Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.7241032

Region buys lands in Breslau for future GO Station

(06-20-2024, 04:27 PM)neonjoe Wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.7241032

I guess the land by Woolwich St S was too expensive? That would be more convenient to walk to from Breslau. Though I guess they don't want those darn Cantabridgians driving up through Breslau to a park 'n' ride.
(06-20-2024, 06:45 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 04:27 PM)neonjoe Wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.7241032

I guess the land by Woolwich St S was too expensive? That would be more convenient to walk to from Breslau. Though I guess they don't want those darn Cantabridgians driving up through Breslau to a park 'n' ride.

Walk? What is this “walk” you speak of. The verb (and the only verb) for travelling to a large suburban GO park and ride is “drive”.
This Go station location is still 100% better than the original Greenhouse road location. I still think they should build the station between fountain and Woolwich on the north side of the tracks, but this is not a bad location for walking if they are smart about the build.  The station needs to be as close as possible to fountain street, it would be even better if the station could straddle fountain street, but that is probably too much to ask. They do need to make sure there is pedestrian pathways to the station from various subdivisions around Breslau. The Mixed-use housing needs to be built right beside the station along fountain street. There needs to be a bus drop-off right up to the station entrance.  Then the sea of parking can be located behind all the housing, even better would be to have Metrolinx build a parking garage so we don't have to use too much potential developable land for parking.
There's an entire Breslau plan that's going to probably double the housing and employment areas, and I think they're taking all that into account instead of just the existing townscape (because you absolutely know it's not like they're going to get this station built within the next 10 years). The Breslau Secondary Plan has a few options, but they aren't too wildly different from each other - here's one, for example. Their road plan shows that the major road leading to the new GO station isn't meant to be built until 2031+.

I imagine that the people who live in the original heart of Breslau are also not huge fans of the idea that tons of people will be pouring down Woolwich St, and would rather redirect them to Fountain. I believe the new highway 7 supposed to have an on/off ramp that lines up with Fountain/Ebycrest, so that would track, and the road plan shows that a new bridge crossing the Grand will link Ottawa St to Breslau as well (currently scheduled for 2041+, but maybe they'll bump up the priority if there's strong Breslau GO usage or they finally decide to build Phase 3 of the LRT down Ottawa).
There's only enough room for the two tracks under the Fountain bridge, no way could they fit station platforms or even a path I don't think. It's still good to hear it's moving closer to the village proper.
Metrolinx gets closer to 2-way, all-day GO service by expropriating land in Halton Hills

This seems to be the land that would be needed for a flyover at Silver Junction outside Georgetown. While not strictly required or recommended in the preliminary business case study, the flyover would allow faster travel times and more schedule resiliency.

The lower parking lot at the GO station is going to be closed for the rest of the week for resurfacing, and will reopen as a Pay-and-Display lot. https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Modules/...38d3da8172
(07-22-2024, 02:57 PM)jamincan Wrote: Metrolinx gets closer to 2-way, all-day GO service by expropriating land in Halton Hills

This seems to be the land that would be needed for a flyover at Silver Junction outside Georgetown. While not strictly required or recommended in the preliminary business case study, the flyover would allow faster travel times and more schedule resiliency.

Silver Junction is to the west of Georgetown.

This is to the east of Georgetown.
(07-22-2024, 02:57 PM)jamincan Wrote: Metrolinx gets closer to 2-way, all-day GO service by expropriating land in Halton Hills

Also, this is just the result of what the Ontario Land Tribunal calls a "hearing of necessity" where the expropriator must prove that it is needed. Anybody getting land expropriated from them may request a hearing of necessity.

It will for sure go through, but the landowners and the Province must still negotiate the sale price. How long that takes depends on how much stomach the landowners have for dragging it out, and how much patience the Province has before it puts its foot down and says "No more. Predefined market value for you.".
Out of curiosity, how is this current plan by Metrolinx in Halton Hills different than the the plans that were first proposed by Metrolinx (and the Liberal Ontario government) prior to 2018 which were canceled by the Conservative Ontario government shortly after they came to power in 2018?
The original plan for the 407 Freight bypass would have completely replaced the Toronto CP Corridor with a new freight bypass for both CP and CN. Which would have allowed both the Milton Line as well as the Kitchener line to have capacity for full GO Service.

This change just removes the conflict point in Georgetown at the silver junction.
(07-24-2024, 06:24 PM)Bytor Wrote:

Silver Junction is to the west of Georgetown.

This is to the east of Georgetown.

While true, this is still the land for the silver junction overpass project. The "silver junction overpass" really just means an overpass between silver junction, and the junction near Bramlea (which I don't know the name of). The overpass doesn't actually have to be at silver junction to fulfill its purpose of getting CN freight trains through without blocking all the intermediate tracks.

Stealing this from an Urban Toronto thread, the Initial Business Case for the Cambridge-Guelph GO link has been published.

https://pub-regionofwaterloo.escribemeet...entId=8846

Some interesting observations made on the original thread.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/gu...sed.38915/
(08-07-2024, 10:51 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: Stealing this from an Urban Toronto thread, the Initial Business Case for the Cambridge-Guelph GO link has been published.

https://pub-regionofwaterloo.escribemeet...entId=8846

Some interesting observations made on the original thread.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/gu...sed.38915/

Certainly I cannot be the only one who thinks it is insane that we are considering a train where we currently refuse to run a bus?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »