Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region District School Board
(10-23-2018, 08:52 PM)Drake Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 05:43 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: If proven, the appropriate penalty for this offense should be disqualification from this election, and a ban on running for any elected office in the country for a period of not less than 5 years. That is flagrant dishonesty of the sort that indisputably indicates the person is unfit for office.

I understood the quoted (and edited) reply of X to an attempt at humour. It was obvious the quoted text and original text didn’t match.

OK, that’s very different. I never saw the modified version. It’s a type of humour I would want to be very careful with, but it’s not dishonest if that’s what it was.

(10-23-2018, 03:47 PM)jamincan Wrote: He quoted jgsz's post, but then added his name into the list of people jgsz was planning on voting for.

so he manipulated the post...  wow, I am without words... What vacuum devoid of morals does this guy  exist in ?  Seriously, what did he expect to gain from doing that on this website????   The people on this site tend to be very informed and alive to issues in the region. Oh. and they tend to be intellectual (well I guess I am the exception to the rule)  Maybe he should research where he plays before he puts his foot in the sandbox !!
I've been glad he participated here, it definitely convinced me I would never vote for him.
Do we have evidence that proves the user who posted was the candidate?
(10-24-2018, 05:59 AM)Drake Wrote: Do we have evidence that proves the user who posted was the candidate?

I assumed it was the candidate.  Who else would bother?
The question was asked “Any suggestions on who is progressive on education issues?” He was only giving an answer! If the text was obviously different I would have got the humour and not seen it as being deceptive.
(10-24-2018, 09:10 AM)creative Wrote: The question was asked “Any suggestions on who is progressive on education issues?” He was only giving an answer! If the text was obviously different I would have got the humour and not seen it as being deceptive.

The text was not obviously different.  In fact, I had to take a second look because it looked like this person was one of my choices.  Too bad I didn't take a screenshot of it.

The text was NOT different. It was the standard font, size and link colour as all others. It looked like it was from the quoted post which it was not.

And based on the information I have, I'm confident in saying this user is indeed the candidate.
(10-24-2018, 09:10 AM)creative Wrote: The question was asked “Any suggestions on who is progressive on education issues?” He was only giving an answer! If the text was obviously different I would have got the humour and not seen it as being deceptive.

There's a material difference between responding to a quote and editing the quote. A fantastic example of appropriate self-promotion was David Kuhn's, and in fact his comment here helped me make my decision for my fourth choice.
I definitely didn't catch that he modified the quote except for the fact that jgsz had already commented at that point. I scrolled by and thought something along the lines of "isn't that nice that his activity on here seems to have gained him a vote, even if I probably wouldn't vote for him myself." I honestly probably would have banned him for a period of time for pulling a stunt like that.
(10-24-2018, 09:37 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:

There's a material difference between responding to a quote and editing the quote. A fantastic example of appropriate self-promotion was David Kuhn's, and in fact his comment here helped me make my decision for my fourth choice.

I'm very reluctant to change a post I'm quoting and if I do, I'll bold/underline/road flare it to make it clear something's up.  And mention why.  That being said, I rarely do it.

Your comment about Kuhn is very true.  He did it the right way.
(10-24-2018, 09:56 AM)jamincan Wrote: I definitely didn't catch that he modified the quote except for the fact that jgsz had already commented at that point. I scrolled by and thought something along the lines of "isn't that nice that his activity on here seems to have gained him a vote, even if I probably wouldn't vote for him myself." I honestly probably would have banned him for a period of time for pulling a stunt like that.

Appropriate actions were taken to discipline Xiaoming.  

The fact that you didn't notice is exactly why it was such a big issue.  There seemed to be legitimate effort to deceive.
(10-24-2018, 09:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: The text was NOT different.  It was the standard font, size and link colour as all others.  It looked like it was from the quoted post which it was not.  

And based on the information I have, I'm confident in saying this user is indeed the candidate.

To clarify what I meant by obviously different: The message I read from jgsz and the quoted jgsz message were, in my opinion, 'obviously different'. 

The two messages were close enough in the order of messages that it was obvious Xiaoming had edited the quoted message, as a name was added to a list of names. I don't see this as egregious as others, but I respect the opinion of those who take issue with it and apologize for any confusion I added.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »