Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmland conversion and landfill sites
(03-27-2024, 04:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 03:41 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I live on a farm and although we rent the land out, both me and my partners families are from a farming background. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that farmers don't make anywhere close to 18k per acres.  Maybe $500 per acres on a good year. Soybeans can't be grown each year either, you typically rotate the crop between corn, wheat and soybeans. 

https://farmersforum.com/eastern-ontario...e-of-land/

These farmers are getting paid well to relocate. Does it suck, absolutely. 

Really it is the Neighbours that are the ones that are really pissed about this. They aren't getting the pay day and they will be living next to a giant factory. 100% this is more of a NIMBY issue then they want it to seem.

This came up in a different thread (on the townships). I didn't realize this was an expropriation. To me, that's completely unacceptable. Should farms be converted to industrial is a question we can discuss. But whether our government should use the power of eminent domain to seize land from individuals and give it to a private company for private use and private wealth...that is unquestionably wrong. I don't know why it is even being considered?

As for the "NIMBY" aspect...I would argue that concerns about a toxic, polluting factory next to a farm is much more legitimate than concerns about the wrong kind of people living next to me is.

Expropriation by municipalities of farm land for industrial use is far from uncommon.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by SF22 - 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 03-24-2024, 09:49 PM
RE: Schneider Family Lands donation to rare charitable reserve - by panamaniac - 03-27-2024, 09:16 PM
RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - by nms - 03-28-2024, 07:55 AM
Farmland conversion and landfill sites - by nms - 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM