Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
83-87 Weber St E | 32 fl | Proposed
(07-27-2023, 06:26 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 09:15 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Looking at the building plans this is another Vive project

Ah so that's why the building is "designed" the way it is. It's not a real project, just a chance for Vive to resell the property when council approves the zone changes.

Sometimes I wish that zoning changes were directly tied to development proposals such that, if the land is sold before the project is built, the original zoning is reinstated.

(07-27-2023, 01:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sometimes I wish that zoning changes were directly tied to development proposals such that, if the land is sold before the project is built, the original zoning is reinstated.

The main benefit of this is that once it's rezoned, it should streamline the process for a new developer to buy up the property, hire some architects and then get a building constructed ASAP. But it is very annoying when a group like Vive Development teases a proposal to the public, wastes the time of a planning company, architectural firm, city planners and council usually with zero intent to actually build what they proposed. An example is their 50 Borden project. If council does approve that zone amendment and Vive goes on to sell it, at least someone else can get to work quicker and propose something significant without having to deal with a torrent of NIMBY nonsense...but I have about a 0.1% expectation that Vive actually does build a pair 51 and 57 floor skyscrapers there. That proposal seems like a guaranteed flip.
(07-27-2023, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 01:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sometimes I wish that zoning changes were directly tied to development proposals such that, if the land is sold before the project is built, the original zoning is reinstated.

The main benefit of this is that once it's rezoned, it should streamline the process for a new developer to buy up the property, hire some architects and then get a building constructed ASAP. But it is very annoying when a group like Vive Development teases a proposal to the public, wastes the time of a planning company, architectural firm, city planners and council usually with zero intent to actually build what they proposed. An example is their 50 Borden project. If council does approve that zone amendment and Vive goes on to sell it, at least someone else can get to work quicker and propose something significant without having to deal with a torrent of NIMBY nonsense...but I have about a 0.1% expectation that Vive actually does build a pair 51 and 57 floor skyscrapers there. That proposal seems like a guaranteed flip.

Which does little other than guarantee higher home prices/rents.
Ya. It just turns vive I go a middle man.
Part of the problem is the complexity of dealing with zoning. You end up with organizations who essentially are experts in navigating the rezoning process, rather than in actually building housing or other types of development.
(07-28-2023, 06:20 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Part of the problem is the complexity of dealing with zoning. You end up with organizations who essentially are experts in navigating the rezoning process, rather than in actually building housing or other types of development.

In other words, speculators.
(07-29-2023, 09:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 06:20 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Part of the problem is the complexity of dealing with zoning. You end up with organizations who essentially are experts in navigating the rezoning process, rather than in actually building housing or other types of development.

In other words, speculators.

No, I would not call that speculation. In this case, the company knows they can increase the value of the land by improving the zoning, so arguably they are adding some value.

A speculator, on the other hand, will buy undervalued property in the hopes that it can later be resold (as is) for much more.

(07-29-2023, 11:39 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-29-2023, 09:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In other words, speculators.

No, I would not call that speculation. In this case, the company knows they can increase the value of the land by improving the zoning, so arguably they are adding some value.

A speculator, on the other hand, will buy undervalued property in the hopes that it can later be resold (as is) for much more.

Right, it’s not speculation as such.

It’s a disconnect between the two totally separate skills of navigating zoning and actually building stuff.

This occurs in government procurement as well, I understand (maybe more in the US than here?) where there are companies that are expert in being picked for a government contract, and then they contract out to the companies that actually know how to do the work. If the procurement process were re-designed to be useable by the actual working companies, all the profit from the middlemen could be redistributed between the government and the actual productive companies.

I have also heard that sometimes “expert in being picked for a government contract” sometimes includes being owned, or rather, being recorded as being owned, by a woman or minority.
(07-29-2023, 06:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I have also heard that sometimes “expert in being picked for a government contract” sometimes includes being owned, or rather, being recorded as being owned, by a woman or minority.

Yes, in US procurement this does happen. Being owned by a veteran is another such category.
That bike parking situation is confusing, at best. Feels like they just needed a way to fill the middle of the podium, and decided to shove bike parking in there. Definitely needs a direct pathway from the far side of the hallway to the elevators without taking that whole hike around the outside of the bike rooms. Not really sure what I would suggest as a solution re: accessible bike parking, but at a MINIMUM, having a dedicated elevator that services only the bike storage rooms and opens directly into them would be a good start. An elevator long/wide enough to fit a bike and trailer combo would be crucial.

The turning radiuses into the driveways are way too wide, as well. That's the sort of radius you see moving from one 60km to another, not from a road over a sidewalk and into a parking garage.
(07-26-2023, 09:22 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 04:00 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Yeah some odd choices on the street and parking. Also amused by the singular render that shows and integrated fire hall. Wonder what stage of the process that appeared and then disappeared.

I saw that.  Can you imagine living above an active fire station.  That's a hard pass for me.

I would assume leaving the station (with controlled intersections nearby) sirens aren't needed immediately, so it would be no different than having any other truck downstairs on the roadway.

I could imagine the insurance savings when they ask how far from the nearest hydrant! LOL

Coke
(07-30-2023, 03:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-29-2023, 06:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I have also heard that sometimes “expert in being picked for a government contract” sometimes includes being owned, or rather, being recorded as being owned, by a woman or minority.

Yes, in US procurement this does happen. Being owned by a veteran is another such category.

I used to work for a local Canadian company that had an American branch. The Canadian company was founded and owned by a man, but the American branch was 'founded' by the female VP who had a 'permanent' address in Texas so that they could apply for government contracts. The American branch was quite small, so a good portion of the work was 'exported' back to the Canadian branch and was done by folks living in KW. Total loophole that definitely did not work as intended.
This was approved at the committee of adjustment meeting tonight. Like the last Vive property there may be a increase in height yet again, Councillor Davey like normal asked if there would could be a taller building of sorts in exchange for affordable units and more GHG emissions, Litt was saying that it could look like 32 floors from 25, and 430 or so units up from 336 and 25 of the units would be made affordable. However this isn't yet an offical application it is just what Litt was saying he would consider.

There was one primary delegate at the meeting who was complaining about parking and traffic on Weber and kept saying that the building was too large for the area but was positive it was required in the downtown core so it seemed like standard NIMBYism.

A few councillors are starting to get annoyed with Davey constantly asking for more density (The Metz, 332 Charles, 130-142 Victoria St S, and now this one) so it seems that there's going to be some fairly tense conversations around the horseshoe until Growing Together/Inclusionary Zoning is passed which will hopefully get rid of half of the ZBA/OPA issues. Just based on the conversations happening at the horseshoe certain members of staff are starting to get annoyed with Davey to some degree.

Then Chapman was complaining about a lack of affordable housing in the development, she said we aren't in a housing emergency it is an affordable housing emergency. It's as if she doesn't understand basic supply and demand. If there is just a lack of units in general of course there isn't going to be any affordability because demand is so high, other councillors are recognizing this (Singh, Johnston, Davey, Schnider). I'm convinced Chapman just doesn't understand basic economics.

(10-02-2023, 07:47 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: This was approved at the committee of adjustment meeting tonight. Like the last Vive property there may be a increase in height yet again, Councillor Davey like normal asked if there would could be a taller building of sorts in exchange for affordable units and more GHG emissions, Litt was saying that it could look like 32 floors from 25, and 430 or so units up from 336 and 25 of the units would be made affordable. However this isn't yet an offical application it is just what Litt was saying he would consider.

There was one primary delegate at the meeting who was complaining about parking and traffic on Weber and kept saying that the building was too large for the area but was positive it was required in the downtown core so it seemed like standard NIMBYism.

A few councillors are starting to get annoyed with Davey constantly asking for more density (The Metz, 332 Charles, 130-142 Victoria St S, and now this one) so it seems that there's going to be some fairly tense conversations around the horseshoe until Growing Together/Inclusionary Zoning is passed which will hopefully get rid of half of the ZBA/OPA issues. Just based on the conversations happening at the horseshoe certain members of staff are starting to get annoyed with Davey to some degree.

Then Chapman was complaining about a lack of affordable housing in the development, she said we aren't in a housing emergency it is an affordable housing emergency. It's as if she doesn't understand basic supply and demand. If there is just a lack of units in general of course there isn't going to be any affordability because demand is so high, other councillors are recognizing this (Singh, Johnston, Davey, Schnider). I'm convinced Chapman just doesn't understand basic economics.

Can we please make sure she's NOT voted in as the kitchener center MP? pleaseeeeeeee. Election is soon!
(10-02-2023, 08:56 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Can we please make sure she's NOT voted in as the kitchener center MP? pleaseeeeeeee. Election is soon!

Well, that would at least get her out of City business and off into an irrelevant job.
(10-02-2023, 08:56 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Can we please make sure she's NOT voted in as the kitchener center MP? pleaseeeeeeee. Election is soon!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »