Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(04-11-2024, 10:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 09:15 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It isn't "jobs" that are being opposed here, it's the immense environmental and cultural destruction that you are willing to suffer in order to bring those "jobs"...

Immense cultural destruction? Seriously?

Immense environmental destruction...yes...absolutely serious.

As for cultural destruction, *I* a person who has never set foot on a farm, has heard of and enjoyed the products from at least one of the farms. So there is absolutely a loss of local businesses that have a presence in the community.

To me, that's cultural destruction, but you might think of a different term, but please don't tell me that my favourite local cheese is not important.

But again, if this was an analogous situation, like, all the small business restaurants and shops that must close on a block to make way for a new highrise development downtown, I would (and have) acknowledged that as a loss when it happens (but i that case, it is often one I think is worth it, because other costs are much lower).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by SF22 - 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM
RE: Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by danbrotherston - 04-11-2024, 11:01 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 03-24-2024, 09:49 PM
RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - by nms - 03-28-2024, 07:55 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM