Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener Ward 9 candidates
(10-02-2018, 10:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for Molto, he's made his position on sidewalk clearing quite clear:  https://twitter.com/PhilipMolto/status/1...6300114956 I certainly wouldn't vote for someone with such a ridiculous suggestion about how to solve a real problem in our city.

Wow, that really is an amazingly stupid tweet. Funny thing is, if we all contribute via our taxes, we can have our sidewalks cleared and only each pay for clearing 1 neighbour’s sidewalk (a different neighbour pays for our own). In other words, taxes are the systematic, modern, fair extension of his idea of all helping each other.

(10-02-2018, 04:46 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 10:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for Molto, he's made his position on sidewalk clearing quite clear:  https://twitter.com/PhilipMolto/status/1...6300114956 I certainly wouldn't vote for someone with such a ridiculous suggestion about how to solve a real problem in our city.

Wow, that really is an amazingly stupid tweet. Funny thing is, if we all contribute via our taxes, we can have our sidewalks cleared and only each pay for clearing 1 neighbour’s sidewalk (a different neighbour pays for our own). In other words, taxes are the systematic, modern, fair extension of his idea of all helping each other.

I have said this a thousand times to Councillors such as Davey every time they lament the idea that community would be lost by having city clear sidewalks.

I show my care for my community by arguing for funding important things to improve the lives of those in the community.
(09-28-2018, 08:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 05:16 PM)clasher Wrote: Seems like they both have very similar platforms too, at least from my cursory glance at things.

Similar … but Chapman clearly prefers heritage to development, whereas Bowman agrees that we also need development (and housing, specifically), we cannot preserve everything that's old. 

So that definitely tells me who I want to vote for.

I talked to Bowman at the door today. She was very clear on development that she believes the route to retaining housing affordability in the core is more development, ensuring prices aren't driven up due to lack of supply. She made it pretty clear, without pushing my own viewpoint, that she was in favour of the Vive development on Queen St (and had lots of good explanations as to why she supported it).
(10-02-2018, 05:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have said this a thousand times to Councillors such as Davey every time they lament the idea that community would be lost by having city clear sidewalks.

I show my care for my community by arguing for funding important things to improve the lives of those in the community.

Well said. But just imagine the community we would have if we each pitched in to shovel the road in front of our house! Also, I’m pretty good with wires. I could probably maintain the portion of the electrical and telephone wires running past my property.
(10-02-2018, 06:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 05:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have said this a thousand times to Councillors such as Davey every time they lament the idea that community would be lost by having city clear sidewalks.

Well said. But just imagine the community we would have if we each pitched in to shovel the road in front of our house! Also, I’m pretty good with wires. I could probably maintain the portion of the electrical and telephone wires running past my property.

Indeed!  And I have my opinions about road design...I'd love to control the road outside my place. Tongue
(10-02-2018, 06:22 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 08:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Similar … but Chapman clearly prefers heritage to development, whereas Bowman agrees that we also need development (and housing, specifically), we cannot preserve everything that's old. 

So that definitely tells me who I want to vote for.

I talked to Bowman at the door today. She was very clear on development that she believes the route to retaining housing affordability in the core is more development, ensuring prices aren't driven up due to lack of supply. She made it pretty clear, without pushing my own viewpoint, that she was in favour of the Vive development on Queen St (and had lots of good explanations as to why she supported it).

This is the main reason I would support Melissa over Debbie.
(10-02-2018, 08:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 06:22 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I talked to Bowman at the door today. She was very clear on development that she believes the route to retaining housing affordability in the core is more development, ensuring prices aren't driven up due to lack of supply. She made it pretty clear, without pushing my own viewpoint, that she was in favour of the Vive development on Queen St (and had lots of good explanations as to why she supported it).

This is the main reason I would support Melissa over Debbie.

Yeah, I think it made my decision that I'm voting for her. Both will make for reasonable councillors though, and an improvement over Etherington.

A Melissa Bowman interview by Hannah Marie:
https://www.facebook.com/hannahcarter/vi...498935735/
Does anyone know why the Labour Council decided to endorse Debbie over Melissa? (https://www.wrlc.ca/endorsed_candidates)

I think Melissa Bowman definitely has her finger on the pulse of cycling needs – I had coffee with her very early in the campaign to talk about Hold The Line, cycling, business issues, downtown issues... she listened intently, asked good questions, and even seemed interested when I floated the idea of upzoning low-rise residential neighbourhoods.
(10-08-2018, 08:50 PM)samnabi Wrote: Does anyone know why the Labour Council decided to endorse Debbie over Melissa? (https://www.wrlc.ca/endorsed_candidates)

I think Melissa Bowman definitely has her finger on the pulse of cycling needs – I had coffee with her very early in the campaign to talk about Hold The Line, cycling, business issues, downtown issues... she listened intently, asked good questions, and even seemed interested when I floated the idea of upzoning low-rise residential neighbourhoods.

Isn't Chapman a member or somehow involved with the Labour Council? To me, it would make sense that the Labour Council would endorse their own members over someone from the outside. Also, I'm not sure why a federal lobby group like the labour council would want to be involved at the municipal level...unless they're trying to influence council  Dodgy
(10-09-2018, 02:20 PM)BrainyWise Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 08:50 PM)samnabi Wrote: Does anyone know why the Labour Council decided to endorse Debbie over Melissa? (https://www.wrlc.ca/endorsed_candidates)

Isn't Chapman a member or somehow involved with the Labour Council? To me, it would make sense that the Labour Council would endorse their own members over someone from the outside. Also, I'm not sure why a federal lobby group like the labour council would want to be involved at the municipal level...unless they're trying to influence council  Dodgy

The City of Kitchener only allows unionized businesses to submit bids, so the Labour Council has a big interest in who is elected.
Rogers has posted the Ward 9 debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gor08yxTAuc
I posted a general link for the TriTag survey in the Regional Council forum but here is the one for Ward 9:

http://tritag.ca/election2018/#Kitchener...councillor

Thanks. Not really exciting, I'm still happy with my choice (Melissa Bowman). Anyway, I already voted in the advance polls so no chance to change it now! Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »