Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(04-26-2024, 02:52 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Every international organization’s existence disproves this statement.

Whenever various groups have common interests, it may make sense for them to collaborate and co-operate, and pretending that collaboration and co-operation mean communism (if I understand your cryptic reference correctly), just makes you sound like a crazy person.

I don't know what that means or how the existence of international organizations relates making our region seem more appealing to other regions to attract investment. Collaboration is great, but so is individualism and autonomy. Our region should have the capacity to make its own choices and choose its own direction without having to worry about whether or not they align with those in Alliston or Windsor.

We can and must collaborate, but we also need to compete with one another.

(04-26-2024, 12:50 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 12:19 PM)SF22 Wrote: Well, it's apparently not going to be an EV plant. Does that put us back to square one on speculating the end result? https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...c505f.html

I think we should just treat it based on what we know: that the region wants to take a large 700 acre plot of land and invite people to use it, whether that means a single large company or numerous ones.

Allow me to rephrase: "... the region was told by the province to come up with a large 700 acre plot of land ...".

Why were they told that? At this point anyone that knows is under NDA.
No idea, but that doesn't imply that it was to hand over to a single large company.
(04-22-2024, 09:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 07:51 PM)Bytor Wrote: Don't forget the history of the NDP and their origins. United Farmers helped spawn the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation who helped spawn the NDP. Historically that alignment has been there.

Not in Ontario.

Where do you think the Ontario NDP spawned from? They were not separate from the national organization.
(04-27-2024, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: No idea, but that doesn't imply that it was to hand over to a single large company.

If not, then there was no reason to do it this way, as there is plenty of already designated greenfield north of Maple Grove Road up to the airport for this purpose.
(04-27-2024, 06:13 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: No idea, but that doesn't imply that it was to hand over to a single large company.

If not, then there was no reason to do it this way, as there is plenty of already designated greenfield north of Maple Grove Road up to the airport for this purpose.

Ah but Maple Grove is not in Wilmot, and how then would it contribute to their tax base.
(04-29-2024, 09:43 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 06:13 PM)Bytor Wrote: If not, then there was no reason to do it this way, as there is plenty of already designated greenfield north of Maple Grove Road up to the airport for this purpose.

Ah but Maple Grove is not in Wilmot, and how then would it contribute to their tax base.

It is the Region that is trying to assemble the land, not Wilmot.

Why try to assemble farmland in Wilmot to convert to industrial land when there are already a few thousand acres in Woolwich already so designated?

So contrary to the claims of folks like a3cr, not everyone who has concerns about this issue is 'misinformed'. I have been doing quite a bit of looking into the issue and putting it together in a couple of pieces for my newsletter (and there's more to come). I won't get into all of the concerns here (you can read my posts if you're curious) but expropriation for private interests, the fact that the recently approved ROP6 made zero interest of a need for lands here and generally focused on the East Side Lands as meeting much of the employment land needs until 2050, Wilmot wastewater systems are limited; not only is this prime 'Class 1' farmland but it falls within the Waterloo Moraine and given the majority of our region's drinking water comes from that area; not to mention the secrecy, I think there are numerous reasons to have some questions and concerns about what's being proposed here. https://citified.substack.com/p/hush-hus...ilmot-pt-1
As an aside (sorry if this isn't the right space for this), I have taken some time away from the site due to what I perceive as schoolyard antics and name-calling. The vast majority of folks here engage in respectful conversation, but those who don't make it less enjoyable for some of us. None of this is a critique of the moderators as most of what I'm referring to doesn't fall into anything other than simplistic name-calling, but it just gets old quickly. I guess I'm just wanting an online place to discuss the many great topics on this forum without the tiresome antics found on so much social media.
CTV: Wilmot turf war continues
The local business community is weighing in on the controversial sale of Wilmot farmland.
(04-30-2024, 03:52 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: So contrary to the claims of folks like a3cr, not everyone who has concerns about this issue is 'misinformed'. I have been doing quite a bit of looking into the issue and putting it together in a couple of pieces for my newsletter (and there's more to come). I won't get into all of the concerns here (you can read my posts if you're curious) but expropriation for private interests, the fact that the recently approved ROP6 made zero interest of a need for lands here and generally focused on the East Side Lands as meeting much of the employment land needs until 2050, Wilmot wastewater systems are limited; not only is this prime 'Class 1' farmland but it falls within the Waterloo Moraine and given the majority of our region's drinking water comes from that area; not to mention the secrecy, I think there are numerous reasons to have some questions and concerns about what's being proposed here. https://citified.substack.com/p/hush-hus...ilmot-pt-1

I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all of the work that you do to put together your newsletters, especially your Wilmont focused ones. I feel like it's so easy to lose track of the facts in this particular case, especially when governments aren't acting transparently. So I appreciate using your work as a resource.

Your opinions more-or-less align with my own on this topic, I think. It feels like a slap to the face when the Region commits to maintaining farmland in the area, but then buckles at the first hint of new private industrial development. These are the types of actions that should cause these officials to not be re-elected - how can they be trusted with anything if they can't be trusted to keep their word. There are interests on both sides of this argument that are perfectly valid, but the fact remains that this is land that was deemed off-limits. But now the Region is tossing their integrity aside to pave over our main water supply. Just wild.
(05-01-2024, 09:11 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all of the work that you do to put together your newsletters, especially your Wilmont focused ones. I feel like it's so easy to lose track of the facts in this particular case, especially when governments aren't acting transparently. So I appreciate using your work as a resource.

I would like to add my thanks. People on all sides of this issue should be grateful for the pulling together of many related pieces of information. In particular, I didn’t even know where specifically this land was until just now. I will go so far as to say that this is among the better journalism I have recently seen; far too many items I have read or watched skip over the facts and head straight for the concern, leaving me unclear on what the actual situation is.
(04-30-2024, 04:06 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: As an aside (sorry if this isn't the right space for this), I have taken some time away from the site due to what I perceive as schoolyard antics and name-calling. The vast majority of folks here engage in respectful conversation, but those who don't make it less enjoyable for some of us. None of this is a critique of the moderators as most of what I'm referring to doesn't fall into anything other than simplistic name-calling, but it just gets old quickly. I guess I'm just wanting an online place to discuss the many great topics on this forum without the tiresome antics found on so much social media.
This is so true. I had to take a break from this site for over a year to preserve my mental well being. Unfortunately it is a handful of individuals that ruin it for others. So many great participating people have left this site or just choose to no longer participate to avoid being attacked for their ideas and opinions.

(05-01-2024, 05:50 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 09:11 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all of the work that you do to put together your newsletters, especially your Wilmont focused ones. I feel like it's so easy to lose track of the facts in this particular case, especially when governments aren't acting transparently. So I appreciate using your work as a resource.

I would like to add my thanks. People on all sides of this issue should be grateful for the pulling together of many related pieces of information. In particular, I didn’t even know where specifically this land was until just now. I will go so far as to say that this is among the better journalism I have recently seen; far too many items I have read or watched skip over the facts and head straight for the concern, leaving me unclear on what the actual situation is.

Thanks to you both for the lovely feedback Smile
Does anyone know what is happening with the property on the other side of Highway 8 just past the Wilmot recreation complex? They have been moving dirt around for the past 2 years. Appears to be prep work for an industrial park.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »