Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
If you pay with cash then you have a paper transfer to show. But that's becoming more and more rare.

Saw 21902 with white LED destination signs on 29 just now. Is it the new Nova?
(11-27-2019, 12:46 AM)uw2022 Wrote: Saw 21902 with white LED destination signs on 29 just now. Is it the new Nova?

Yes. As far as I know all of this year's new Novabus buses have white LED signs.
I was in my online banking today and saw that "RMOW GRT (OV) 519-575-4400 ON" charged my Visa $20 for an auto-load on Monday when I was using my EasyGO card, and another $20 on Wednesday when I wasn't. Logged into the EasyGO site to view my card activity and it shows only a single $20 auto-load on Monday. Anyone else seen anything funny lately from the fare system? Guess I need to make a call...
(11-29-2019, 05:00 PM)KevinT Wrote: I was in my online banking today and saw that "RMOW GRT (OV) 519-575-4400 ON" charged my Visa $20 for an auto-load on Monday when I was using my EasyGO card, and another $20 on Wednesday when I wasn't. Logged into the EasyGO site to view my card activity and it shows only a single $20 auto-load on Monday. Anyone else seen anything funny lately from the fare system? Guess I need to make a call...
I know how you feel...

I tried loading $20 onto my EasyGO card at Waterloo Public Square station a month ago. Despite following all of the instructions on the screen, my first 3 attempts were declined by the machine. Finally the 4th attempt was successful (despite literally going through the exact same steps as the first 3 attempts).

When I checked my credit card statement, I had been charged $80 yet only $20 was applied to my EasyGO card.

I then called GRT and had my contact information and EasyGO card # passed to some GRT employee who eventually reached out to me. I was able to have the $60 refunded to my credit card after providing proof (credit card screen capture) that I had indeed been charged more than I should have.

An hour later, my wife noticed the same thing with her EasyGO account and credit card statement... she was overcharged by the TMV and attempted to go through the exact same process that I went through. Literally an hour after I had called in to request a refund for my card, the (different) customer service agent that she spoke to at GRT told her that he could not request a refund for the overcharged amount that was applied to her credit card and that she can have the money refunded by physically going to either Ainslie Terminal or GRT Customer Service Centre at King/Frederick. Annoyed, she told the customer service agent that I had literally experienced the same issue and that a different customer service agent told me that I could have the money refunded online.

In the end, both of us had our money refunded, but not before a final phone call informing this second customer service agent that he was providing information that was quite contrary to what had been provided an hour earlier.

Terrible experience, to say the least.
(11-29-2019, 05:00 PM)KevinT Wrote: I was in my online banking today and saw that "RMOW GRT (OV) 519-575-4400 ON" charged my Visa $20 for an auto-load on Monday when I was using my EasyGO card, and another $20 on Wednesday when I wasn't. Logged into the EasyGO site to view my card activity and it shows only a single $20 auto-load on Monday. Anyone else seen anything funny lately from the fare system? Guess I need to make a call...

I stopped at Benton/King to talk to them on my way to brunch this morning, they took my card to check the history and they're showing a balance of $40 and change, which is not what I was seeing on the web yesterday. Oh well, at least the money didn't disappear, but I have no idea why there would have been a second autoload occuring two days after I'd last used the card. Odd.
It looks like the GRT GTFS feed is broken. Last update posted on their website was for yesterday morning.

I changed jobs in the spring removing my requirement to go to Toronto on a regular basis, so I missed that in the September schedule change, GRT killed viable connections to the GO from the EB 204.

I may have been the only one using this connection, but it was quite useful to catch the morning express.

Sigh... seamless integration opportunities seems to bypass those who make the decisions at GRT.
Random question on a route name: the 7 Conestoga to Uptown. Runs only at peak times, loops around through Caroline Street, stops at Willis Way ION Station and goes to Waterloo Town Square and back north on King to Conestoga. Do you think this route should still be #7 even though it is quite different than the actual 7? I asked a bus driver and he told me that around 30% of the people that take it get super confused as to why it goes on Caroline and then loops back to Conestoga. I think this would be easily fixed by simply calling it a different number so people understand it is not the full 7. Thoughts?
(12-09-2019, 12:35 PM)urbd Wrote: Random question on a route name: the 7 Conestoga to Uptown. Runs only on peak times, loops around through Caroline Street, stops at Willis Way ION Station and goes to Waterloo Town Square and back north on King to Conestoga. Do you think this route should still be #7 even though it is quite different than the actual 7? I asked a bus driver and he told me that around 30% of the people that take it get super confused as to why it goes on Caroline and then loops back to Conestoga. I think this would be easily fixed by simply calling it a different number so people understand it is not the full 7. Thoughts?

Agreed. Is it too soon to call it 7A? Smile
(12-09-2019, 12:37 PM)bpoland Wrote: Agreed.  Is it too soon to call it 7A? Smile

Surely 7C would be more appropriate. :-)
(12-09-2019, 12:47 PM)timc Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 12:37 PM)bpoland Wrote: Agreed.  Is it too soon to call it 7A? Smile

Surely 7C would be more appropriate. :-)

I felt my one eye start to twitch a little when I read these two comments.

In all seriousness, it's not the same route so should be given a different number. "7=KingStreet." Even my kids know that.
I wonder why this short turn even exists.

(12-09-2019, 12:35 PM)urbd Wrote: Random question on a route name: the 7 Conestoga to Uptown. Runs only at peak times, loops around through Caroline Street, stops at Willis Way ION Station and goes to Waterloo Town Square and back north on King to Conestoga. Do you think this route should still be #7 even though it is quite different than the actual 7? I asked a bus driver and he told me that around 30% of the people that take it get super confused as to why it goes on Caroline and then loops back to Conestoga. I think this would be easily fixed by simply calling it a different number so people understand it is not the full 7. Thoughts?

I could go either way on this. It’s not really a different route, just a scheduled short turn of the main route. So the different destination captures what is going on. On the other hand, we have a small system with not that many route numbers and to my knowledge few if any other examples of different destinations for the same route, so putting it right in the route number might be helpful. I would say that it should definitely just be a letter — giving it a completely different number would not help with clarity.
(12-09-2019, 03:37 PM)MidTowner Wrote: In all seriousness, it's not the same route so should be given a different number. "7=KingStreet." Even my kids know that.

That is much more true now than before, but the 7 has never been a King-only route. And the deviation now is really just to turn around; it’s not a real branch to a completely different destination.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »