Waterloo Region Connected
210 Heritage Dr, Kitchener | Stacked townhomes, 26 units - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 210 Heritage Dr, Kitchener | Stacked townhomes, 26 units (/showthread.php?tid=1581)

Pages: 1 2

210 Heritage Dr, Kitchener | Stacked townhomes, 26 units - Bytor - 06-13-2021

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/06/11/44-trees-to-be-removed-in-26-unit-stacked-townhouse-development-in-the-stanley-park-neighbourhood-in-kitchener.html

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Bjays93 - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 10:52 AM)Bytor Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/06/11/44-trees-to-be-removed-in-26-unit-stacked-townhouse-development-in-the-stanley-park-neighbourhood-in-kitchener.html
Is there a non paywalled version?

Edit: managed to read it. This site has undergone significant redesign since it was originally proposed which is good. The massive surface parking lot here doesnt feel right tho

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - jeffster - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 10:52 AM)Bytor Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/06/11/44-trees-to-be-removed-in-26-unit-stacked-townhouse-development-in-the-stanley-park-neighbourhood-in-kitchener.html

https://outline.com/XPrATy

For anyone that wants to read beyond the paywall.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - ac3r - 06-13-2021

Please just post Outline links here people. It's pointless to post direct The Record links since few of us consider it worth paying for and this shouldn't be a forum to just help them generate subscriptions. Yeah you can read it with a library subscription but that's extras work for such worthless journalism.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Bjays93 - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 01:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: Please just post Outline links here people. It's pointless to post direct The Record links since few of us consider it worth paying for and this shouldn't be a forum to just help them generate subscriptions. Yeah you can read it with a library subscription but that's extras work for such worthless journalism.
The record paywall is quite possibly the dumbest paywall of any single paper

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - tomh009 - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 01:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: Please just post Outline links here people. It's pointless to post direct The Record links since few of us consider it worth paying for and this shouldn't be a forum to just help them generate subscriptions. Yeah you can read it with a library subscription but that's extras work for such worthless journalism.

If it's worth reading, it's not worthless, is it?

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - jeffster - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

If it's worth reading, it's not worthless, is it?

I think they meant that most of the trash on The Record isn't worth reading. There are some articles that you may want to read, but it's not worth the cost of a sub.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Acitta - 06-13-2021

Just use the links web browser and erase the cookies file afterwards.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - ac3r - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:44 PM)Acitta Wrote: Just use the links web browser and erase the cookies file afterwards.

Links! Lol that's a very neckbeard approach, but yeah it works. Outline is the easiest though.

After their recent announcement of their local office closure, it's now even less worth paying for. Already, most of their work is just reiterated press releases. But since they said they'd close local offices and only employ a few on the streets journalists (whom I am sure will suck) and do the rest of the reporting out of the GTA, there's even less incentive to give them money. Truly boots on the ground publications like Community Edition deserve our support much more than these Torstar pawns.

When I was a kid I used to love to read it, wanted to be a journalist, regularly had letters to the editor regarding urbanism published but you couldn't even pay me to read their drivel in 2021. Local newspapers destroyed themselves even though they didn't need to.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Bytor - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:44 PM)Acitta Wrote: Just use the links web browser and erase the cookies file afterwards.

I believe that preventing cookies & javascript for threcord.com is also effective. Once and done per domain.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Joedelay Highhoe - 06-14-2021

I grew up around here and remember this house well. They were those people to give away full-sized chocolate bars for halloween. It must have been paradise for the homeowners for the past 40 years, and for their neighbors who benefited from the green space. Not surprised the property was bought by a developer though.

Side note/edit - this is not an "urban" development by any stretch of the imagination.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Bjays93 - 06-14-2021

(06-14-2021, 10:09 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I grew up around here and remember this house well. They were those people to give away full-sized chocolate bars for halloween. It must have been paradise for the homeowners for the past 40 years, and for their neighbors who benefited from the green space. Not surprised the property was bought by a developer though.

Side note/edit - this is not an "urban" development by any stretch of the imagination.
Yup it is very much suburban. 

On the note of the green space, personally I would've preferred to see an extension of Georgian park as opposed to knocking down a bunch of trees and putting in a huge surface parking lot.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - jeffster - 06-14-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:56 PM)ac3r Wrote:

Links! Lol that's a very neckbeard approach, but yeah it works. Outline is the easiest though.

After their recent announcement of their local office closure, it's now even less worth paying for. Already, most of their work is just reiterated press releases. But since they said they'd close local offices and only employ a few on the streets journalists (whom I am sure will suck) and do the rest of the reporting out of the GTA, there's even less incentive to give them money. Truly boots on the ground publications like Community Edition deserve our support much more than these Torstar pawns.

When I was a kid I used to love to read it, wanted to be a journalist, regularly had letters to the editor regarding urbanism published but you couldn't even pay me to read their drivel in 2021. Local newspapers destroyed themselves even though they didn't need to.

100%. Back when it was the Kitchener-Waterloo Record the paper meant something. And it was a large paper in the late part of the week (over 100 pages on Fridays). They had that huge office and printery on Fairway Road. I remember taking a tour of it when we were kids, it was so impressive.

IIRC, they may have had two editions, the morning and afternoon print. I believe the afternoon print was delivered to the homes, and had more up-to-date information. The early edition, though, had news printed up to about 3am the morning off.

Eventually they only had one edition, and it was printed, IIRC, out of Brampton. It also meant that news had to be published much earlier, and it may have been around a 11PM cut-off. This was in order for the paper to be finalized, printed, bundled, and shipped to the Region, then distributed to the carrier, who had to delivery the paper by 5AM, if memory service me correct (and I think that time still applies right now). So rather than come home and read the paper, you wake up and read it. However, you really aren't getting up to date information. Especially sports related.

The Record has become a shell of its formal self, and mostly has no presence in the city, just a few bloggers.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - tomh009 - 06-14-2021

(06-14-2021, 10:51 AM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 10:09 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I grew up around here and remember this house well. They were those people to give away full-sized chocolate bars for halloween. It must have been paradise for the homeowners for the past 40 years, and for their neighbors who benefited from the green space. Not surprised the property was bought by a developer though.

Yup it is very much suburban. 

On the note of the green space, personally I would've preferred to see an extension of Georgian park as opposed to knocking down a bunch of trees and putting in a huge surface parking lot.

Doesn't meet the "suburban areas" definition we came up with last year when this forum was renamed. Smile

Isn't Georgian Park on the other side of the street? In any case, the city would need to be proactive in shopping for park extension properties, by the time a developer has purchased it and is proposing a project is really too late.

RE: 201 Heritage Dr., Kitchener, Stacked Townhomes, 26 units - Bytor - 06-14-2021

Georgian Park is to the back of this property.

https://goo.gl/maps/BDPa63fQKsKfwXWr5