Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(02-11-2021, 11:05 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 10:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, the car drop off is a separate thing, that could easily be included or not in either configuration.  As for parking, the garage entrances are on the street yes, but the entrance to the rear parking lot is also on the street, ultimately, cars need to get to the street.

Yeah, eliminating parking minimums would be so easy...of course, it would be met with huge resistance...from people who are afraid of...*checks notes*...car traffic.
Both of these buildings have parking in the back, underground parking and car drop off lanes. basically every access point to these buildings are built for cars.  I don't think they are great examples of providing parking to midrise buildings. But I do agree that this project could have done underground parking and provided an outdoor amenity space for the residence like a park or a garden. 

I feel like we are a decade away from eliminating parking minimums. If Edmonton can do it without sky is falling complications we will surely follow suit.

I was speaking very specifically about the underground parking. You said you hated the garage facades, I agree, but these buildings demonstrate that for midrise buildings, underground parking is possible with no above ground garage facade. And that's with the late 1980s parking minimums which we are far below by now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 02-11-2021, 11:11 AM