Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4396 King Street East | 30+18+8fl | Proposed
I chuckled when I saw the report - thought of WRC immediately! Smile

(04-01-2022, 12:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: Why do they even bother publishing these stories? It's the same crap every single time. It's too tall, there will be too much traffic, it'll create shadows blah blah blah. Go move to a small town if it bothers you so much. Waterloo Region has like 625'000 people or more at this point.

All they want is to keep paying small town taxes while receiving big city amenities, is that too much to ask for?  Rolleyes

This 'neighbourhood' is defined by cars and shopping plazas, if this is something we want to actually defend as a "small town" then I might be mentally done for 2022...
Gazzola: "Don't worry, of course I'll say no, didn't you know I ALWAYS vote NO"
FYI...Three more towers planned for King Street in Kitchener’s Sportsworld area.
The land at 4220 King St. E. and 25 Sportsworld Crossing Rd. is zoned as commercial.
The area is just over two hectares and on the property, part of which is empty, is the former Mandarin restaurant and a furniture store.
(04-08-2022, 08:05 PM)LesPio Wrote: FYI...Three more towers planned for King Street in Kitchener’s Sportsworld area.
The land at 4220 King St. E. and 25 Sportsworld Crossing Rd. is zoned as commercial.
The area is just over two hectares and on the property, part of which is empty, is the former Mandarin restaurant and a furniture store.
This project has a thread here:
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1650
We'll likely see a lot of stuff going up here once the LRT gets under way since there is a station planned for this area, not to mention Highway 8 and Highway 401. There is a lot of usable land to develop and the transportation links will make this a desirable area for condo developers.
(04-09-2022, 10:57 AM)ac3r Wrote: We'll likely see a lot of stuff going up here once the LRT gets under way since there is a station planned for this area, not to mention Highway 8 and Highway 401. There is a lot of usable land to develop and the transportation links will make this a desirable area for condo developers.

... but is it going to have small-scale retail and be in any way walkable, not just dense? We've talked about Belmont Village and how it's not actually special. But I'd rather live somewhere like Belmont than somewhere with a bunch of towers and 0 amenities.

Likely not, or at least it won't be as walkable as it could be. I think a lot of the development we'll be seeing near Sportsworld Station, Preston Station and Northfield Station will mimic what exists in certain Toronto neighbourhoods like Humber Bay or CityPlace in Toronto. That is, there will be density and new retail, but due to the fact it's quite far from the city centre and centred around highways they'll still remain car centric.

In addition to the proposals around Sportsworld, we've got huge developments already like the SmartCentres one near Preston Station (which has already been approved) and the large one at the old Kraus Factory by Northfield Station, both of which are very dense but will no doubt remain fairly car centric due to the distance from the urban cores, even with the LRT line and as a result, there will likely not be that much investment in creating pedestrian areas. There will be some small-scale retail for sure, but I suspect most people will continue to drive places.
(04-09-2022, 12:26 PM)plam Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 10:57 AM)ac3r Wrote: We'll likely see a lot of stuff going up here once the LRT gets under way since there is a station planned for this area, not to mention Highway 8 and Highway 401. There is a lot of usable land to develop and the transportation links will make this a desirable area for condo developers.

... but is it going to have small-scale retail and be in any way walkable, not just dense? We've talked about Belmont Village and how it's not actually special. But I'd rather live somewhere like Belmont than somewhere with a bunch of towers and 0 amenities.

I think the area has quite a lot of amenities (except a real grocery store), but they are all mostly car-based right now and could really use some more foot traffic.
(04-09-2022, 01:04 PM)bravado Wrote: I think the area has quite a lot of amenities (except a real grocery store)

It has a Dutchies, which fits most of the requirements for 'real'.
(04-09-2022, 04:30 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 01:04 PM)bravado Wrote: I think the area has quite a lot of amenities (except a real grocery store)

It has a Dutchies, which fits most of the requirements for 'real'.

Didn't know that, way out of date info over here...
For comparison, it is useful to look at the type of commercial tenants that are in the ground floors of other residential buildings elsewhere in the Region. Around Northdale, it has generally been restaurants and personal services (eg lots of hair places) but not much else. I haven't seen any 'convenience' style stores that might carry pantry basics (eg milk).
(04-10-2022, 02:01 PM)nms Wrote: For comparison, it is useful to look at the type of commercial tenants that are in the ground floors of other residential buildings elsewhere in the Region.  Around Northdale, it has generally been restaurants and personal services (eg lots of hair places) but not much else.  I haven't seen any 'convenience' style stores that might carry pantry basics (eg milk).

This is generally the case in northern Europe as well: personal services, bars, restaurants etc dominate the retail spaces in residential buildings.

In Japan, of course, every second mixed-use building will have a convenience store. Smile

This one is headed to council on March 6th. Nimbys are coming out firing on this one lol, starting from page 200.

https://pub-kitchener.escribemeetings.co...entId=8874
(03-03-2023, 12:17 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: This one is headed to council on March 6th. Nimbys are coming out firing on this one lol, starting from page 200.

https://pub-kitchener.escribemeetings.co...entId=8874

Love how 80% of the emails are a copy and paste of the same message.

Also page 201… at least most people don’t openly flaunt that their NIMBYism is a result of some underlying racism, but this one didn’t hold back
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »