Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
102 Fountain Street South (former Preston Springs Hotel) | 26, 24 & 22 fl | Proposed
Updated November 2023.

As detailed in this post by by bravdo, the new project by Haaston Holdings Inc has 3 towers. The architecture is done by both Architecture Unfolded and Urban Agency, the latter of which is a fairly skilled team of designers.

The project is to have 3 towers of 26, 24 and 22 floors each containing a total of 753 residential units ranging from studio units to 2 bedroom units. Commercial space within the podium is proposed. Private-public amenity space is also proposed outdoors. Please click on the linked post above in which bravado shares more details of the project. Alternatively, you can view all submitted documents here
- just click the first submission titled OR09/23 at the top of the list.

[Image: dp6ml83.png]

[Image: ht3BJEc.png]

[Image: WIfm1cP.png]

City waives development charges for Preston Springs project and others as incentive program ends

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...am-5285539
I've seen plans for this and it's nothing special but the site is interesting and it's housing so that's good news!
Yeah, the project itself isn't that interesting from what I've seen...just some mid rise buildings. The architecture is pretty bleh, although that's very preliminary. In a way it feels like a shame because this was a very prestigious location for the longest time :'(. But at least this is being turned into something. I think considering what they have to work with - financially and physically - it's okay. Better than letting it stay an empty plot of land for another decade.

When the developer or City of Cambridge releases the info on this, I guess we'll just have to see what the wider public thinks. Given that it's not planned to be a pair of very high towers, hopefully they won't go full NIMBY and stall it, allowing it to finally add something new and useful to this area of the region.
(04-21-2022, 05:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah, the project itself isn't that interesting from what I've seen...just some mid rise buildings. The architecture is pretty bleh, although that's very preliminary. In a way it feels like a shame because this was a very prestigious location for the longest time :'(. But at least this is being turned into something. I think considering what they have to work with - financially and physically - it's okay. Better than letting it stay an empty plot of land for another decade.

When the developer or City of Cambridge releases the info on this, I guess we'll just have to see what the wider public thinks. Given that it's not planned to be a pair of very high towers, hopefully they won't go full NIMBY and stall it, allowing it to finally add something new and useful to this area of the region.

I can at least say that online comments with the Record and Cambridge Times are not too pleased about it. If it doesn't have parking, then surely it can't be housing!
(04-21-2022, 06:21 PM)bravado Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 05:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah, the project itself isn't that interesting from what I've seen...just some mid rise buildings. The architecture is pretty bleh, although that's very preliminary. In a way it feels like a shame because this was a very prestigious location for the longest time :'(. But at least this is being turned into something. I think considering what they have to work with - financially and physically - it's okay. Better than letting it stay an empty plot of land for another decade.

I can at least say that online comments with the Record and Cambridge Times are not too pleased about it. If it doesn't have parking, then surely it can't be housing!

If it does have parking, won't someone think of the traffic!
And how many affordable housing units are being included in this project for the $300,000 in waived charges? At the going rate, Cambridge City Council has saved the developer the price of maybe one full price unit (or perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 by the time this is built).

I have to assume this isn't deserving of a new thread, but there is a new proposal on the Cambridge city site and it's a very big one:

Quote:The City has received Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment applications for 102 Fountain Street South and 199 Abraham Street.

The Official Plan and Zoning by-law amendments will facilitate the development of the subject lands to permit three residential towers, ranging in height from 22, 24 and 26 storeys, with 753 dwelling units, commercial uses at grade and a public outdoor amenity space.

Quote:The Site is proposed to be developed as a high-density mixed-use residential project with three (3) towers atop a five-storey podium parking structure. The Proposed Development will be orientated towards Fountain Street, framing the street in an urban form, and will provide vehicular access directly through the signalized intersection at King/Fountain (see Figure 5). A right-in only access is proposed at the north end of the Site and a right-out only access is proposed at the south end of the Site. The Abraham Street frontage provides for an additional vehicular access point to the Proposed Development, along with a community trail connection. This community trail will provide connection to an open space/heritage park to the rear of the buildings and provide connectivity to a public piazza – Preston Square at grade with Fountain Street.

As illustrated on the conceptual site plan, the Proposed Development includes a large on-site open space and amenity area at the rear of the future building. This portion of the Site is located adjacent to the rear lot lines of the Abraham Street residences, providing enhanced separation, screening and landscape buffering between the uses. A Preliminary Vegetation Management Plan and Landscape Design Concept has been prepared that confirms the trees on Site as well as the conceptual landscape design of this space. This inventory will be used to inform the future Site Plan application process.

Approximately, 25% of the proposed building footprint will be below grade in the podium providing structured parking for the proposed mixed uses. This area is illustrated on the conceptual Site Plan as a dotted line through the Site (see Figure 5)

Quote:Overall, the Proposed Development includes:
• 753 residential apartment units, including a mix of bachelor, studio, one-bedroom, one-bedroom plus den and two-bedroom units;
• 420 square metres of commercial retail space; • Building heights of 26-storeys (89.2 metres), 24- storeys (82.7 metres) and 22- storeys (76.4 metres)
• Indoor and outdoor amenity spaces for both the residents and the public;
• Landscaped and outdoor amenity area including community trail from Abraham to Fountain and heritage gardens;
• 682 parking spaces to be shared between the residential and commercial uses

[Image: ik9PrUi.png]
[size=1][Image: 1Isav7U.png][/size]
[size=1][size=1][Image: yuiEjvv.png][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: wPElVFs.png][/size][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: 8DzCezL.png][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: yJnU05b.png][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
local cambridge weirdo
This would be a huge improvement to the area!!!
It’s not terrible. The street level looks pretty nice. If they use good materials I could see this being a hit.
My cynical side thinks that in the current financing climate there’s no way they get the money to do something so ambitious - but also I do want some ambition for once…

“But, traffic!”
“The hole left by the Preston springs is Heritage!”
local cambridge weirdo
Wow that is a gorgeous! This proposal is far too nice to ever be built in the region. Would love to see it, but I know the neighbourhood will oppose it, delay it and it will enviably be cancelled. Or even more likely is it is approved, but never built, since we are heading for a decent recession. Then in 10 years a more modest beige stucco with black and white precast concrete panels will be built.
(11-21-2023, 12:10 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Wow that is a gorgeous! This proposal is far too nice to ever be built in the region. Would love to see it, but I know the neighbourhood will oppose it, delay it and it will enviably be cancelled. Or even more likely is it is approved, but never built, since we are heading for a decent recession.  Then in 10 years a more modest beige stucco with black and white precast concrete panels will be built.

As soon as i saw it i was so happy to see something this amazing even be proposed in our region. Sadly reality hit once i read your post, as the likelyness of this actually being built is small. I am going to keep my fingers crossed, but it will probably remain a ugly vacant eyesore for decades to come.

(11-21-2023, 12:10 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Wow that is a gorgeous! This proposal is far too nice to ever be built in the region. Would love to see it, but I know the neighbourhood will oppose it, delay it and it will enviably be cancelled. Or even more likely is it is approved, but never built, since we are heading for a decent recession.  Then in 10 years a more modest beige stucco with black and white precast concrete panels will be built.

It is, what it is. Neighbours won't want this because it will block their view of the 401 a certain times of the day.
I wonder about the 25% below grade part, since the original building was built to take advantage of the mineral springs that flow there. There must be a lot of water in that site.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »