03-31-2024, 01:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Vive tried to buy the land in question: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...65d42.html

Vive undoubtedly has other investors behind them, they've partnered with Corley for a few projects (926, Lancaster), but no way has Litt gotten that much ROI on the projects they've completed already, so they've certainly found some other investors.
(03-31-2024, 01:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Vive tried to buy the land in question: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...65d42.html

My question would be who leaked the info to them that the land was in play?
(03-31-2024, 02:57 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:

Vive undoubtedly has other investors behind them, they've partnered with Corley for a few projects (926, Lancaster), but no way has Litt gotten that much ROI on the projects they've completed already, so they've certainly found some other investors.

Right. I expect they do financing on a project basis instead of getting investment into Vive itself.
Just to toss this one out there to add to all of the speculation ... the current ROW dump site is around 600 acres and due to retirement soon enough. This site would be a terrible spot for a dump for many reasons, a 700 acre parcel would likely be the largest contiguous Regional property, second only to the airport. (I do not claim any knowledge of backroom negotiations)

(04-01-2024, 08:21 PM)nms Wrote: Just to toss this one out there to add to all of the speculation ... the current ROW dump site is around 600 acres and due to retirement soon enough.  This site would be a terrible spot for a dump for many reasons, a 700 acre parcel would likely be the largest contiguous Regional property, second only to the airport. (I dp not claim any knowledge of backroom negotiations)

The existing landfill is good until around 2050, no?
You're close. The one located in the western suburbs is estimated to hit capacity within 15-20 years.

I can't remember if the one in Cambridge still operates as a landfill, or if it's just a transfer station now. Either way, it's a tiny bit bigger than the one on Erb and doesn't have much capacity left either.

Once it's completely full, they have considered building a waste to energy incineration facility which I think would be a great idea. One caveat is that they think that would require accepting waste from other municipalities to make it worth the cost. That will likely become a messy political and policy obstacle, because the idea of importing waste from elsewhere is always a hard sell to the public. Environmentalists and commies won't like that idea, but then again they don't really have any ideas in the first place. I think it would be a good investment to use, while also working on programs for waste reduction and recycling improvements. It would surely be better than having to open up what would become the 9th landfill in the region.
Can we move all the off topic posts out of this thread?
I agree we should probably move this over to either the Economy or Politics section or general suburbs.

I could be possible this is the site of our future landfill. Given its proximity to our water source I doubt it. The region does need to start looking at options for garbage now, as Ac3r is correct the current landfill has about 15 years left of service. Cambridge is only a transfer station at this point. I would prefer we look at building an incinerator, but the cost of a facility like that would more than the LRT to cambridge. We would also need to come to an agreement with guelph, brantford and hamilton all use the facility to make the investment worth it.

It would be funny if it ends up being a land assembly for a landfill. I bet they are hoping to close the current landfill at the sametime the new hospital opens, if they are actually serious about the waterloo Costco site for the hospital. Still hopefully for a major investment from a Multinational corporation.
(04-02-2024, 09:02 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I agree we should probably move this over to either the Economy or Politics section or general suburbs.

There's already parallel discussion in the General Township thread.
(placeholder)

Weird...I saw new posts in this thread but they're all comments from other threads that got merged into this one. I think? I kinda wish this forum ran on something like what 4chan and other imageboards use, where everything is chronological and contained to the thread it was posted in, with little to no moderator intervention with the exception of removing spam or illegal content.

Moving things around like what happens here is super confusing at times. I know sometimes threads go off the rails and the topic changes for 2-3 pages of discussion, but it'd be simpler to just leave that and mention to people to please continue the discussion in the relevant threads. Moving the individual/multiple posts from one thread to another - or the random moderator edits and censorship that gets used on some posts (but then the unedited posts may still appear in quote blocks) - makes things extremely messy. It would have made more sense to just make a new thread for this particular debate over the 700 acres because now we've got a thread that is dedicated to that but also landfills - huh? And then 5 pages of posts that are debating everything from the ethics and legality of land expropriation to the economic justifications of land purchases. And, well, landfills too.
If you don't like the organization, you do always have the option of using 4chan instead. Most of the members here appear to prefer some level of organization, but if Spokes decides otherwise, I certainly will follow his guidance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »