Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(04-26-2024, 08:25 AM)westwardloo Wrote: There is no way that they want to expropriate 700 acres to subdivide it into small industrial plots. If that was the case, they would just rezone the land north of the 7/8 into industrial lands and have developers purchase the land slowly themselves. This is to attract a major manufacturing tenant. The Region feels that they lost out on major manufacturing investments in the past because we do not have a large site ready. I am surprised that honda feels like Alliston can absorb 1000+ new manufacturing jobs, but I am sure the province will make them open up a lot of agricultural land around the community for more housing. There has been major rumblings of Toyota wanting to set up a EV plant in North America I am sure that Toyota Canada is working hard to secure the factory, but if we don't offer suitable site or similar investments that Honda is getting they could easily set up shop in one of the States.

You're definitely right, this isn't a case of "we need small plots"...there are tons of small plots (there are also big plots mind you) available.

But I'm sure that Honda doesn't care...I'm sure that Honda feels they can force the issue...people will either commute (they commute just as far INTO Toronto), or more housing will get developed.

But this whole "lets compete" between cities is to our detriment. We need collaboration and co-operation between cities, not a battle to see which city can prostrate ourselves the hardest in front of corporations.

And honestly, if the land grab is happening on the "hope someone will notice us" that is just as bad...maybe it's not as bad as an actual backroom deal, but in terms of pandering to corporations, just as bad in my eye. Although I'm sure I'll get a dislike as usual for my questioning of capitalism here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by SF22 - 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM
RE: Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by danbrotherston - 04-26-2024, 09:13 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 03-24-2024, 09:49 PM
RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - by nms - 03-28-2024, 07:55 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM