Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
Yes, but that's not integration of catalogues. I can have both a KPL and WPL library card, but I can't order books directly through the other catalogue to my local branch, which both use the same back end software. Integrate the catalogue and treat each branch as being part of the same city.

All public libraries (at least, among the public library systems I’ve used) offer to try to arrange for an inter-library loan for members. What he means is that you should be able to place a hold on material across the catalogues of the various libraries in the region.

That should be possible (they use the same Encore catalogue software) to do, but maybe tricky. The main benefit would be time- the intra-library loan service you linked to requires a form be reviewed, and you’ll see that the timing is from one to six weeks.
(02-20-2018, 03:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: All public libraries (at least, among the public library systems I’ve used) offer to try to arrange for an inter-library loan for members. What he means is that you should be able to place a hold on material across the catalogues of the various libraries in the region.

That should be possible (they use the same Encore catalogue software) to do, but maybe tricky. The main benefit would be time- the intra-library loan service you linked to requires a form be reviewed, and you’ll see that the timing is from one to six weeks.

Indeed, WPL and KPL run on the same server (if you look at the URL when you go to the WPL's catalogue you'll see that it lives on a KPL server). I'd be quite surprised if it would be difficult to merge their catalogues. But there are also ownership considerations I guess.
UW, WLU and UG have a shared catalogue and it's great. Inter-library loans are slower and typically have renewal restrictions, but shared catalogue is just as good as a single system.
Also don't forget Cambridge's Idea Exchange... their take on libraries is pretty awesome. I've attended a few events at the Galt one, and it's great. Pop-up FREE food nights timed with gallery exhibit openings (and even a cash bar! it makes for a great night out actually), more focus on art/gallery use and programming, and of course the usual library uses. It's great. Even the name 'Idea Exchange' really represents the evolution of libraries.
While walking by tonight I noticed that the Gospel Lighthouse has a sign saying they're moving to Frederick Mall and that PDR Picture Frames has signs saying "thanks for 40 years" -- they're in the same building, I wonder if it was sold or something?
EDIT: Oops, this should've been in the Kitchener topic

I also noticed that in the past few days, 2 of the 3 businesses in 50 Ontario St have moved, spontaneously, according to sign in their windows. The 3rd business — East African Cafe — still SEEMS to be running? Or I wasn't paying enough attention.

Two businesses in a building downtown moving out on the same day: coincidence, or planned development?

It was the end of the month. I can only conclude the landlord did not renew the leases.
Eating Well Organically is closing at the end of March, the sign in the shop window said "retirement sale" and it looks pretty threadbare in there already.
(03-01-2018, 12:18 PM)clasher Wrote: Eating Well Organically is closing at the end of March, the sign in the shop window said "retirement sale" and it looks pretty threadbare in there already.

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...-the-core/
Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Was in the City of Waterloo council packet last week for 37, 39, 41 King Street North (I think it is the vacant lot where Ish and Chips burned down):
"the development of a three storey mixed use building with retail on the ground floor and office space on the second and third floors. The building is designed to be linked at its south façade to the Old Post Office (35 King Street North)."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-08-2018, 11:59 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Was in the City of Waterloo council packet last week for 37, 39, 41 King Street North (I think it is the vacant lot where Ish and Chips burned down):
"the development of a three storey mixed use building with retail on the ground floor and office space on the second and third floors. The building is designed to be linked at its south façade to the Old Post Office (35 King Street North)."

I think it was mentioned before but we still don't have a thread for it. Renderings are at http://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresourc...ations.pdf , looks pretty nice.
It will be nice to see that spot filled in again.

(03-08-2018, 11:59 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Was in the City of Waterloo council packet last week for 37, 39, 41 King Street North (I think it is the vacant lot where Ish and Chips burned down):

Hole carved by fire to be filled by ‘gem’ made of glass
(03-12-2018, 06:55 PM)KevinL Wrote:

Hole carved by fire to be filled by ‘gem’ made of glass

I think this project deserves its own thread?

edit: I made a thread for it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »