Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
417 King St W | 55 fl | Proposed
Information 
Neighbourhood meeting coming up July 11. What should the neighbours bring up?

The usual: "It's just too tall...this isn't Toronto!", "Won't someone please think of the shadows‽‽‽", "There will be so much traffic from this!"
(06-25-2023, 05:54 PM)ac3r Wrote: The usual: "It's just too tall...this isn't Toronto!", "Won't someone please think of the shadows‽‽‽", "There will be so much traffic from this!"

Ha. Did you notice who the councillor is?

Don't forget "it doesn’t fit the character of the neighbourhood!"

Seriously though: if it's like the Tek meeting, the building is already happening, and this is just to watch a PowerPoint from the architect.
(06-25-2023, 06:23 PM)CuilTard Wrote:
(06-25-2023, 05:54 PM)ac3r Wrote: The usual: "It's just too tall...this isn't Toronto!", "Won't someone please think of the shadows‽‽‽", "There will be so much traffic from this!"

Ha. Did you notice who the councillor is?

Don't forget "it doesn’t fit the character of the neighbourhood!"

Seriously though: if it's like the Tek meeting, the building is already happening, and this is just to watch a PowerPoint from the architect.

At least this one is far enough from the park that she can't imply anyone living at floor 7 or higher is a predator watching kids.
Here are questions that I would ask:
"How many affordable housing units are there?"
"How many multi-bedroom units are there?"
"How will reducing the setback affect future uses of Francis and King St (eg wider sidewalks, street furniture)"
(06-25-2023, 11:04 PM)cherrypark Wrote: At least this one is far enough from the park that she can't imply anyone living at floor 7 or higher is a predator watching kids.

I dunno. They could look down and watch kids walking by on the street …
I actually find that logic hilarious. If there are pedophiles lurking behind curtains, staring at children on the street while touching themselves...wouldn't they prefer to be closer to street level rather than in the penthouse of a 55 floor skyscraper? I can't believe she brought that up and nobody challenged her on that. I would have demanded an explanation and a list of empirical evidence that this is a common occurrence that we should be fearful of.

Makes me want to attend the next council meeting for a tall project and ironically raise these concerns in an extremely exaggerated manner just to see if people realize I'm taking the piss.

(06-26-2023, 02:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: I actually find that logic hilarious. If there are pedophiles lurking behind curtains, staring at children on the street while touching themselves...wouldn't they prefer to be closer to street level rather than in the penthouse of a 55 floor skyscraper? I can't believe she brought that up and nobody challenged her on that. I would have demanded an explanation and a list of empirical evidence that this is a common occurrence that we should be fearful of.

Makes me want to attend the next council meeting for a tall project and ironically raise these concerns in an extremely exaggerated manner just to see if people realize I'm taking the piss.

I wonder if you could quote her verbatim but come across much more sinister, then reveal the surprise right at the end.

Ugh, imagine electing anti-social misanthropes to council.
local cambridge weirdo
(06-26-2023, 02:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: Makes me want to attend the next council meeting for a tall project and ironically raise these concerns in an extremely exaggerated manner just to see if people realize I'm taking the piss.

Might be hard to outdo her husband's NIMBY Shakespeare enough to make the irony apparent. How do you top calling high-rises fundamentally antisocial (sorry, Hong Kong) and demand council all resign in protest.
0.29 parking spaces per unit requested. I like it.
55-storey tower proposed for downtown Kitchener site
Mixed-use building would contain about 622 units at former Ziggy’s Cycle location
Is there a recording of the meeting Tuesday?
(07-13-2023, 02:44 PM)CP42 Wrote: Is there a recording of the meeting Tuesday?

I can't find anything. I can't even find the meeting on the calendar.

It was there - by the time I tried to join, the meeting was already over.
(07-13-2023, 05:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It was there - by the time I tried to join, the meeting was already over.

It usually takes several days for the recording to be posted. I don't know why there is nothing on the calendar for that date, though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »