Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(09-22-2017, 09:16 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 05:45 PM)darts Wrote: Waterloo park is close by it doesn't seem like a great area to add another park

Sure it does. We're adding density in the core of the city, and people living in the core should have access to neighbourhood parks, not just rooftop landscaped space or whatever the new condos have.

and the core of the city is next to waterloo park

Compared to other built-up areas in the city, the Waterloo core actually has very little area dedicated to park or green space. I only noticed this after having a child and how far we had to walk to get to a decently entertaining park that wasn't overcrowded.

The city's goal is to have 1.0 ha per 1,000 and the central area of Waterloo currently only has 0.3 ha (prior to the Alexandra and Mary-Allen expansions):
"The Central District of the City, bounded generally by Fisher-Hallman Road North, Weber Street, Bearinger Road and the City of Kitchener boundary has the lowest level of neighbourhood parks per 1,000 population at 0.3 hectares. This reflects the fact that development occurred prior to legal requirements for parkland dedication within the Planning Act. As a result, neighbourhood park activities often occur on school properties, such as Elizabeth Zeigler Public School on Moore Avenue South."

Note that the definition of "neighbourhood park" doesn't include Waterloo Park which is in the "city park" classification.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Don't forget too that at least two area schoolyards (Alexandra and Brighton) were closed in the last 20 years which removed that publicly available space (and playground) from the land uses in the area.
A redditor as posted a curious little survey about Uptown. Not sure what their purpose is. https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...ns_of_the/
(09-27-2017, 04:00 PM)KevinL Wrote: A redditor as posted a curious little survey about Uptown. Not sure what their purpose is. https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...ns_of_the/

Interesting... maybe related to this study? There hasn't been any word on who is doing it though...

https://www.biddingo.com/*.main?toPage=l...d=26859128
10 John St W in Waterloo, formerly McKechnie Surveying, suddenly has a Kieswetter Demolition fence all around it.
Anything else on that block coming down?

In an alternate universe, where actual lanes for people who cycle were put in along King right through Uptown instead of that lane line that is there currently poseing as a cycling lane, I thought there might be a remote opportunity to return some utility to the end of IHT by creating a connection through that row of properties when they were redeveloped:

Expropriate a strip of land for the bicycle path?
10 John St W is no more:

Parking lot? Or is their a plan for it.
It appears, for the moment, to be soiled and seeded.
I have been wondering if someone has assembled some parcels or maybe someone already owns them all already and has new plans here because I noticed a few of the tenants at 12 John (next door) have moved out and I noticed a few surveying stakes on 16 John (the corner lot).

In the most recent Exchange Magazine there is an article on the Midtown Movement.

Some bits of information on future developments include:

1. Post Office Site (King and Bridgeport) is being re-developed by HIP Developments into a 750,000 sf mixed-use site (45,000 sf office / 300 rental units).
  2. 741-751 King St. W. is being re-developed by HIP into a mixed-use site (30,000 sf office / 170 rental units).
Not sure if people knew about these developments.  I guess the 741-751 King St. W. is Kitchener so maybe I should have posted in that rumours thread.
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for that- I did post a comment linking to yours in the General Urban Kitchener thread.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »