Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
102 Fountain Street South (former Preston Springs Hotel) | 26, 24 & 22 fl | Proposed
(11-29-2023, 10:10 AM)cherrypark Wrote: … or Incan temple.

Come on, that would be awesome!

Cambridge residents weigh in on proposed plan for Preston Springs Hotel site: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/cambridge-r...-1.6684512

Spoilers: 😤

I love it! I'm all for density! It's just that...also...and...furthermore...in conclusion? No. Just think of the grandma's.
(12-13-2023, 09:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Cambridge residents weigh in on proposed plan for Preston Springs Hotel site: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/cambridge-r...-1.6684512

Spoilers: 😤

I love it! I'm all for density! It's just that...also...and...furthermore...in conclusion? No. Just think of the grandma's.

I'm surprised the argument of "I won't be able to sell homes behind there" was even written down, let alone published... it's super super dumb.  It's not even about the people that live there.  Also, sell the hundreds of new condos then.
Cambridge council did not like the proposal. Mayor of Cambridge is quoted to say LRT is not going to happen.

https://www.therecord.com/news/proposed-...f1950.html
Love the comments. I have to say, Cambridge is not making a good name for itself with developers. Perhaps that is their goal though.. Have at it !
Lol...does Cambridge like anything? I mean, aside from living in an absolute hell world of their own making.

The entire city is deprived and half the people live in despair and collective squalor but they...just...love it. They don't want anything to change and in fact they only seem to want to encourage it to get worse by shooting themselves in the foot at every single opportunity they have to do something to improve their lives and the lives of their families. They seem to look at the City of Kitchener and the City of Waterloo with its skyscrapers, amazing transit, wonderful jobs and opportunities, world class schools, arts + culture and seemingly limitless desire to evolve to create the best of all possible worlds and Cambridge is just like, yeah no thanks I really wish we still had that abandoned hotel about to collapse in on itself as our pride and joy.

I don't know why anyone even tries and I wish they were not even part of the Region of Waterloo because we sink so much damn money into this place for no real reason. They're a real good example of why amalgamation would be a very good thing.
The Region of Waterloo if we let Kitchener run all the cities and townships:

[Image: gn9sZ9k.png]

(12-19-2023, 01:33 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Cambridge council did not like the proposal. Mayor of Cambridge is quoted to say LRT is not going to happen.

They complain that the project will bring too much traffic, while at the same time complaining that it doesn't have enough parking spaces.
Nothing like validating all the worst opinions of our angriest councillors in 1 forum post!

The municipal system rewards the shittiest people with the most time and that’s very apparent in how Cambridge council works - but not unique to here.

It definitely makes it harder to get anything positive done when your neighbours routinely say you’re a worthless shithole, that’s for sure.
local cambridge weirdo
(12-19-2023, 01:33 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Cambridge council did not like the proposal. Mayor of Cambridge is quoted to say LRT is not going to happen.

I'm quietly wondering if ION Stage 2 will get mothballed over Cambridge political opposition. Fine by me if they don't want good things! Maybe then the Stage 3 concepts can be investigated. Would be neat to have an east-west Kitchener corridor and/or a university area loop. Or double, triple bus frequencies to near-TTC levels, or....
(12-19-2023, 03:30 PM)bravado Wrote: Nothing like validating all the worst opinions of our angriest councillors in 1 forum post!

The municipal system rewards the shittiest people with the most time and that’s very apparent in how Cambridge council works - but not unique to here.

It definitely makes it harder to get anything positive done when your neighbours routinely say you’re a worthless shithole, that’s for sure.

There certainly is a lot of negative polarisation. It would be beneficial for the region to be able to uniformly move in a positive direction...
How many new units does Cambridge need to commit to have built to meet its provincial obligations?
(12-19-2023, 05:37 PM)neonjoe Wrote: How many new units does Cambridge need to commit to have built to meet its provincial obligations?

The tracker from the province was last updated Nov 23, but Cambridge is ever-so-slightly further along than Kitchener and Waterloo in Doug's arbitrary goals: https://www.ontario.ca/page/tracking-hou...y-progress

Cambridge
Goal: 19,000
2023 Progress: 54%

Kitchener
Goal: 35,000
2023: 46%

Waterloo
Goal: 16,000
2023: 47%

Mediocrity for everyone!
local cambridge weirdo

At the risk of taking this thread on a left turn, what counts a housing start in order to be added to the tracker? In Waterloo's case, given the amount of construction underway, I can't believe that only 547 units were started in 2023. Ditto Kitchener at 1176 and Cambridge at 781. Also, if the municipalities can't compel a developer to build after their a project has been approved with an eye towards that goal, then what happens?
(12-19-2023, 04:07 PM)coriander Wrote:

I'm quietly wondering if ION Stage 2 will get mothballed over Cambridge political opposition. Fine by me if they don't want good things! Maybe then the Stage 3 concepts can be investigated. Would be neat to have an east-west Kitchener corridor and/or a university area loop. Or double, triple bus frequencies to near-TTC levels, or....

Honestly, after hearing that statement, I think they need to make it clear that the next cambridge municipal election is a de facto referendum on LRT. If they vote for an Anti-LRT council then the Region should shift focus to an East-west line either in Kitchener or Waterloo University area.  We shouldn't be trying to shove the project down the throats of the Cambridge residents. after phase 1 success I doubt you would get much push back from Waterloo or kitchener on a second line.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »