Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(10-30-2014, 09:25 AM)Drake Wrote: What is the deal with that former post office? I don't recall news of a sale. I haven't noticed any activity.

That would correlate nicely with the city being in protracted negotiations for a property that seems very similar to that one.

If I were to speculate, it is that the developer who purchased the property a year or two ago, is ether offering or being asked to offer a level of parking within their likely parking structure as a public lot in exchange for a variance or two...or 30.
Apologies if has been mention in another thread, but what is planned for the north east corner of Regina and Bridgeport? Two houses were demolished there recently and the house next door is for sale.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
There may be nothing specifically planned for that lot. There was a house at the corner that burnt down about 3 years ago and the owner/city finally decided it was time to finalize it's demolition. I am not sure if the other house was also damaged or the owner of both lots was the same. 

At this point I think we wait and see. 
The northeast corner of Bridgeport and Regina is currently being used as a free parking lot by those unafraid of bylaw.
I noticed buried in the Administration and Finance Committee agenda for the November 4th meeting was a reference to Creative Enterprise Initiative offices and studios being rented at below market rate from properties owned by Momentum at 36 Erb St W (the old animal hospital) and the old LCBO until they Momentum feels it is ready for redevelopment.

Page 44:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...4-1104.pdf
I figured that both properties were owned by Momentum (my clue was the "Uptown Comedy" festival hoarding at the42 project and then The Uptown Comedy Festival renting the former Buck's Animal Hospital property).  It will be interesting to see what happens.

The CEI initiative was launched to deal with the fact that artists often can't find inexpensive studio space that suits their needs in urban environments like Waterloo Region.  CEI was meant to be an incubator that would encourage private interests (from individuals up to corporations) to pitch in and support the arts scene in the area.  It would be interesting to see if someone like Momentum were interested (or able) to incorporate studio space into a future development much the same way that developers elsewhere are encouraged to incorporate below-market space for low-income residents.

Noticed that 57 Erb St W (the former Seagram's building) has a for lease sign up.
http://whitneyre.com/data/properties/D03..._Flyer.pdf
Ummm did CIGI move and I didn't realize it?
To the new building inside. Seagram's is probably surplus to their needs now.
Who owns the Seagram's building, City of Waterloo?
(11-25-2014, 08:31 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: To the new building inside. Seagram's is probably surplus to their needs now.

In the Balsillie school?
The City of Waterloo owns the land that CIGI is sitting on.  According to CIGI, the City donated the cost of the 99-year lease (started in 2009) for the non-Seagram Museum portion.  According to these City of Waterloo meeting minutes, the Seagram Museum building was sold to Jim Balsillie and the New Economy Institute for $2.5 million, which according to the City's Director of Economic Development and Marketing in 2002, was $1,265,000 less than the City paid for both parcels of the Seagram lands.

Noticing more and more wayfinding signs through Waterloo Park and the Laurel trail around city centre. They look good with both distance and bike and cycle travel times.

I'd post a picture, but still working that out on the new forum.
Not sure if this is the place, but anyone know about the old Rogers store at Bridgeport and Weber? Rogers moved from there to a smaller shop in the main plaza. The building is large enough and does appear to be undergoing renovations currently...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »