Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(11-02-2020, 08:07 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 07:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's nice that it's street-facing and not separated from the intersection by a sea of parking. Does anyone know if a site plan is available anywhere?

Indeed, that is an improvement, although it matches the former Chapters across the street, which looks better than it is, while the building is physically at the street, there is no activation of the street because there is no access to the building except off the parking lot.

I cannot tell if the same will be true here though.
This is worse than the chapters. At least chapters had real windows. This has window boxes that will most like be filled with generic images. Yes they have a second floor window, which is probably a break room or a managers office, but in my opinion it make the design worse. I kind of feel like we should be talking about this in the suburban thread.

(11-02-2020, 07:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's nice that it's street-facing and not separated from the intersection by a sea of parking. Does anyone know if a site plan is available anywhere?

Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot
(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote: Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot

Almost nothing. I will say that hiding the parking behind the building at least looks nicer.
(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote:

Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot
The view from the parking lot.    
(11-03-2020, 04:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote: Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot

Almost nothing. I will say that hiding the parking behind the building at least looks nicer.

That's true.  And it sort of gives an urbanish feel.  Almost.
But the parking lot seems to be BESIDE the building... so it is hidden from Weber, but you still get a sea of asphalt along King.

Coke
Ahhh... Waterloo and its suburban design ideals and already outdated new zoning by-law in action. Maybe one day we will see urban design that actually contributes to the pedestrian/public realm.

Sensible urban planning and architecture in Waterloo Region? Hah.
(11-28-2020, 01:25 AM)Square Wrote: So it begins Sad

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/developers-...-1.5208359

Wrong thread.
All 5 towers are on pause? I didn't even know about this one....is it supposed to go where Sunlife/Micheal's etc is currently?
(11-29-2020, 10:11 PM)Momo26 Wrote: All 5 towers are on pause? I didn't even know about this one....is it supposed to go where Sunlife/Micheal's etc is currently?

My understanding is all but one are on hold.
210-228 Erb St. W are fenced off with Kieswetter Demolition on site.
These are the properties in front of the Muslim society of Waterloo
144 Lucan continuing to make extremely slow progress on their expansion.

That one is shockingly slow. Do you think people are still living in the first three floors while the add-on happens?
(02-01-2021, 09:13 AM)mastermind Wrote: That one is shockingly slow.  Do you think people are still living in the first three floors while the add-on happens?

Judging by the empty balconies, it looks like no one lives there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »