Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-26-2022, 06:27 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I wonder what the logistics would be for running sets only during rush hour though. Would certain trains stop at the maintenance facility to pick up a second train? How long would that take, and would it require additional trains to fill the gaps in the schedule created during that downtime? If we needed additional trains to fill the gap, and additional trains for the sets, would we then have enough to just run double trains all day? I know lines around the world run variable length trains, so if any of you train nerds know the logistics, I'm curious.

I don’t know, but here are some thoughts.

Given that there is a stop right next to the maintenance facility, it should be possible to do it there. Run an LRV out of the maintenance facility into Northfield station. Next in-service train comes up behind it and couples, which I believe can be done by basically driving up very slowly until the trains touch and pressing a couple of buttons. It’s not like freight trains which require someone at track level to hook up hoses — it’s all in the coupler.

So I don’t see a need for it to be a significant delay. That being said, as far as I can tell, transit authorities hate building or cutting trains in service. I still feel like it should be possible, but maybe it’s just not feasible to get it working reliably enough in the real world. I’ve thought about it, but never actually run a train system myself.

Another possibility would be to do the same at Conestoga Mall. So the LRV being added would run out of service to Conestoga Mall, then the in service train would hook up with it prior to beginning its return trip. The operator who took the extra LRV up could just ride the in service train back to Northfield to get back to the maintenance facility.

Do similar in reverse to shorten trains. Leaving Conestoga Mall, keep one LRV out of service, coupled to the in service one. At Northfield, uncouple; maintenance personnel have ample time to get the cut off LRV out of the way before the next train comes. I believe uncoupling is even easier than coupling; basically, press the right button and drive away.

But I’d love to know. Actually what I’d really like is a copy of all the documentation from Bombardier. That would be some interesting reading, although I don’t expect to see it on the New York Times bestseller list anytime soon.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-26-2022, 09:17 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM