Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(11-02-2020, 01:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 10:36 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: How are they "obviously a danger to the community". They have neither been proven guilty of the crime you believe them to have committed, nor is it clear they would do it again.

A person who has set multiple fires, essentially randomly, is obviously a danger to the community.

Quote:This "no real doubt" is irrelevant, we all think the police probably have the right person, and they probably do. But legally they are innocent until that guilty verdict is achieved. It is very important that these protections exist, it is the basis of how we have freedoms in this country. If the police got to decide who gets locked up, that's a very dangerous situation...it's exactly what we see happening in the US, and it's fucking terrifying.

Yes, I’m not quite sure how this should be handled. I guess the answer is the bail hearing, where the person is brought before a judge very soon after arrest.

And actually, my hope is that the judge did make a good evaluation of the situation and that it really is true that the person is not an imminent threat. If that is true, then as I said I withdraw my assertion that this brings the administration of justice into disrepute.

In general, I will trust our judiciary in this regard, that they understand the laws, study the particulars of each case and make well-reasoned decisions.

(11-02-2020, 03:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: Perhaps Loblaw is able to get a better deal on their lease by having both Shoppers and Zehrs in the same building.
Perhaps, but isn’t there already a pharmacy inside that Zehrs?   Unless they’re planning to close that one?
(11-02-2020, 01:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 10:36 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: How are they "obviously a danger to the community". They have neither been proven guilty of the crime you believe them to have committed, nor is it clear they would do it again.

A person who has set multiple fires, essentially randomly, is obviously a danger to the community.

To me, the question was whether it's one spree or multiple acts. Multiple acts is worse. But it's up to the judge to decide whether they pose a continuing risk to the community.

Speaking of the right to a prompt trial, yes, the Canadian Supreme Court made a decision about that a few years ago. To put more pressure on the Crown to get trials done fast, they set time limits. If your trial is not started by the time limit, your charges are dropped.

The principle that one doesn't face criminal repercussions until found guilty is good. It is true that in some cases it's more obvious than others.
In Canada, nobody gets bail, as far as I understand, unless they have a surety, i.e. sombody with whome they have to live and who will assure that they abide by the bail conditions. The surety is required to report to the court if the person violates bail conditions or else they are liable for a fine. My ex housemate was arrested a couple of times for different crimes so I have some experience being in court and observing the proceedings.
(11-02-2020, 03:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In general, I will trust our judiciary in this regard, that they understand the laws, study the particulars of each case and make well-reasoned decisions.

I think in our country we have a pretty good judiciary.

My problem is that I don’t really know. The difference between me and your typical RWNJ (right wing nut job) is that I know that I don't really know; I can invent scenarios where I think we should be lenient, and others where I think we should be harsh, but I admit that I don’t actually know how often scenarios like the ones I invent actually are.
The pandemic is also a relevant factor in this case. This article about 2/3s of inmates in an Alberta prison being infected is 3 hours old.
(11-01-2020, 05:39 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote: Google is now showing the Stanley Park Walmart location as permanently closed.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  All I could find was a reddit discussion from the Spring speculating that the Walmart was going to close and be replaced by a Canadian Tire.  The Walmart space doesn't seem to be much bigger than the current Victoria St location.  Presumably that would be the location to move if true?  Also talks about Shoppers moving in, which does seem to be in the works.   The reddit discussion also linked to a plan from the First Capital site:

https://fcr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/1...L_2020.pdf

I noticed that Google is indicating that that the Stanley Park Walmart is once again only temporarily closed.   Sorry about the false alarm! Still interested in seeing if SDM ends up in the mall  though.

Shoppers is moving from across the street. This was discussed elsewhere somewhere in this forum. Renovations are currently under way.
(11-02-2020, 05:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 03:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: Perhaps Loblaw is able to get a better deal on their lease by having both Shoppers and Zehrs in the same building.
Perhaps, but isn’t there already a pharmacy inside that Zehrs?   Unless they’re planning to close that one?

I thought the same thing.  There are likely people who will choose one over the other for their pharmacy needs, and since they were so close before, I don't think that will change.  No different than having a Best Buy beside a Future Shop (when FS existed), or a Harveys, Swiss Chalet, NY Fries or any one of the 20 restaurant brands they own being side by side.

I would think "Grocery" items in SDM would suffer more being in the same mall as Zehrs as opposed to pharmacy competition.

Coke
Given that Loblaws owns both, I expect they'll minimize the overlap, with reduced pharmacy inside Zehrs and minimal grocery inside SDM.
On the topic of these fires, and the suspect making bail: those with good access to money, equals good access to lawyers, which equals better court outcomes. My experience has shown me that one can make bail, even if the crime is serious, such as what happened at WalMart, for example, or someone who murdered or killed a person. On the other hand, I have known of individuals who have not made bail for far less serious offences (public intoxication comes to mind).

The whole idea of innocent until proven guilty of false, though. If this had any truth, you wouldn’t have loads of people rotting in places like Maplehurst/Vanier awaiting trial — they are not convicts, as they have not been convicted of a crime. What they do have in common is crappy jobs, and little access to copious amounts of money. That basically means duty council when they go to court. No legal aid, and no paid lawyer. This is our system.

As for the firebug, the police have more than enough information to know who did this. Things like social media (facebook with users showing off their car, including license plates) quite often can link someone to crimes. Here is the thing, this guy made “bail” because they had the money for a good lawyer, and to cover bail (not real money, just a promise). This doesn’t make me feel any safe, though. Someone setting fires to 3 WalMart’s knows this is wrong. They know it could cause serious injury or death. It’s not a victimless crime. And if this guy decides to set something else on fire, then we’re just repeating history that happens over and over and over again. That history is people either making bail, or serving low sentences, for serious crimes, only to repeat, and with dire consequences.

Hopefully he’ll see his day in court quickly, and pay for this crime.
Here's some great news for our outdoors people in the area: MEC is set to reopen their store in Kitchener:

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...en-2851147

November 23rd, I believe, mark your calendars.
(11-06-2020, 12:59 AM)jeffster Wrote: Here's some great news for our outdoors people in the area: MEC is set to reopen their store in Kitchener:

Except that it is no longer a co-op since the board sold it to an
American company without consulting the membership.

(11-06-2020, 08:37 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 12:59 AM)jeffster Wrote: Here's some great news for our outdoors people in the area: MEC is set to reopen their store in Kitchener:

Except that it is no longer a co-op since the board sold it to an
American company without consulting the membership.

Yes, you are correct. I don't recall getting any information from MEC regarding the sale and I've been a member for a few years now. The last time I was a member of a business (a mutual) we got paperwork to sign agreeing to the sale (and change from a mutual). Being something like 20 something at the time, someone telling me that I am getting $5,000 was cool.
I think it'll just be "MEC" now without any significance to the letters. Or else something like "Mountain Equipment Company".

As to selling it ... MEC was sold through CCAA, and there is rarely anything left for the owners (of any company) at that point.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »