Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
I’m excited for nostalgia to be quickly replaced by disgust at a little pop up shop full of cheap crap from China.

Cambridge is getting one, which is fun since the mall is relatively unchanged since Zellers was last on this earth.

Oh and Zeddy returns I hope
local cambridge weirdo

They better take my old club zed points... I can still smell the restaurants they had in there.
As per the evening news, it'll be on a portion of the top floor. Hoping for a Zeddy onesie for my infant daughter, but also curious as to how they're handling checkouts, what their merchandise mix will be, and if they're going to reinvent the whole wheel or leave bits of authentic HBC nostalgia in there too (think burnt-out light tubes).
(01-18-2023, 11:53 PM)razzie13 Wrote: As per the evening news, it'll be on a portion of the top floor. Hoping for a Zeddy onesie for my infant daughter, but also curious as to how they're handling checkouts, what their merchandise mix will be, and if they're going to reinvent the whole wheel or leave bits of authentic HBC nostalgia in there too (think burnt-out light tubes).

Let's not forget yellow and missing ceiling tiles from water damage, various stains on the floor and the smell of cigarette smoke emanating from the diner area's smoking section.
A vegan grocery, bakery & deli called Coven Market opened today on Charles in the old Cafe Pyrus location.

https://www.covenmarket.com/
(01-19-2023, 02:18 PM)Chris Wrote: A vegan grocery, bakery & deli called Coven Market opened today on Charles in the old Cafe Pyrus location.

https://www.covenmarket.com/

Open already! They weren't kidding when they said January. Smile Will go check it out ...
Shall We Knit? on Rock Ave (near Belmont) is closing as the owners are moving out to Kingston. That was the last indie-owned yarn shop in KW. Our last regional hold-out is Galt House of Yarn; other than that, just Michaels and Len's Mill for knitting supplies.

Wellington fibres isn't too far out of the region.
(01-31-2023, 02:17 PM)clasher Wrote: Wellington fibres isn't too far out of the region.

I would argue that Wellington Fibres is a dyer and not a store, per se (they sell their own yarn products only), but that is an option! However, totally inaccessible for someone who doesn't have a car. At least Shall We Knit? was on a couple bus lines, and a block away from the Iron Horse Trail.
(01-31-2023, 02:28 PM)SF22 Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 02:17 PM)clasher Wrote: Wellington fibres isn't too far out of the region.

I would argue that Wellington Fibres is a dyer and not a store, per se (they sell their own yarn products only), but that is an option! However, totally inaccessible for someone who doesn't have a car. At least Shall We Knit? was on a couple bus lines, and a block away from the Iron Horse Trail.

It might be absurdly far for you, but if you can get to the bike trail on Homer Watson, it is a 98% protected and pleasant bike ride all the way down to Galt for yarn using Conestoga College bridge and the Walter Bean trail…
local cambridge weirdo
(01-31-2023, 03:28 PM)bravado Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 02:28 PM)SF22 Wrote: I would argue that Wellington Fibres is a dyer and not a store, per se (they sell their own yarn products only), but that is an option! However, totally inaccessible for someone who doesn't have a car. At least Shall We Knit? was on a couple bus lines, and a block away from the Iron Horse Trail.

It might be absurdly far for you, but if you can get to the bike trail on Homer Watson, it is a 98% protected and pleasant bike ride all the way down to Galt for yarn using Conestoga College bridge and the Walter Bean trail…

Hahaha I looked it up and it's well over an hour's ride for me, which is definitely somewhat beyond my ability/comfort level right now, but thanks for mentioning it! That will give me a target goal (plus the Walter Bean Trail IS so pretty, it'd be good to have an excuse to ride it).
(01-31-2023, 02:28 PM)SF22 Wrote:

I only know the place from riding by it on my bike, but from DTK it looks to be ~27km and the Galt House of Yarn is only ~22km each way. The trail down to Galt is a nice ride, mostly can be done on paths without too much hills, and it's pretty easy to grab a bus to shorten the ride if you don't feel like doing it all in one go. The trail on Homer Watson takes out most of the climbing that's on the Walter Bean trail in Kitchener, or on Mill Park Drive, though that way is fun heading to Galt.
Marlowe's (hair salon, barber and tattoos, I think) is moving into the former space of the Voila Institute, at the corner of King and Ontario.

^ This is what was formerly Good Hair Co, over on Lancaster. They're expanding to accommodate more barbers and also tattoo artists now. Good people!
Ziggy's has announced they are moving in their newsletter.

Moving Update!
Our BIG news is that we are moving at the end of March 2023. We are aiming to be in our new location 130 Weber St. W. Kitchener by the week of March 20th. Please stay tuned for updates as we will be sending a confirmation email regarding an opening date.

We will remain open in our current location until March 18th.

Thanks for your patience and continued support!

https://goo.gl/maps/a8dY7pYe6tdTxvVYA

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »