Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hospitals in KW
(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Along the LRT near Ottawa St seems logical to me.

Replace the industrial area behind the Concordia? That could work, sure.

(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 07:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But, that said, emergency services will be primarily at the current GRH site, so the new hospital would get fewer ambulance rides.

The plan is to close the GRH emergency department and consolidate at the new site.

Along the LRT near Ottawa St seems logical to me.

So no emergency department near the City of Waterloo? Completely bonkers. The closest emergency to Uptown would then be at St. Mary’s I think?
(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 07:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But, that said, emergency services will be primarily at the current GRH site, so the new hospital would get fewer ambulance rides.

The plan is to close the GRH emergency department and consolidate at the new site.

That's not how I read it.

Quote:As part of the project, St. Mary’s nearly century-old building will be retired, while Grand River’s two existing sites will be renovated and repurposed. Grand River’s main site in Kitchener will focus on ambulatory and urgent care, and Freeport will expand its rehabilitation services — with St. Mary’s sharing these spaces as well.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...pital.html
(04-04-2023, 02:26 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Along the LRT near Ottawa St seems logical to me.

Replace the industrial area behind the Concordia? That could work, sure.

Or the other side of the highway, with an infill ION station added around Hayward.

(04-04-2023, 02:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The plan is to close the GRH emergency department and consolidate at the new site.

Along the LRT near Ottawa St seems logical to me.

So no emergency department near the City of Waterloo? Completely bonkers. The closest emergency to Uptown would then be at St. Mary’s I think?

The plan is also to close St Mary's, the new hospital will be the one emergency department for the region. Which IMO is why they should keep the current GRH site, but we all know that won't happen (too much desire for vast quantities of parking).

(04-04-2023, 03:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The plan is to close the GRH emergency department and consolidate at the new site.

That's not how I read it.

Quote:As part of the project, St. Mary’s nearly century-old building will be retired, while Grand River’s two existing sites will be renovated and repurposed. Grand River’s main site in Kitchener will focus on ambulatory and urgent care, and Freeport will expand its rehabilitation services — with St. Mary’s sharing these spaces as well.

That's what I read too. Ambulatory care means care for people that can walk themselves in, e.g. routine scans and stuff. Urgent care is the step below emergency (but above a regular walk-in clinic). Despite the confusing naming, anyone arriving in an ambulance is neither ambulatory care nor urgent care.
(04-04-2023, 03:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's not how I read it.

Ambulatory care refers to people who go in for testing, procedures and similar stuff. Urgent care would be for like, I don't know, people who broke a bone or have a sudden onset of something, but who just need quick care (a cast, antibiotics) and then leave. Comparable to a walk-in clinic as taylortbb said.

Acute care - which is what the new hospital is to focus on - is for sudden, urgent medical issues...i.e. the sort of stuff people go to an emergency department for.

While obviously nobody knows anything yet, chances are the new hospital will contain the main regional emergency unit and whatever else. Then, as I mentioned in a previous post, the existing hospital can focus on stuff like oncology (radiation, chemotherapy etc), mid-term psychiatric and addiction services, medicine unit, stroke unit...basically everything the hospital currently does, minus emergency stuff or surgery recovery.
Yes, the new hospital will be the only hospital with an emergency department. That is why it is critical not to be put in the north end of Waterloo, Increased drive time will cause more death due to cardiac events.
(04-05-2023, 06:47 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Yes, the new hospital will be the only hospital with an emergency department.  That is why it is critical not to be put in the north end of Waterloo,  Increased drive time will cause more death due to cardiac events.

That is totally insane. Anybody who thinks it’s appropriate for a city the size of KW to have only a single emergency department has no business being involved in capacity planning, logistics, disaster preparedness, or really anything truly important.

Yup !!!
(04-05-2023, 09:55 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 06:47 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Yes, the new hospital will be the only hospital with an emergency department.  That is why it is critical not to be put in the north end of Waterloo,  Increased drive time will cause more death due to cardiac events.

That is totally insane. Anybody who thinks it’s appropriate for a city the size of KW to have only a single emergency department has no business being involved in capacity planning, logistics, disaster preparedness, or really anything truly important.

What has given you the impression that DoFo has any sane healthcare policies?
(04-05-2023, 12:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What has given you the impression that DoFo has any sane healthcare policies?

Don’t worry, I don’t believe that… but is this direct from the political level or would hospital planning in this area look the same under another government? The Civil Service is perfectly capable of doing dumb things all on its own without any assistance from politicians.
(04-05-2023, 05:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 12:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What has given you the impression that DoFo has any sane healthcare policies?

Don’t worry, I don’t believe that… but is this direct from the political level or would hospital planning in this area look the same under another government? The Civil Service is perfectly capable of doing dumb things all on its own without any assistance from politicians.

Fair enough.

I will say pretty much every party in the provincial government has been gung-ho for centralisation. Bigger fewer schools, bigger fewer hospitals, bigger fewer governments. It in theory improves efficiency, but even if it does reduce costs it necessarily reduces service experience.
(04-06-2023, 01:17 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 05:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Don’t worry, I don’t believe that… but is this direct from the political level or would hospital planning in this area look the same under another government? The Civil Service is perfectly capable of doing dumb things all on its own without any assistance from politicians.

Fair enough.

I will say pretty much every party in the provincial government has been gung-ho for centralisation. Bigger fewer schools, bigger fewer hospitals, bigger fewer governments. It in theory improves efficiency, but even if it does reduce costs it necessarily reduces service experience.

And yet we still have two school boards of overhead...
(04-06-2023, 07:13 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(04-06-2023, 01:17 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Fair enough.

And yet we still have two school boards of overhead...

Four I think...although two are maybe...less locally relevant.

But yeah...our governments (all of them) are kings of ... what's the saying...rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic? We are entirely unwilling to consider meaningful changes, because we are entirely unwilling to consider change of any kind...instead we do bullshit things that do nothing to modify the overall trend towards failure.

Did anyone else attend the Grand River Hospital Foundation Rally for Health yesterday in the SunLife Parking Lot between SunLife and Grand River Hospital's KW Health Centre? It was a great event with 11 (!) Food Trucks that meant that the food line-ups were reasonable and there were 40+ portapotties (I only counted the bank on one side of the site).  Oh, and the concert and drone show was good too.  Tongue

My guess is that 3000 patrons may have passed through the site over the course of the event from 5pm to 10pm on a parcel of land that was roughly equivalent in size to the Victoria Park field that is used for Rib Fest and the Multicultural Festival.

Quote:The Rally for Health is a celebration of our community and their dedication to the future of health care right here.

Taking place in the Sun Life parking lot with Grand River Hospital, KW Campus as a backdrop, we're rallying every member of our community to ensure world class health care in our community for everyone who needs it.

Join us on Saturday, May 27 from 5 –10 p.m. for an unforgettable evening, including a FREE concert with performances by The Strumbellas, DJ Shub and the Ian Richards Project, a stunning drone show, food trucks, and more.

They used the event to launch the their $258 Million Manifesto (website 258m.ca). The manifesto reads:

Quote:We are home to builders, tech pioneers, communication trailblazers, and health innovators.

We are built on a history — and a future — of immigrants, dreamers, and problem solvers.

We see challenges as opportunities to transform and reimagine the future of health care.

We are only as healthy as the people who live, work, and play in our community.

We know care never stops.

We deserve a world class health system for all.

We can’t wait.

We must rally for health care in our communities right now.

Rally for health care in our communities, and pledge a monthly donation.

Apparently, the fundraising campaign was quietly launched three years ago, when Covid pushed everything else to the bottom of the priority list.  According to what was announced last night from the stage, they have already raised $230 million.

This campaign received the Grand River Hospital Foundation's biggest gift in its history from the Kraft Family Estate.  From the press release:

Quote:KITCHENER, May 24, 2023 — In the kick-off to Care Never Stops Week, Grand River Hospital and Foundation are celebrating the biggest gift in our history in support of health care in our communities.

Ralph and Dorothy Kraft were community builders, innovators, and entrepreneurs, who opened the area’s first grocery superstore, Hiway Market, in 1952 (King Street East in Kitchener). We’re grateful for their generous support, which continues in an estate gift of over 15 million dollars to Grand River Hospital.

“We’re energized by the legacy of the Kraft’s innovation and inspiration in our community. In recognition of this, we’ll be using this gift to support three strategic named areas: Kraft Patient Experience, Kraft Team Experience, and Kraft Innovation, each of which will help us achieve our ambitious goals set forth in the Aiming High strategic plan,” says Paul McIntyre Royston, President and CEO, Grand River Hospital Foundation.

"Additionally, to continue to inspire innovation in health care here in our communities, all legacy gifts made through our Care Forward program will become a part of our Kraft Society. To truly cement this incredible commitment and investment - we are also excited to announce the Kraft Office of Patient Experience, Quality, and Planning.”

“This week has come to reality because of the spirit of our community – one committed to ensuring everyone has access to world class health care right here in Waterloo Region,” says McIntyre Royston. “Each of us has a role to play in ensuring everyone has access to world class health care right here. And this is a monumental step in that direction.”
The hunt is on for a possible new hospital site in Kitchener-Waterloo. But where?
Local hospitals hope to choose a site by end of year but still need provincial approval
(You have to log in to read whole article).

"The plan calls for St. Mary's to move from its landlocked Queen's Boulevard site in Kitchener, which would then be turned to a different use. Grand River's midtown and Freeport sites would be modernized and repurposed as centres for ambulatory and urgent care (midtown) and rehabilitation (Freeport)."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »