Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(05-28-2015, 11:44 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The way some people talk on this forum, I feel like it's important to draw a line in the sand sooner rather than later on heritage as I don't trust that they would not wholeheartedly advocate the tearing down of anything, anywhere, even if it is the last building of its kind in the Region or the world.

Strawman.

Every one here has at one time or another spoken strongly in favour of preserving certain heritage structures in the region. Go to the forum on top 10 buildings in the region and you'll find the same names there defending old structures that have spoken here against preserving smelly socks.

My guesstimate is that there are somewhere between 50-100 buildings in the region (some old, some modern) worthy of protection on an aesthetic basis alone. To that we need to add historical value items (Schneider house, Woodside) as well as a choice few last representatives of an important period in our past (e.g. a Mennonite hand raised barn, early XX century industrial buildings like the Tannery, etc.)

Lastly as an environmentalist I'm in favour of reuse whenever sensible, but not in the name of some made up heritage connection.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by BuildingScout - 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM