04-15-2025, 11:22 AM
(04-10-2025, 01:03 PM)westwardloo Wrote:And that is where reliable, swift, and affordable intercity/public transportation is paramount. Or employers have to get creative about commuting considerations (e.g., provide shuttles or corporate taxi allowances). I don't mind giving you eight hours of my day, but when the eight is twelve because I'm at the mercy of either the 401 (and parking) or a two-hour snail's pace GO Transit trip at very specific times, we have a problem. Especially if, when you hired me, WFH and hybrid were Big Perqs of the role.(04-10-2025, 11:29 AM)plam Wrote: Remote-first tech companies often organize in-person meetups a few times a year. Saves them the trouble of paying for office space the rest of the year.I mean that is kind of a different discussion. I 100% agree that we should implement a 4 day work week in as many industries as possible. It proven to be just as productive and would be a huge boost to local travel/ hospitality industries. Image what people would do if every weekend was 3 days long.
There are a number of results that show that working 4 days a week, in general, is as productive as working 5 days a week, and way better for people. In general I don't really think that being in the office 5 days a week is good for people or productivity.
In terms of work from home vs office. I think over the long term, companies that work from office will be more successful than companies that are 100% work from home. Meeting in person 3-4 times a year will not build the same level of collaboration or team bonding that in office does. I think there could be a good balance though. Maybe 2-3 days in the office or work half a day everyday in the office.
Commute times are another issue, the main one being over the past couple decades firms seem to only open Toronto offices instead of spreading the workforce out throughout ontario. There was a time that satellite offices in London, Kitchener or Hamilton would have been common practise, now they just expand in GTA. Ontario needs to be better at promoting some of our smaller cities for companies to set up offices space in.
Additionally, COVID-19 might be over (and I kind of feel like it isn't), but an employer's insistance on presenteeism and face-time, even to the extent of my becoming ill with whatever my colleagues are bringing in, seems rather reckless. As someone who ended up with reduced kidney function after two rounds of strep infection from the person working in the cubicle next to me (who proudly announced their coming into the office even though their whole household was ill thanks to kids in daycare), I think it's important to have options and two-way flexibility. Yes, I realize that improved transit/transportation doesn't do much to reduce contagion hazards, but in the absence of satellite locations, it has to be a consideration.

