Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
93-99 Benton St & 39 -43 St George St | 12 fl | Proposed
(07-17-2023, 11:19 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(07-16-2023, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes. The city should absolutely acquire that and incorporate it into the park.

The VPNA was pushing for the city to do this, but to no avail.

I actually agree with VPNA on something? 😮 😮 😮

I think this would need a bigger approach than just VPNA; park expansion would benefit many more people than just the Victoria Park neighbourhood.

(07-17-2023, 12:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 11:19 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: The VPNA was pushing for the city to do this, but to no avail.

I actually agree with VPNA on something? 😮 😮 😮

I think this would need a bigger approach than just VPNA; park expansion would benefit many more people than just the Victoria Park neighbourhood.

Should use some proceeds from the bus terminal redevelopment to buy and improve that space with some kind of west gateway to the park.
(07-17-2023, 12:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 12:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I actually agree with VPNA on something? 😮 😮 😮

Should use some proceeds from the bus terminal redevelopment to buy and improve that space with some kind of west gateway to the park.
This is another case where the layers of the municipalities will make it harder. What incentive does the Region of Waterloo have in funding expansion to a City of Kitchener Park through the sale of Regional Lands. They seem to focus their spending on economic development rather than Parkland. (Although they do lease McLennan park to the City for a token amount, mainly because its a garbage dump)
(07-17-2023, 01:04 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 12:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Should use some proceeds from the bus terminal redevelopment to buy and improve that space with some kind of west gateway to the park.
This is another case where the layers of the municipalities will make it harder. What incentive does the Region of Waterloo have in funding expansion to a City of Kitchener Park through the sale of Regional Lands. They seem to focus their spending on economic development rather than Parkland. (Although they do lease McLennan park to the City for a token amount, mainly because its a garbage dump)

Yeah I guess that mixes up the city and regional park land. I was thinking more of an option for another Regional museum and event space, such as the proposed space for indigenous history and culture.
(07-17-2023, 12:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 12:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I actually agree with VPNA on something? 😮 😮 😮

Or the parkland fees that the city collects with every new condo unit sold Smile I’m curious to where that’s all ended up
(07-17-2023, 02:49 PM)CP42 Wrote: Or the parkland fees that the city collects with every new condo unit sold Smile I’m curious to where that’s all ended up

This is obviously used to build recreational park space for the suburbs.
(07-17-2023, 01:04 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 12:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Should use some proceeds from the bus terminal redevelopment to buy and improve that space with some kind of west gateway to the park.
This is another case where the layers of the municipalities will make it harder. What incentive does the Region of Waterloo have in funding expansion to a City of Kitchener Park through the sale of Regional Lands.

The city parking lot next to the terminal will have substantial value, though, maybe even somewhat close to the decrepit storage property we're talking about.

As someone who is currently living on this property, this is an absolutely disgusting application and I (and everyone in the complex) will be in heavy opposition to this application.

These are affordable homes, many of which are filled with families, low-income, people on disability and OW. We work hard to keep the property maintained, clean and in good condition and absolutely do not deserve to be pushed out by some corporation from an entirely different city. 

Find another lot to build this empty shell on. There are two condos across the street that sit empty because nobody wants to pay the "market value". Stay out of our neighborhood, and stop displacing our citizens.
There's an article in today's Record on this proposal. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...f5573.html
(08-21-2023, 09:39 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: There's an article in today's Record on this proposal. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...f5573.html

I don't expect this will get turned down by the city, given their vision of high density for Benton, but I hope they can find a solution for the current residents. A loss of 13 modestly-priced units is significant.
With the glacial pace Vive operates I imagine the current residents will still have a couple years left unless they plan to demolish them soon.
I feel for the residents. Since the city refuses to upzone, real places like this will continue to be the only spots that developers can use. Developers getting the blame for another public policy failure.
local cambridge weirdo
(08-21-2023, 03:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: With the glacial pace Vive operates I imagine the current residents will still have a couple years left unless they plan to demolish them soon.

The project is no longer being done by Vive, it's being done by Ideal Capital who bought it in late 2022. So it might be done faster than what Vive does.

What are the chances that Kitchener (and Waterloo and Cambridge too), might follow Toronto's lead and require that lost units be replaced on site at the same rental rate? That might ease some of the concerns long-term.
(08-21-2023, 09:37 PM)nms Wrote: What are the chances that Kitchener (and Waterloo and Cambridge too), might follow Toronto's lead and require that lost units be replaced on site at the same rental rate? That might ease some of the concerns long-term.

Has it ever featured in any local discussion?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »