Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4396 King Street East | 30+18+8fl | Proposed
Toronto based developer Taylor Construction Incorporated is proposing a project at 4396 King Street East (currently a stripmall at the corner of King Street East and Sportsworld Drive). The site plan is being done by GSP Group and the architecture firm involved is ABA Architects.

[Image: r1HQRZz.png]

The proposal includes 3 buildings - at 30, 18 and 8 floors - with a total of 616 residential units and ground floor retail. It is proposed to be built in 2 phases: starting with the 8 floor building, then continuing on with the 30 and 18 floor buildings on top of a 5 floor podium. The proposal has been submitted due to its vicinity to the future Sportsworld Station. Parking will include a mix of a small surface level lot and a mixture of underground and aboveground parking (contained within an integrated parking garage).

[Image: raQvmze.png]

[Image: SKcpQb6.png]

Preliminary documents on the project can be found here.

Interesting. Do that many people want to live in a Costco parking lot?

ETA: Hopefully the first pebble to create a ripple effect.
(09-20-2021, 01:36 PM)Chris Wrote: Interesting. Do that many people want to live in a Costco parking lot?

ETA: Hopefully the first pebble to create a ripple effect.

The Costco won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but as part of the City of Kitchener's PARTS plan, they are aiming to densify the areas around all of the light rail stations in the city (with Waterloo and Cambridge doing the same). So in time, all of the areas near the LRT stations should see rapid development start to take place. For example, SmartCentres has an MZO to develop what is the largest development project in Waterloo Region thus far: conceptually, they are planning to build 43 new buildings there. The location is very similar in that it's a big box parking lot wasteland. With time, the areas around most of the stations will be completely transformed. Similarly, the 525 & 565 Conestogo Road West development in Waterloo has something like two dozen new buildings proposed and it's next to a bunch of parking lots.
Wow this would be a major change for this area. I would hope that king street along this stretch would see some improvements before this is built as the road is incredibly worn down as it is but this would be great for the area, which currently lacks really any amount of people and is just urban big box wasteland. 

Still waiting for the adjacent corner to be redeveloped. Nothing has been built there since the mini golf was torn out.
(09-22-2021, 06:01 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Wow this would be a major change for this area. I would hope that king street along this stretch would see some improvements before this is built as the road is incredibly worn down as it is but this would be great for the area, which currently lacks really any amount of people and is just urban big box wasteland. 

Still waiting for the adjacent corner to be redeveloped. Nothing has been built there since the mini golf was torn out.
There is active construction on that portion of King happening right now, including provisions for a right of way for LRT in the median.
(09-22-2021, 07:43 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 06:01 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Wow this would be a major change for this area. I would hope that king street along this stretch would see some improvements before this is built as the road is incredibly worn down as it is but this would be great for the area, which currently lacks really any amount of people and is just urban big box wasteland. 

There is active construction on that portion of King happening right now, including provisions for a right of way for LRT in the median.
I live in the deer ridge area so I'm well aware of the construction, I just didnt know if it had anything to do with actually road improvements since it's just been tearing up the sidewalk so far which could be done for a multitude of reasons which have nothing to do with the road. Good to know they're getting started though. 

Also does this mean what I think it means. The LRT will actually have priority on this section of the line instead of getting stuck at every stoplight!?
(09-24-2021, 10:08 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Also does this mean what I think it means. The LRT will actually have priority on this section of the line instead of getting stuck at every stoplight!?

Oh that's so cute. Thinking Regional planners will make intelligent choices. Oh, to be young and foolish again.... Wink

Coke

(09-24-2021, 10:17 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 10:08 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: Also does this mean what I think it means. The LRT will actually have priority on this section of the line instead of getting stuck at every stoplight!?

Oh that's so cute.  Thinking Regional planners will make intelligent choices.  Oh, to be young and foolish again.... Wink

Coke
Should one not expect some level of competence? Oh... sorry what's that? No I shouldn't  ever expect competence... when have I ever seen competence before?

Hmm I suppose maybe you're right :laughing emoji:
Large-scale development with a mid-rise apartment building and two towers planned for King Street and Sportsworld Drive in Kitchener

https://outline.com/hR6uC4
(09-20-2021, 01:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: The proposal has been submitted due to its vicinity to the future Sportsworld Station.

Bus routes come and go, but tracks are forever. I hope Cambridge is paying attention and will accept the business case.
Neighbourhood Meeting - Proposed Development (4396 King Street East & 25 Sportsworld Drive)
Thursday, March 31, 2022 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

The City of Kitchener has received applications for Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments proposing a mixed-use development having a maximum building height of 99 metres (30 storeys), a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) of 6.2, providing 616 dwelling units and 1,378 square metres of commercial floor area, having a reduced parking rate of 0.85 space per dwelling unit (providing 580 parking spaces) and providing 300+ secure bicycle parking spaces.

This meeting is your opportunity to:

Learn more about the proposed application and how the process works
Let City staff know your thoughts on the proposal
Ask questions of City staff and the applicant
For more information, please visit kitchener.ca/planningapplications.

To connect to the virtual meeting, go to www.zoom.us/join and enter meeting ID# 816 1560 6099.  To participate by telephone, please dial 1.647.558.0588 and enter meeting ID# 816 1560 6099 when prompted.
Two towers at King Street and Sportsworld Drive in Kitchener will bring added traffic that the corner can’t handle, residents tell a city meeting

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...eting.html
Here are my fav quotes

“All of a sudden I feel like I will be in the middle of downtown. There will be highrises all around us,” he said.

Coun. John Gazzola, who represents the ward, encouraged residents to speak out and “make your voices known.”

“Council can say yes or no. The buck stops with council,” he said. In other words, I hear you, I will say no but I cant get the others to say no....

(04-01-2022, 11:19 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: “All of a sudden I feel like I will be in the middle of downtown. There will be highrises all around us,” he said.

It’s funny because nobody actually lives in the area around here… they likely live in Deer Ridge or other suburbs where they will hardly be able to see this.
Why do they even bother publishing these stories? It's the same crap every single time. It's too tall, there will be too much traffic, it'll create shadows blah blah blah. Go move to a small town if it bothers you so much. Waterloo Region has like 625'000 people or more at this point.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »