Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-29-2021, 02:59 PM)Bytor Wrote:
Quote:As for asking for proof on whether city hall workers take the bus. I bet you 2000 dollars I'm right.

From reddit.

Anybody know any City or Regional Staff that take public transit to work? I'll buy pizzas for everybody with the $2,000. ;-)

Several, several also bike.

These folks throw tantrums like they're going out of style.

Imagine being offended that OTHER people aren't driving.

Man, that subreddit is still a trainwreck. How many people there cannot even conceive of someone not owning (not even driving but OWNING) a car. I'm glad I GTFO years ago.

A friend of ours works for the city and walks to work.

And I think I have just used up my quota of reading the reddits for the next month or three.
(09-29-2021, 02:59 PM)Bytor Wrote:
Quote:As for asking for proof on whether city hall workers take the bus. I bet you 2000 dollars I'm right.

From reddit.

Anybody know any City or Regional Staff that take public transit to work? I'll buy pizzas for everybody with the $2,000. ;-)

my guess the only time they are seen near public transit is for a photo op.
(09-29-2021, 04:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A friend of ours works for the city and walks to work.

And I think I have just used up my quota of reading the reddits for the next month or three.

To be honest, $170+tax for parking is a lot of incentive for taking transit. Plus any associated costs of driving the car/van/truck there and back.

You might recall that years ago the city had free parking for employees -- what the city was doing was illegal, and it was a form of tax evasion and the CRA caught up with them. I think after that, with free parking gone, many employees (the full time ones) opted for public transit.
(09-29-2021, 08:54 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 04:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A friend of ours works for the city and walks to work.

To be honest, $170+tax for parking is a lot of incentive for taking transit. Plus any associated costs of driving the car/van/truck there and back.

You might recall that years ago the city had free parking for employees -- what the city was doing was illegal, and it was a form of tax evasion and the CRA caught up with them. I think after that, with free parking gone, many employees (the full time ones) opted for public transit.

Charging for parking is the single most effectively policy for reducing car commuting.

Curb cuts are in for the crossing to the Willis Way station.
(10-02-2021, 12:23 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Curb cuts are in for the crossing to the Willis Way station.

Woo!

Also, is that an Urban Arrow? I think I saw you riding earlier--unless there are two similar looking cargo bikes in the city.

(10-02-2021, 12:23 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Curb cuts are in for the crossing to the Willis Way station.

Now can they just make it a *proper* crosswalk?
(10-02-2021, 01:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Woo!

Also, is that an Urban Arrow? I think I saw you riding earlier--unless there are two similar looking cargo bikes in the city.

It is. I rode down the Iron Horse Trail and then through downtown to near the market in the morning, so you might have seen me along there.
(09-29-2021, 10:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Charging for parking is the single most effectively policy for reducing car commuting.

And in particular charging every single day.
I know at least one City of Waterloo councilor does not own a car and walks or uses transit. Jane Mitchell, former Region of Waterloo councilor, was also a frequent user of and proponent of transit.
King and Union today

[Image: 0i29XpP.jpg]
You know, I was just thinking to myself yesterday ...

Reset to “zero days”.

(10-04-2021, 04:24 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: King and Union today 

[Image: 0i29XpP.jpg]
Is there a no left turn from King to Union?
(10-05-2021, 04:58 PM)kitborn Wrote: Is there a no left turn from King to Union?

Correct. Left turns from Union to King are allowed but not the opposite.

If only there were some way of clearly showing drivers what the rules are at each intersection…
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »