Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(08-17-2020, 09:32 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 06:33 PM)ac3r Wrote: how fast we can get improved HVAC systems in the schools (if we are even doing that? I know it was trending on Twitter the other day and people were wondering how the hell we can upgrade HVAC in thousands of schools across the country)

Last Thursday's announcements included $50 million (new money I think, not reserves, assuming I'm reading it correctly) provincially for HVAC.

https://news.ontario.ca/edu/en/2020/08/o...staff.html

The money is there, but there are thousands of schools across the county. There is surely no way to get all of that up and running by September. CTV states there are over 4800 public schools in Ontario alone. How do they plan on sourcing all the parts or brand new HVAC units (which are surely in dire need...schools can barely stay heated in winter) never mind install and test them all before September? That's a couple weeks away. I doubt there are even enough certified HVAC technicians in Ontario to tackle a job this big.

Why are you asking me? Send a letter to your MPP. Complaining about it on a forum does shit all.
(08-17-2020, 10:07 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 09:32 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Last Thursday's announcements included $50 million (new money I think, not reserves, assuming I'm reading it correctly) provincially for HVAC.

https://news.ontario.ca/edu/en/2020/08/o...staff.html

The money is there, but there are thousands of schools across the county. There is surely no way to get all of that up and running by September. CTV states there are over 4800 public schools in Ontario alone. How do they plan on sourcing all the parts or brand new HVAC units (which are surely in dire need...schools can barely stay heated in winter) never mind install and test them all before September? That's a couple weeks away. I doubt there are even enough certified HVAC technicians in Ontario to tackle a job this big.

It's only $10K per school, which will not pay for any kind of a new HVAC system. I would guess a school-sized HVAC system would cost well over $100K, even for a smallish school. It's really just a top-up for the existing funding levels.

The most cost-effective option could be the addition of HEPA filtration for existing HVAC systems. Maybe. HEPA filtration is equivalent to an N100 mask, filtering out 99.97% of 0.3um particles. N95 masks filter out 95% of those.
Waterloo Region reported eight new cases, or 0.6% of the total and 20% of the active cases. New cases averaging 10.1% of active cases over the past seven days.

A full update will not come until Tuesday due to a system switchover.

Ontario reported 99 new cases today with a seven-day average of 83. 83 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 16 active cases and a total of 920 active cases. A weekly total change of -74. 25,567 tests for a 0.39% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.31% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.2% of the total and 10.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 9.2% of actives over the past seven days.
  • 26 cases in Toronto: 0.8 per 100K population
  • 25 cases in Peel: 2.5 per 100K population
  • 19 cases in Ottawa: 1.9 per 100K population
  • 8 cases in Waterloo: 1.3 per 100K population
(08-14-2020, 03:42 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I was curious about the change in positivity rate over time. I grabbed the past week or so's from Tom's posts, and a couple of random ones from July and June. How reporting is done has changed at least once since mid-June according to posts in this thread, so comparing them probably isn't entirely fair but it helped me understand our current state a little bit, I think.

Here is the complete data set of Waterloo Region tests and positives (at least that I have).

Attached Files
.xlsx   Waterloo Region COVID test data.xlsx (Size: 14.55 KB / Downloads: 48)
(08-17-2020, 10:13 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Why are you asking me? Send a letter to your MPP. Complaining about it on a forum does shit all.

Why are you giving me such a dickhead reply? GF. Wasn't specifically asking you anyway, it's a thread, not a direct message. tomh009 elaborated.
(08-17-2020, 11:49 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 10:13 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Why are you asking me? Send a letter to your MPP. Complaining about it on a forum does shit all.

Why are you giving me such a dickhead reply? GF. Wasn't specifically asking you anyway, it's a thread, not a direct message. tomh009 elaborated.

You quoted a message from me. Part of your response was a question. I apologize for misinterpreting these cues. I do not know what "GF" means, and would appreciate if you feel like elaborating.

Waterloo Region's reporting system is back! It all looks basically the same, but they did tweak a bunch of earlier data points.

Today they reported five new cases, or 0.4% of the total and 12.5% of the active cases. New cases averaging 10.9% of active cases over the past seven days, and the active cases have gone up from 26 to 40 over the same time period.

An average of 254 tests per day for the past six days, for an average positivity rate of 1.47% Both the positivity rate and the number of new cases are up substantially over the past week, and the active caseload has popped up from the low of 20 (two weeks ago) to 40 today.

Ontario reported 125 new cases today with a seven-day average of 97. 90 recoveries and four deaths translated to an increase of 31 active cases and a total of 951 active cases. A weekly total change of -1, down by just a single case. 23,067 tests for a 0.54% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.37% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 13.1% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.6% of actives over the past seven days.
  • 28 cases in Windsor-Essex: 15.6 per 100K population
  • 27 cases in Toronto: 0.8 per 100K population
  • 17 cases in Peel: 1.7 per 100K population
  • 12 cases in Waterloo: 1.3 per 100K population (including delayed reporting from system switchover)

Windsor is back in the news ...
New reporting method shows up to 20 children under the age of 10 have had Covid-19 in Waterloo Region. The next lowest group, 10 to 19 years of age, shows 38 people have been infected.
Waterloo Region reported two new cases (and adjusted some prior reports down), or 0.1% of the total and 5.9% of the active cases. After their corrections, new cases are now averaging 8.9% of active cases over the past seven days, and the active cases have gone up from 26 to 40 over the same time period.

An average of 254 tests per day for the past six days, for an average positivity rate of 1.47% Both the positivity rate and the number of new cases are up substantially over the past week, and the active caseload is back down to 34, although up five in the last seven days.

Ontario reported 102 new cases today with a seven-day average of 98. 89 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 13 active cases and a total of 965 active cases. A weekly total change of +53. 25,642 tests for a 0.40% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.37% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.2% of the total and 10.6% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.6% of actives over the past seven days.
  • 33 cases in Toronto: 1.1 per 100K population
  • 18 cases in Peel: 1.8 per 100K population
  • 18 cases in Ottawa: 1.8 per 100K population
  • 17 cases in Huron-Perth: 17.0 per 100K population
  • 2 cases in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K population (based on regional reporting)

SWO keeps it up: if it's not Windsor or Chatham, it's Huron-Perth.
I wondered when Huron-Perth would get more cases. Will be interesting to watch. There is a lot of hatred of masks and a lot of plandemic crap going on over there. Folks tell me it is just a Toronto problem. Examples from other countries show that lower density areas tend to have higher death rates due to lack of beds.
(08-19-2020, 02:56 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: I wondered when Huron-Perth would get more cases. Will be interesting to watch. There is a lot of hatred of masks and a lot of plandemic crap going on over there. Folks tell me it is just a Toronto problem. Examples from other countries show that lower density areas tend to have higher death rates due to lack of beds.

"(Dr Miriam) Klassen says the newest cases are related to a workplace outbreak at the Zehrs Country Markets south of Bayfield and in Dashwood and many of them are clustered within one or two households. She added these cases are also connected to a larger spread of cases across Southwestern Ontario."

Now, that was yesterday and it's not clear to me whether that's also at the root of today's increase.
Off topic but totally on topic:

Watching the Princess Bride tonight. You go in about 27 minutes into he movie (that includes the 20th Century FanFare) and Fezzik asks Westley "Why you wearing a mask. - snip -" and Westley answers "snip -- I think everyone in the future will be wearing one"

Kinda of crazy..

Waterloo Region reported seven new cases or 0.5% of the total and 17.5% of the active cases. New cases are now averaging 10.9% of active cases over the past seven days, and the active cases have gone up from 29 to 40 over the same time period. 27 new cases over that week, so the 40 active count will not drop quickly.

Next testing report on Friday.

Ontario reported 76 new cases today with a seven-day average of 97. 76 recoveries and one death translated to a drop of a single active case and a current total of 964. A weekly total change of +73. 25,917 tests for a 0.29% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.37% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.2% of the total and 7.9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.5% of actives over the past seven days.
  • 21 cases in Toronto: 0.7 per 100K population
  • 19 cases in Peel: 1.9 per 100K population
  • 11 cases in Ottawa: 1.1 per 100K population
  • 7 cases in Waterloo: 1.1 per 100K population (based on regional reporting)
(08-20-2020, 02:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Waterloo Region reported seven new cases or 0.5% of the total and 17.5% of the active cases. New cases are now averaging 10.9% of active cases over the past seven days, and the active cases have gone up from 29 to 40 over the same time period. 27 new cases over that week, so the 40 active count will not drop quickly.

Next testing report on Friday.

Ontario reported 76 new cases today with a seven-day average of 97. 76 recoveries and one death translated to a drop of a single active case and a current total of 964. A weekly total change of +73. 25,917 tests for a 0.29% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.37% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.2% of the total and 7.9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.5% of actives over the past seven days.
  • 21 cases in Toronto: 0.7 per 100K population
  • 19 cases in Peel: 1.9 per 100K population
  • 11 cases in Ottawa: 1.1 per 100K population
  • 7 cases in Waterloo: 1.1 per 100K population (based on regional reporting)

Well, maybe Ontario has leveled off we will see, but I am still rather concerned...we are spiking something fierce.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »