Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
93-99 Benton St & 39 -43 St George St | 12 fl | Proposed
Ideal Capital is proposing a 12 floor building containing 99 units 22 of which are 2 bedroom units. In the urban design report it says there is 110 square meters of commercial space fronting Benton and St George but in the plans provided there is only 53.7 square meters. There is a total of 52 parking spaces, 17 are above ground with the remaining 35 are below ground in 2 underground levels. Parking access is off of St George and Benton. There are a total of 94 bike spaces provided in the building but 105 are required based on zoning. There is a 45.2 square meter amenity room in the building as well as a small section at the rear of the site. The architect for this project is ABA.

Documents for ZBA/OPA: 93 Benton OPA/ZBA

Architectural Package: 93 Benton Drawings

Render From Benton:

I'll miss the existing row houses there. I think they were built sometime before 1930 though I'm just going by aerial photos for that date. Either way I like the early modernist simplicity of them.

If it's ABA, expect a surprise bag of various precast panels.
I thought that this was supposed to go in behind the the row.  That's disappointing.

The commericial space is so small it hardly seems worth the bother.
It is disappointing that they want to replace those row houses when there is a large empty lot next to them that could be built on first.
Interesting. Looks like the property was flipped as I thought the towns would be safe and the lot behind built on. KW is sorely lacking this kind of housing, especially from this age but the towns aren't in great shape on the inside and have very little charm left.
(07-14-2023, 09:06 AM)Acitta Wrote: It is disappointing that they want to replace those row houses when there is a large empty lot next to them that could be built on first.

Can't do much if the vacant owner wants to pay to keep it that way. One of many examples where low utility lots should have to pay a premium for staying that way (vacants, parking lots, etc.). As of right now, there is obviously not enough incentive to off-load the land instead of holding it to speculate (or avoid remediating if that is the case).
Makes me think of that huge semi-vacant lot by Mill/West Ave that's just next to Victoria Park. It's a significantly sized piece of land with immense value (not just monetary, mind you) and the owners do nothing but store a couple dozen dilapidated semi-trailers there. You could significantly expand Victoria Park by a large margin and create a secondary beautiful new entrance if it were in the City of Kitchener's possession, or if a private developer owned it they could easily redevelop it into something really nice.

(07-14-2023, 06:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Makes me think of that huge semi-vacant lot by Mill/West Ave that's just next to Victoria Park. It's a significantly sized piece of land with immense value (not just monetary, mind you) and the owners do nothing but store a couple dozen dilapidated semi-trailers there. You could significantly expand Victoria Park by a large margin and create a secondary beautiful new entrance if it were in the City of Kitchener's possession, or if a private developer owned it they could easily redevelop it into something really nice.

?  I don't think so.
Victoria/West is probably what Ac3r meant.
(07-14-2023, 12:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Interesting. Looks like the property was flipped as I thought the towns would be safe and the lot behind built on. KW is sorely lacking this kind of housing, especially from this age but the towns aren't in great shape on the inside and have very little charm left.

The townhouses were renovated inside and look quite clean and respectable. Not luxury, but nice.
(07-15-2023, 01:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-14-2023, 12:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Interesting. Looks like the property was flipped as I thought the towns would be safe and the lot behind built on. KW is sorely lacking this kind of housing, especially from this age but the towns aren't in great shape on the inside and have very little charm left.

The townhouses were renovated inside and look quite clean and respectable. Not luxury, but nice.

I've been inside then after the renos. Respectable sure, but very "flip" level fixes. The basements are absolutely ghastly.
(07-15-2023, 04:43 PM)Lens Wrote:
(07-15-2023, 01:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The townhouses were renovated inside and look quite clean and respectable. Not luxury, but nice.

I've been inside then after the renos. Respectable sure, but very "flip" level fixes. The basements are absolutely ghastly.

Haven't seen a basement but the main/second floors are clean and decent, especially at the current rents.
(07-15-2023, 07:54 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Victoria/West is probably what Ac3r meant.

Oh, yeah. West Ave, not Mill Street.

This is the plot of land I'm speaking about: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2%B...?entry=ttu

(07-15-2023, 05:41 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-15-2023, 07:54 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Victoria/West is probably what Ac3r meant.

Oh, yeah. West Ave, not Mill Street.

This is the plot of land I'm speaking about: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2%B...?entry=ttu

Yes. The city should absolutely acquire that and incorporate it into the park.
(07-16-2023, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-15-2023, 05:41 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oh, yeah. West Ave, not Mill Street.

Yes. The city should absolutely acquire that and incorporate it into the park.

The VPNA was pushing for the city to do this, but to no avail.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »