Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(04-16-2024, 08:19 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Is this actually a service reduction for the Bloor/Weston <-> Union trips? Yes, there's fewer UPX trains stopping there, but there's a bunch of new GO trains making those stops. If GO trains are every 30, and UPX is every 30, with appropriate timing there's still service every 15.

My only complaint is that when coming from KW I use Weston as my transfer point between the GO train and UPX. It'll be annoying if I have to overshoot all the way to Union. I've already been thinking GO should have the express trains stop at Weston just for the UPX connection.

Maybe it wasn't, but it was perceived as one? The increased Bramalea to Union service is also going to be a lot.

(04-17-2024, 07:06 PM)plam Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 08:19 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Is this actually a service reduction for the Bloor/Weston <-> Union trips? Yes, there's fewer UPX trains stopping there, but there's a bunch of new GO trains making those stops. If GO trains are every 30, and UPX is every 30, with appropriate timing there's still service every 15.

My only complaint is that when coming from KW I use Weston as my transfer point between the GO train and UPX. It'll be annoying if I have to overshoot all the way to Union. I've already been thinking GO should have the express trains stop at Weston just for the UPX connection.

Maybe it wasn't, but it was perceived as one? The increased Bramalea to Union service is also going to be a lot.

For a number of trip pairs, it was a substantial service reduction. For instance, a counter-flow traveller going from Weston to Union might have previously had 5 trains in an hour in the afternoon. With the halving of UPX service, they'd then have 3. The new schedules don't add any counter-peak trains, and since the trips aren't equally spaced, this means a good chance that the headway experienced by our hypothetical traveller is doubled. Even at favourable times, it's a reduction from 5 trains an hour to 4 poorly-spaced ones.
You see what happens when you people demand more GO Transit service? Alstom tries to deny vacation time to employees. :-)

Exclusive: union head speaks out after GO workers denied vacation
They have less than a year remaining on that contract, and are trying to milk whatever they can from the workers before it concludes.
https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/perfe...b9951.html

Quote:If everything goes perfectly, GO Train construction could begin in Cambridge in six years.

That was part of the update on proposed Go Train service between Cambridge and Guelph, and onto Union Station, that was provided to Cambridge city council Tuesday by Oriana Aguas, project manager with the region’s transportation services department.
“There’s a lot of things that need to happen before that,” Aguas cautioned.
local cambridge weirdo
(Yesterday, 10:06 AM)bravado Wrote: https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/perfe...b9951.html

Quote:If everything goes perfectly, GO Train construction could begin in Cambridge in six years.

That was part of the update on proposed Go Train service between Cambridge and Guelph, and onto Union Station, that was provided to Cambridge city council Tuesday by Oriana Aguas, project manager with the region’s transportation services department.
“There’s a lot of things that need to happen before that,” Aguas cautioned.

So in other words don't expect GO trains from Cambridge until 2040-2050 at the earliest.  North America is a joke when it comes to transportation infrastructure timelines, it is actually getting out of control. I don't necessarily think that the proposed GO between cambridge and Guelph is the best option, but it should not take a decade+ to upgrade 18km of track.  

I have a feeling like we will be talking about this plan in 2034 with no progress made.
(Yesterday, 12:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:06 AM)bravado Wrote: https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/perfe...b9951.html

So in other words don't expect GO trains from Cambridge until 2040-2050 at the earliest.  North America is a joke when it comes to transportation infrastructure timelines, it is actually getting out of control. I don't necessarily think that the proposed GO between cambridge and Guelph is the best option, but it should not take a decade+ to upgrade 18km of track.  

I have a feeling like we will be talking about this plan in 2034 with no progress made.

Do we know how many new trainsets are currently on order for GO? If they're going to be running 15-min, all-day-two-way service on most lines, they must need more trains than they currently have available. I imagine this factors into the equation too - Cambridge/Guelph would need an additional couple of trains to be operational, and if they don't have the physical trains, they can't get that service started. I imagine it takes a few years to turn around trainset orders, but ideally they're working through those as fast as possible.

This specific route would be smaller electric units, closer to LRT units than big diesel ones. The fact that the rails exist and need minimal new crossings/signaling is the only positive behind the aggressive timeframe.
local cambridge weirdo
(Yesterday, 12:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote: So in other words don't expect GO trains from Cambridge until 2040-2050 at the earliest.  North America is a joke when it comes to transportation infrastructure timelines, it is actually getting out of control. I don't necessarily think that the proposed GO between Cambridge and Guelph is the best option, but it should not take a decade+ to upgrade 18km of track.  

Aside from countries with authoritarian regimes, what's a typical timeline elsewhere for an infrastructure upgrade like this one? For instance:
1. We know that the track is privately owned, so negotiations needs to happen with CN before anything happens.
2. We know that there are no existing trainsets waiting to run.
3. We know that various capital budgets (municipal, provincial and federal) often are planned multiple years in advance.

What could be done differently here to speed things up?
(Today, 07:29 AM)nms Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote: So in other words don't expect GO trains from Cambridge until 2040-2050 at the earliest.  North America is a joke when it comes to transportation infrastructure timelines, it is actually getting out of control. I don't necessarily think that the proposed GO between Cambridge and Guelph is the best option, but it should not take a decade+ to upgrade 18km of track.  

Aside from countries with authoritarian regimes, what's a typical timeline elsewhere for an infrastructure upgrade like this one? For instance:
1. We know that the track is privately owned, so negotiations needs to happen with CN before anything happens.
3. We know that various capital budgets (municipal, provincial and federal) often are planned multiple years in advance.

I'd really like to know how Montreal/Quebec managed to plan, build and get ridership underway for the REM system so fast. That's a Canadian example that we really should be looking to emulate. The project officially started in 2015, they had contractors by early 2018 and broke ground a few months later, and despite delays (COVID and buried century-old explosives), they still opened the first stations in mid-2023. That's just 8 years to go from concept to execution, and they're still expanding the system.
(11 hours ago)SF22 Wrote:
(Today, 07:29 AM)nms Wrote: Aside from countries with authoritarian regimes, what's a typical timeline elsewhere for an infrastructure upgrade like this one? For instance:

I'd really like to know how Montreal/Quebec managed to plan, build and get ridership underway for the REM system so fast. That's a Canadian example that we really should be looking to emulate. The project officially started in 2015, they had contractors by early 2018 and broke ground a few months later, and despite delays (COVID and buried century-old explosives), they still opened the first stations in mid-2023. That's just 8 years to go from concept to execution, and they're still expanding the system.

The sad thing is that Montreal/Quebec are not even emulating it. The REM Est or whatever it was to be called is basically going back to the same bullshit of all usual government planning.

To me, it feels like a power issue more than anything, REM was developed by the pension fund in some way, I'm not really understanding the relationship, but it feels like a power thing.

As for how to make projects like this, I think we have home grown examples we should emulate. A decade before planning for the ION started in earnest, we built the iXpress as a proof of concept for it. We could have a bus service to Guelph tomorrow...the fact we aren't shows we're either bad at this, or not serious about this.
(03-19-2024, 04:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: Of course, I think we should have both Guelph and Milton, and the Lakeshore West Hamilton→Brantford extension that takes back the Paris rail trail and loops up to Cambridge.

You don't have to take back the Cambridge to Paris rail trail, the old line through Branchton and Harrisburg to Lyndon will get you to the same spot in Cambridge without the time consuming jog through Brantford. Will it ever happen? No.
(Yesterday, 01:13 PM)SF22 Wrote: Do we know how many new trainsets are currently on order for GO? If they're going to be running 15-min, all-day-two-way service on most lines, they must need more trains than they currently have available.

There will be new orders as part of the electrification plan, those units will be catenary-electric and run on the upgraded lines, freeing up diesel units for the rest of the network (though they will also get catenary-electric locomotives to push the existing cars). Not sure how big an order that is, and when it will be implemented.

But as mentioned above, Cambridge-Guelph would use unique units for that shuttle service (either DMUs or battery EMUs).

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »