Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
With all the recent talk of police reform, a good idea might be an agency or force focused on traffic enforcement that actually makes drivers accountable for crap like this.

(07-19-2020, 08:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: With all the recent talk of police reform, a good idea might be an agency or force focused on traffic enforcement that actually makes drivers accountable for crap like this.

In particular they don't really need guns or the ability to use force. I mean, red light cameras don't have guns.
Strange how the same arguments come up everywhere.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/...eyre-wrong

Quote:7. How do I carry work tools/a fridge on a bike?
See also: “My 85-year-old granny has two plastic hips and walks with a Zimmer frame – how do you expect her to ride everywhere?”
The most tempting response to this is a deep sigh: no one to my knowledge has suggested that if you build safe cycling routes, that will be the only form of transport on offer, let alone compulsory. And while there’s a wider case for removing private cars from urban areas, even if you build cycling infrastructure then roads and cars – as well as buses – will still exist. They will also move more freely for those who really need them.
Now that the region is slowly improving biking infrastructure, I'm thinking of picking up a lightweight road bike to get around the city. Would a single speed make sense in the region? Or would you say it's too hilly? And is Ziggy's still the best choice for bikes? I want something that isn't worth too much money, as I have a feeling it'd be inevitably stolen in this city, unfortunately.
I'd recommend Black Arrow Cycles near Queen and Charles -- Jesse and the folks there are knowledgeable and super nice. I think he said he rides a single speed so it's definitely possible Smile
Single-speed is fine, but if you are worried about it an internally geared hub offers a lot of the benefits of single-speed.

I think any of the major bike shops in the region would be good options. I personally use Ziggy's but I have friends who are loyal customers at McPhail's, King Street Cycles and Black Arrow as well.

Another option might be to check out Recycle Cycles. You're more likely to find a lower-budget option that you are less worried about being stolen and might be able to talk to them and have a single-speed built up specifically for your needs.

https://www.theworkingcentre.org/recycle-cycles/153
I was at Ziggy's last week and they had very few bikes left for sale. Black Arrow has a lot more in stock.

Single speed is good for lower maintenance and a lot of the city trails tend to follow the creeks and it's possible to avoid a lot of the hills.

Recycle Cycles is still closed because of covid and there's no indication it's going to reopen anytime soon, at least nothing seems posted on their website about it. I know the working centre got hit hard by Ford gov't cuts so I'd imagine that covid didn't help things.

(07-22-2020, 09:47 AM)clasher Wrote: I was at Ziggy's last week and they had very few bikes left for sale. Black Arrow has a lot more in stock.

Single speed is good for lower maintenance and a lot of the city trails tend to follow the creeks and it's possible to avoid a lot of the hills.

Recycle Cycles is still closed because of covid and there's no indication it's going to reopen anytime soon, at least nothing seems posted on their website about it. I know the working centre got hit hard by Ford gov't cuts so I'd imagine that covid didn't help things.

I had heard they were doing some sort of thing in Victoria Park, but I'm a bit foggy on the details.
There is always the Kijiji option, also less likely to be stolen (and more cost-effective in the first place).

For example:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cruiser-commuter...1512619049
(07-22-2020, 10:47 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 09:47 AM)clasher Wrote: I was at Ziggy's last week and they had very few bikes left for sale. Black Arrow has a lot more in stock.

I had heard they were doing some sort of thing in Victoria Park, but I'm a bit foggy on the details.

Kitchener Bike Rescue, it's some folks that used to volunteer at R/C but it's not part of the working centre or recycle cycles, and they don't really have parts for sale or any used bikes for sale. It's more like the pop-up events that Recycle Cycles used to do at community centres, just the most basic kind of tune-ups and assessments.
(07-19-2020, 07:19 PM)jeffster Wrote: (pet peeve is still drivers not stopping at red lights (when turning right)

So true. Isn’t it enough that we allow proceeding after stopping, without waiting for the green? No, of course not, they have to shave off the extra second or two and not even stop.
(07-26-2020, 08:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 07:19 PM)jeffster Wrote: (pet peeve is still drivers not stopping at red lights (when turning right)

So true. Isn’t it enough that we allow proceeding after stopping, without waiting for the green? No, of course not, they have to shave off the extra second or two and not even stop.

What we should really do is what Europe does and use Yield signs for most of the intersections that do not need a full stop. And where there is a Stop, it really means STOP. Same for red lights.

At the moment, I am really frustrated by drivers that don't even feign to slow down at the stop signs/red lights. Not that many as a percentage, but still too many.
(07-26-2020, 09:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 08:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: So true. Isn’t it enough that we allow proceeding after stopping, without waiting for the green? No, of course not, they have to shave off the extra second or two and not even stop.

What we should really do is what Europe does and use Yield signs for most of the intersections that do not need a full stop. And where there is a Stop, it really means STOP. Same for red lights.

At the moment, I am really frustrated by drivers that don't even feign to slow down at the stop signs/red lights. Not that many as a percentage, but still too many.

Yet, these same idiot drivers stop at Yield signs and yield or stop when no sign is present. I think I mentioned it a few times, but idiots turning right onto Ottawa from Fischer-Hallman towards Sunrise Shopping Centre. It's not a yield. It's not a stop. It's your lane, so treat it as such.

(07-27-2020, 12:04 AM)jeffster Wrote: Yet, these same idiot drivers stop at Yield signs and yield or stop when no sign is present. I think I mentioned it a few times, but idiots turning right onto Ottawa from Fischer-Hallman towards Sunrise Shopping Centre. It's not a yield. It's not a stop. It's your lane, so treat it as such.

To be fair, it’s probably different idiots. There are even some drivers who seem not to be aware that we have right turn on red — they just sit there at the line, not even attempting to creep forward so they can see if it is safe to turn.

And while I usually notice a lot of bad motor vehicle driving, the worst thing I saw recently was a pair of people on bicycles coming right at me immediately after I made a perfectly legal right turn on red.
(07-27-2020, 09:27 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 12:04 AM)jeffster Wrote: Yet, these same idiot drivers stop at Yield signs and yield or stop when no sign is present. I think I mentioned it a few times, but idiots turning right onto Ottawa from Fischer-Hallman towards Sunrise Shopping Centre. It's not a yield. It's not a stop. It's your lane, so treat it as such.

To be fair, it’s probably different idiots. There are even some drivers who seem not to be aware that we have right turn on red — they just sit there at the line, not even attempting to creep forward so they can see if it is safe to turn.

And while I usually notice a lot of bad motor vehicle driving, the worst thing I saw recently was a pair of people on bicycles coming right at me immediately after I made a perfectly legal right turn on red.

To be fair...there is no requirement to turn right on red. AFAIK.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »