Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-08-2023, 02:45 PM)Bytor Wrote: And how the heck does that take out multiple independent catenary electrification sections all the down to Market Station and up to Laurier Station, as as well as multiple track switches?

I know we did this cut-rate, but come on.

It didn't? The line is running from Willis Way and from GRH. Trains are only restricted from running due to debris on the tracks.

The offroad substations provide catenary power and are built much more solidly. The box that was hit provides power and communication to the station platform only.

According to the comments, it was an old lady who then kept trying to get items out of the car despite there be sparks flying...haha. No surprise if that was who was behind the wheel.
(11-08-2023, 01:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: Seems they were departing the Bauer Lofts lot and somehow put on far more speed than was warranted, while steering the wrong way.

I mean, certainly there was some speed, but this looks like a driver who was going to turn left out of Bauer Lofts parking lot and wasn't overly concerned by the transit station they had to drive through to do it.

Folks, this is who you share the roads with...but tell me again how cyclists are the real problem.
(11-08-2023, 02:59 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 02:45 PM)Bytor Wrote: And how the heck does that take out multiple independent catenary electrification sections all the down to Market Station and up to Laurier Station, as as well as multiple track switches?

I know we did this cut-rate, but come on.

It didn't? The line is running from Willis Way and from GRH. Trains are only restricted from running due to debris on the tracks.

The offroad substations provide catenary power and are built much more solidly. The box that was hit provides power and communication to the station platform only.

On https://www.grt.ca/en/service-updates/se...lerts.aspx

"ION trains are not running between Laurier-Waterloo Park Station and Kitchener Market Station due to a police investigation."
Any bets on whether the weather will be making people bus or taxi to work tomorrow? Doesn't seem too bad out there yet but the temperature is going to drop.
Elderly woman charged in crash that halted ION service
It is interesting that TransSee shows no ION service at all between the crash and about 2:15pm.

https://www.transsee.ca/operatechart?a=grt&r=301

Does anybody know the developer of that website and have insight as to why it is missing the trips during the bus bridge?

I just want to know why that box was standing in the path of the car. Didn’t it know that people need to get places?
(11-08-2023, 03:41 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 02:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: It didn't? The line is running from Willis Way and from GRH. Trains are only restricted from running due to debris on the tracks.

On https://www.grt.ca/en/service-updates/se...lerts.aspx

"ION trains are not running between Laurier-Waterloo Park Station and Kitchener Market Station due to a police investigation."

That came later, the original update was that service was running to GRH. The original update is still on X, https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/172...oNckg&s=19 .
https://x.com/alertsgrt/status/1722421697859518924

Quote:8:11 PM :  ION trains are not running between Conestoga Station and Grand River Hospital Station due to the weather.Service between Grand River Hospital and Central Station is using only one track in both directions. You may need ... (see grt.ca/alerts for details)

They did get it back up again by 9:41, but still first one of the season!
local cambridge weirdo
Haha. That was fast.

It would be nice if they just made the system free between November to March given how frequently this happens. Or always free. I don't think I've ever used a transit system this utterly useless and unreliable anywhere in the world. All it takes is a millimeter of freezing rain to cause catastrophic failure or some clueless driver to crash into the train...or to somehow jump up 30cm onto a platform. Luckily grandma only took out a piece of equipment instead of a stroller or a group of high school kids. The amount of total or partial system failures and accidents we've had in such a short span of time is unacceptable. I'm really glad my employer pays for me to use this thing because it sure wouldn't be worth the cost of a monthly pass otherwise.
(11-09-2023, 03:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Haha. That was fast.

It would be nice if they just made the system free between November to March given how frequently this happens. Or always free. I don't think I've ever used a transit system this utterly useless and unreliable anywhere in the world. All it takes is a millimeter of freezing rain to cause catastrophic failure or some clueless driver to crash into the train...or to somehow jump up 30cm onto a platform. Luckily grandma only took out a piece of equipment instead of a stroller or a group of high school kids. The amount of total or partial system failures and accidents we've had in such a short span of time is unacceptable. I'm really glad my employer pays for me to use this thing because it sure wouldn't be worth the cost of a monthly pass otherwise.

At least we don't have police pulling over our LRVs causing delays.... it could be worse
https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/11/cop-...streetcar/
Probably won't be an issue here, since our trains usually don't have priority over traffic. Our transit was designed in such a way that it'll pull out of a station only to have to stop at a light so the traffic can continue first.

(11-09-2023, 03:37 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 03:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Haha. That was fast.

At least we don't have police pulling over our LRVs causing delays.... it could be worse
https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/11/cop-...streetcar/

You know, when I was a kid, I respected police. I've become much less naive since then. But it's only the past couple of years when I've started to see police as a harmful actor in society.

I have to wonder if this is a real shift in society, or me just opening my eyes. I think in the US it's becoming a real shift, not sure about Canada. I do wish the police would have a little bit more self awareness so to understand how toxic a loss of trust from the public would be to them.
The only reason to respect the police is so you don't antagonize them enough to start bothering you just because they can.

Apart from that, there's no reason to grant them respect. Police - both as individuals and the entire system of policing - are not on our side. Their entire purpose is not to protect us. It's to find out how you, me and everyone else out there may be breaking a law so that they can come after you. The purpose is to keep citizens living in just enough paranoia that they will remain obedient to those in power.

For me it has been interesting to observe a shift in recent years how white people on all sides of the political spectrum have woken up to the fact they are all of our enemies - not just us people of colour or other minorities (such as economic). The right watched how police worked against them during, for example, the convoy protests. The left has seen how easily the police will go after them for supporting anything from homelessness to trans rights. Or it can be as banal as a bored cop deciding to ticket a streetcar just because they can. They don't really care whether the public trusts them or not because at the end of the day they can still arrest you, incarcerate you or put an end to your existence with a pull off a trigger.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »