Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(02-11-2021, 12:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 12:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: They may look better, but it's still apparent you are facing a garage.  You'd have to have a pretty big development to completely encircle the inner garage with active uses on the outside (if such a thing is even possible within building codes), which is the only way I see a garage facade not being a net negative.

But certainly you are right that they can be better or worse.

That's what 1 Victoria and 144 Park do -- they have units on the outside, facing the street. I think only on the street-facing sides, but it's still an improvement.

Even DTK has units on the Duke St side of the podium. Sadly they don't make the building look much better.

SOME streets...they have units facing SOME streets.  144 Park still has a full garage facade facing Caroline, which I think significantly diminishes the Bauer Lofts plaza (although Bauer lofts does a pretty good job of that with their surface parking anyway). 1 Victoria is much better than 144 Park with the garage facade facing only half on Victoria St, and on Halls Ln and the Parking lot.  Mostly it isn't inactivating a streetscape, and is only visible from places like my building or walking up the Laneway.

Like I said, it can be done better, but it is still a net negative on the building.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 02-11-2021, 01:00 PM