Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(07-17-2022, 06:40 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 08:18 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: *rolls eyes*...

Yes, some of the architecture isn't amazing.

No, the city isn't "destroyed".

Lmao...no, no, that's not what is driving NIMBYism...that honestly made me chuckle.

Destroyed is a stretch but as a university student avoid the area at all costs outside of going to class. It really is borderline unlivavle in a lot of places. 

I've been to many a developing country who's mid tier cities feel nowhere near as bleak and oppresive as Waterloo. 

It's not the reason there are nimbys but it certainly throws fuel on the fire.

Lol...no. I was a university student and as uninteresting as the architecture in the student area is, it's still a more interesting place than the empty sprawling suburbs I (and most others) grew up in. Architecture is important, but so is density and people. the University district has those in spades.

The university district never felt "bleak and oppressive" to me, certainly far less so than any stroad in any residential area in the city.

Does it encourage NIMBYs...sure, of course it does. Look how you folks here are pushing the narrative of how "bleak" and "oppressive" it is. Who (never having experienced it) wouldn't be afraid of that happening where they live.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 07-18-2022, 03:17 AM