Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Infrastructure Announcement June 9th
So on the Region's Youtube page, and upcoming event "Virtual Infrastructure Announcement for Southwestern Ontario" has been set for Thursday, June 9th at 9am, involving all three levels of government.

Any ideas what this might be? I cannot think, offhand, of any rumours that I have heard of that this might be.

(06-06-2021, 01:11 PM)Bytor Wrote: So on the Region's Youtube page, and upcoming event "Virtual Infrastructure Announcement for Southwestern Ontario" has been set for Thursday, June 9th at 9am, involving all three levels of government.

Any ideas what this might be? I cannot think, offhand, of any rumours that I have heard of that this might be.

Maybe they are finally getting ready to start construction on the train station? or maybe (one can hope) they announce the funding by the Feds/Province for Ion Phase 2?

Could be also another non-announcement on 2WAD GO (I believe anything about this when I actually see it) or more highway spending.
(06-06-2021, 02:02 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 01:11 PM)Bytor Wrote: So on the Region's Youtube page, and upcoming event "Virtual Infrastructure Announcement for Southwestern Ontario" has been set for Thursday, June 9th at 9am, involving all three levels of government.

Maybe they are finally getting ready to start construction on the train station? or maybe (one can hope) they announce the funding by the Feds/Province for Ion Phase 2?

Could be also another non-announcement on 2WAD GO (I believe anything about this when I actually see it) or more highway spending.

This would not surprise me in the slightest, but I'm awfully cynical these days.

More train station funding is realistically the best possible case, Phase 2 ION is probably a pipe dream, and anything 2WAD GO is probably just another empty announcement. I'd also throw in the outside curve ball possibility of a bus service announcement, although it would be strange for that to be Waterloo Region specific.

But I have not heard any rumours about what it is either.
What aspect of a train station would be “virtual”?
(06-06-2021, 02:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What aspect of a train station would be “virtual”?

Presumably only the "announcement" (also possibly {insert joke about "virtual" 2WAD GO}).

Funding for the grand river bridges for Hwy 7 to Guelph? I doubt this though since something would've been rumored by now.
I would guess intercity bus service (GOBeyondTM?) since that could be quickly implemented without too much effort (say for a September 1, 2021 start while they ramp up acquisitions).  If it meant to cover Southwestern Ontario, I don't think it would be just limited to something inside Waterloo Region. 

How long did it take to launch GO Transit in from concept to first fare-paying passenger in 1967?

(06-08-2021, 08:44 PM)nms Wrote: How long did it take to launch GO Transit in from concept to first fare-paying passenger in 1967?

Two years: May 1965 to May 1967. Fast for rail (by today's standards) but slower than launching a bus service.
(06-08-2021, 09:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 08:44 PM)nms Wrote: How long did it take to launch GO Transit in from concept to first fare-paying passenger in 1967?

Two years: May 1965 to May 1967. Fast for rail (by today's standards) but slower than launching a bus service.

The speed at which things are done has less to do with what is being done and more to do with motivation.

We can do things quickly....COVID lanes came up in a few weeks.

No, they weren't permanent, they weren't meant to be. But the point is, if we want to do things quickly, we can. If we wanted bike lanes on Westmount immediately, we could do it, and over time we could convert them to a better permanent form.

When we pretend that things have to take years and years of planning we give ourselves excuses for not doing things.

There are limits obviously, trains need tracks before they can go somewhere, but we can do a lot within existing constraints...we could have bus service to Guelph in a few days if we chose too.

Doing some planning also makes sense, if we started running buses to Guelph before anyone was aware we were doing it, it would be kinda silly.  But we've been studying routes to Guelph for years, begging for a highway, and in all that time we've refused to actually just do it.

Hence: Motivation is the limiting factor.

So yeah TLDR, they could definitely be launching an intercity bus service, not a problem.  But I doubt it, I doubt there is motivation, and I doubt it would be announced "here", or at least as "here" gets virtually.

Is there a link to the announcement? I can only find one from April. I just noticed that today is Wed. June 9, so I was wondering if we'd get an announcement today or tomorrow.
It seems to have disappeared and the link from my history now gives me "video unavailable". :-(
So, what was announced?
It has reappeared now for June the 29th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYdmDJIzeA

Quote:Among the projects funded are improvements to Sunnyside Long Term Care Home with the purchase of two new generators, upgrades to the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system and exhaust fans to improve air quality.

In the City of Waterloo, upgrades to pathways, parks and woodlots across the city will enhance active transportation infrastructure and improve accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists. Funding will also help to create a new multi-use-path along Laurelwood Drive, add 350 native trees across the city and install an elevator at Button Factory Arts.

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Modules/...148d17cebc
That's desperately needed. I've been in Sunnyside LTC Home for work in the past and it's brutal in the summer.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »