Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(05-27-2024, 07:23 PM)bravado Wrote: Doug Craig wants another pedestrian bridge across the Grand

Doug Craig? I don't believe you. You're clearly a 'bot trying to phish for our passwords. That or you come from an alternate universe.

(05-27-2024, 04:22 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 03:55 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: New project up on the EngageWR website:
https://www.engagewr.ca/victoria-street-modifications

"The Region of Waterloo is looking to make modifications to Victoria Street in Kitchener near the future Kitchener Central Transit Hub."

"This project is focused on Victoria Street North (Regional Road 55) from King Street West (Regional Road 15) to Weber Street West (Regional Road 8)."

Their preferred design alternative is illustrated on slide 47:
https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-cent...5f6afb4534

One small thing I noticed from their proposed design is that it omits the driveway entrance to the proposed parking lot (present homeless encampment) at the corner of Weber. It was originally shown in the latest available drawings of the transit hub.

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-cent...bc2b0ee5e6

I assume that the Region's recent acquisition of the neighbouring property has allowed them to either redesign the parking lot, or to abandon the lot idea completely.

Well, I'm impressed, honestly. The proposal is actually very progressive.

It actually achieves two of the three features that make Dutch roads great....good (or at least existent) multi-modal infra, and limiting space for cars. The third, completely re-organizing the road network to unravel travel types and modes (i.e., streets and roads are separate, bikes and cars are separate, limiting the need for intersections to manage conflicts) is...significantly harder and less relevant in the downtown context.

So yeah, I'm for it...going down to two lanes is actually a really good start..and it should also give more additional ammunition to the idea that retaining four lanes to the west isn't needed.

And bus lanes are great to see, especially in a context where there might be some congestion in the future (albeit, they do represent more space and pavement used).

I mean, this isn't graduation day from the remedial class yet, but I'd consider grade A work. If the region keeps this up for 20-30 years, and I'll eventually feel silly for moving.
When did the North sidewalk of Weber St get designated as a multi-use pathway? My recollection was that only the south sidewalk was, but this document and the Kitchener bike map both show it as a MUP. I think there is only signage out there indicating the south side is.

It's frustrating not only figuring out what's practical for cycling, but also what's legal.

The proposal looks nice, but what's the purpose of the crossride over Victoria St at King St?
(05-28-2024, 02:28 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: When did the North sidewalk of Weber St get designated as a multi-use pathway? My recollection was that only the south sidewalk was, but this document and the Kitchener bike map both show it as a MUP. I think there is only signage out there indicating the south side is.

It's frustrating not only figuring out what's practical for cycling, but also what's legal.

The proposal looks nice, but what's the purpose of the crossride over Victoria St at King St?

King St is a supersharrow route south of Victoria. To the north there is MUTs on the side (through the station). 

It’s not actually so bad but they need to limit cars on King if they were serious about it.
Also upcoming on that stretch of Victoria St, traffic lights are going to be installed at Victoria/Ahrens at the GO station entrance/exit, and a multi-use path installed from the Victoria/Weber corner to properly connect into the GO station. Work is meant to be completed within 2024, according to a regional rep.

Some information is here: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...oSheet.pdf

More details coming within a few weeks, on the EngageWR website, as they begin the project. No intention at this time to link the MUT all the way to the Margaret Ave cycle tracks.
(05-28-2024, 02:28 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: When did the North sidewalk of Weber St get designated as a multi-use pathway? My recollection was that only the south sidewalk was, but this document and the Kitchener bike map both show it as a MUP. I think there is only signage out there indicating the south side is.

The underpass sidewalks have been MUTs since it was built but without any of the signage or line markings to make that obvious. They are just extra wide sidewalks that are supposed to be implied as MUTs as far as I know. The reason the north side might not have been obvious is because it only lasts 1 block so it's been a relatively useless stub.
(05-28-2024, 09:52 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: King St is a supersharrow route south of Victoria. To the north there is MUTs on the side (through the station). 

It’s not actually so bad but they need to limit cars on King if they were serious about it.

Supersharrow, hah. The cycletrack crossing over King St I get, because it connects to the Transit Hub trail. But crossing over Victoria St I don't, because it just dumps you into a (currently) very narrow sidewalk next to the Kaufman lofts. Not sure where you would go from there without walking anyways. Hopefully that corner will be expanded regardless, but I can't quite tell from the PDF if that's the case.

(05-28-2024, 01:06 PM)cherrypark Wrote: The underpass sidewalks have been MUTs since it was built but without any of the signage or line markings to make that obvious. They are just extra wide sidewalks that are supposed to be implied as MUTs as far as I know. The reason the north side might not have been obvious is because it only lasts 1 block so it's been a relatively useless stub.

The south side has at least had signage since somewhere between 2017-2019 according the street view. Not sure why they wouldn't put it on the north side at the same time... I was walking with a co-worker there once, who complained that a cyclist passed us on the sidewalk, when he should have been using the road which, according to him, has bike lanes. So a double misunderstanding due to the Region's poor design language.

(05-28-2024, 04:46 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I was walking with a co-worker there once, who complained that a cyclist passed us on the sidewalk, when he should have been using the road which, according to him, has bike lanes. So a double misunderstanding due to the Region's poor design language.

Ah yes, that narrow outermost 'lane'. It's basically just buffer space, but looks about the same as a bike lane would. The one thing it lacks is bike lane markings, which is really the only way to tell it isn't one. Very poorly designed.
(05-23-2024, 04:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol...they're also wrong...like they'll explain the 12 meter standard using all the right statements--that there needs to be enough room for a vehicle to stop outside the circle to not block traffic, but to wait for people crossing--and while we all like to joke about oversized SUVs...even the largest vehicles in Canada are not 12 meters long.

Ahh...sometimes I miss going to those meeting...it was fun to have to care about technical details...

Speaking of blocking traffic & roundabouts. In New Zealand (as everywhere else), traffic in the roundabout usually has priority to traffic not in the roundabout. However, there seems to be this weird exception. There are two kinds of pedestrian crossings: ones with orange balls posted above the crossing and ones without. The ones without, well, you're kind of on your own as a pedestrian. But if there is an orange ball, pedestrians have absolute priority, even to the point that cars in roundabouts have to wait for pedestrians before they can exit the roundabout.
(05-28-2024, 04:46 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: The south side has at least had signage since somewhere between 2017-2019 according the street view. Not sure why they wouldn't put it on the north side at the same time... I was walking with a co-worker there once, who complained that a cyclist passed us on the sidewalk, when he should have been using the road which, according to him, has bike lanes. So a double misunderstanding due to the Region's poor design language.

Yeah the painted lines around the gutter on the road make it look like bike lanes but they are not anywhere near wide enough. I would guess the lack of signage on the north is owning to the fact that it goes from nowhere to nowhere so they just did the south side for now, consistency aside.
Construction on East Avenue between Krug and Chapel coming along.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »