Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icon 330 | 25 fl | U/C
(11-11-2015, 12:19 AM)danbe Wrote: Do you think its smart to invest in a 1 bedroom + den unit in icon 330? I would be living there and renting the other room..

Im just worried that price might go down with all the new proposed condos, what do you guys think?

Someone willing to rent a space as small as most dens are is equally willing to put as little time/money/effort into upkeep of a place, and just as willing to jump ship if a few more pennies can be pinched elsewhere. If you were going to be alone there, or someone else renting the full unit, it'd be a much better investment than you renting out the den (though not necessarily a worthwhile one in either case).

(11-11-2015, 12:19 AM)danbe Wrote: Do you think its smart to invest in a 1 bedroom + den unit in icon 330? I would be living there and renting the other room..

Im just worried that price might go down with all the new proposed condos, what do you guys think?

The way I see it, is all about how much rent you are likely to get in the future. If rents hold you can always sell and recover your money, if they pull back prices per unit will drop to reflect lower carrying mortgage capacity. Having said that this is prime location next to university, so they will likely trade at a premium as compared to units farther away.

Yes, the former Blackberry campus across the street will get completely redeveloped and there will be a big demand for these units in close proximity.
I'm reading a zoning bylaw amendment application in the Waterloo Chronicle.
They're asking for "changes to the site specific zoning by-law as it relates to visitor and commercial parking rates for both sites, and the setbacks and height of the two buildings at 145 Columbia"

No other details yet. Sounds like they want either more height/massing for 145 Columbia or parking relief. Or more likely both.
(11-29-2015, 08:16 PM)Markster Wrote: I'm reading a zoning bylaw amendment application in the Waterloo Chronicle.
They're asking for "changes to the site specific zoning by-law as it relates to visitor and commercial parking rates for both sites, and the setbacks and height of the two buildings at 145 Columbia"

No other details yet. Sounds like they want either more height/massing for 145 Columbia or parking relief. Or more likely both.

Lots more details here.
Ah, thanks!

Pertinent asks from the developer:
Quote:The applicant has since decided to keep these two properties separate, rather than consolidate the lots. This has resulted in a redesign of 145 Columbia Street. The applicant has applied for the zone change application to resolve deficiencies in parking and setbacks and allow greater building heights.

Request: The Applicant is requesting changes to the site specific zoning by-law for:

A reduction in the rear yard setback for 145 Columbia Street W from 3.0 m to 2.0 m
A reduction in the front yard setback for 145 Columbia Street W, both above grade and below grade, from 5.0 m to 2.8 m
A reduction in the side yard setbacks for 145 Columbia Street W, from 4.0m to 3.6m
A reduction in the residential visitor parking rate (as it relates to both properties) from 0.05 to 0.026 spaces per bedroom.
A reduction in the commercial parking rate (as it relates to both properties) from 4 to 1 space per 100 sq.m. of floor space
Building ‘C’ Height – from 55m to 79.3m
Building ‘D’ Height – from 40m to 47.4m

That the two properties be treated as one for the purposes of allocating and accessing parking spaces and loading spaces.

The reduction of commercial parking is a biggie! And it makes a lot of sense, because the kind of commercial that will ultimately end up here is convenience retail serving the people who live and work nearby. Not things that people will likely be driving to as much.

The building fronting Columbia will be 14 storeys tall.
Tower 1 has topped out. It's still awaiting a roof, and presumably a mechanical room on top.

They've put up a rental office for the site at 145 Columbia.  It was pretty popular, full of people filling out paperwork.  Fall occupancy seems like it will be no problem for this building.  

Hello Markster,

Happy New Year, Do we have any latest update on the Project and a Completion Date... New Pics is much appreciated,

Take Care,
Javeed

(12-03-2015, 12:08 PM)Markster Wrote: Tower 1 has topped out. It's still awaiting a roof, and presumably a mechanical room on top.

They've put up a rental office for the site at 145 Columbia.  It was pretty popular, full of people filling out paperwork.  Fall occupancy seems like it will be no problem for this building.  
Sure!

Though it's dusk, so....

Thanks Buddy - appreciate

(01-06-2016, 06:52 PM)Markster Wrote: Sure!

Though it's dusk, so....
This is one of those buildings that seems to have sprung up in zero time flat. I'm continually surprised when I see update photos on this thread, because it still doesn't exist in my "mental map". I haven't gone down Columbia or Phillip much lately and I'm sure I'll be surprised when I do next.
Yeah, consider that just one year ago: (Jan 15, 2015)

(01-15-2015, 03:13 PM)Markster Wrote: There are concrete columns being poured above grade!

The magic of ICF.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Icon 330 looking good. South tower is up to 18 storeys. <a href="https://t.co/eyYgfFIttW">pic.twitter.com/eyYgfFIttW</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/685179409867866113">January 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

(01-07-2016, 12:28 PM)zanate Wrote: This is one of those buildings that seems to have sprung up in zero time flat. I'm continually surprised when I see update photos on this thread, because it still doesn't exist in my "mental map". I haven't gone down Columbia or Phillip much lately and I'm sure I'll be surprised when I do next.

As someone who travels on Columbia and Phillip daily, I can't wait for this thing to be done. Just a different perspective. :-)
More Delays for Hundreds of Students in Waterloo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »