Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
210 Heritage Dr, Kitchener | Stacked townhomes, 26 units
(06-15-2021, 09:42 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: I actually had a conversation with my uncle the other day and he made a pretty valid point, about how there are large million dollar homes being built nearby just off of lackner in a brand new subdivision, where they could be building with much more density, and are choosing to sandwich a ton of homes on to a one acre lot in an older subdivision here.

As I said before. I dont think the density here is the issue, but the way it's being proposed in a mature neighborhood like this isnt that great.

Isn't that quintessential NIMBY, though? "Build it somewhere else, just not where I can see it"?

Mature neighbourhoods are exactly where we should be building these sort of things, in order to increase the density of those neighbourhoods. Otherwise we just perpetuate the "sprawl or shoeboxes in the sky" trap we are currently in by not building any missing middle housing.

Instead of Kitchener current exclusionary zoning regime or the not-better-at-all CRoZBy scheme, we need to make the lowest, least dense tier of residential zone allow triplex, fourplexes, townhomes, three-storey walk-ups, stacked townhomes, and low-rise apartments in addition to single family homes.

"Mature neighbourhood" just seems like a euphemism for "neighbourhood character", which was already fraught with problems if you know the historical context.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - by Bytor - 06-16-2021, 09:47 AM