Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(04-15-2023, 09:05 PM)rdaner Wrote: Hi: Longtime lurker and first time poster from central Toronto. I am wondering if Laurier has plans to redevelop the stadium site once it is torn down. Looked for information here but didn’t see anything. Seems to be on a prime corner! Thanks.

Laurier has a "Campus Master Plan".  This particular project is the "Grandstand Demolition Project" though I can't find reference to any of these on the WLU website or on the Cord (student newspaper) website.  I would hope that if Laurier no longer wanted University Stadium, that there might be an opportunity for the City of Waterloo to buy it back so it can be added back to the Waterloo Park property footprint.  From Wikipedia: "Initially owned by Waterloo College, the stadium was sold to UW which sold it to the City of Waterloo on August 12, 1974 for $1 million, after leasing it to the city from 1968 to 1974. At that time, the stadium was in need of extensive repairs. In July 1992, the city sold the facility to Wilfrid Laurier University."

A February tweet from the Laurier Football Twitter account promised an update in March.  There is no update that I can see.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by nms - 04-25-2023, 05:46 PM