Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(04-15-2024, 12:32 PM)creative Wrote: I often wonder what the real unemployment rate might be. To my knowledge, we don’t count individuals who have exhausted their unemployment and don’t find work. Are they just considered employed at that point. I fell into that category a number of years ago and never found employment again and just ended up taking early CPP and considering myself retired.

Individuals not looking for work are eventually not considered part of the workforce. To an extent, it's a reasonable decision from a statistical point of view as it's very difficult to determine why an individual is not looking for work.

You can address this gap somewhat by looking at the labour force participation rates, but those also include retired people, so then you need to consider the age groups as well. And our population is aging so the overall labour force participation rate is dropping.

Some good discussion on labour markets and employment here:
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-qu...0b-eng.htm

[Image: g221130b002-eng.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by SF22 - 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM
RE: Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by tomh009 - 04-15-2024, 02:27 PM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 03-24-2024, 09:49 PM
RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - by nms - 03-28-2024, 07:55 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM