Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hospitals in KW
I've seen a couple of mentions over a little while about the need for a new hospital in KW and I am almost entirely ignorant of the notion. I don't really understand what the different options are (is it that we need a third or is it that we need to tear down the two we have after building a new one or something entirely different?) and I don't understand how to weigh the different options.

The first mention I recall seeing is an article by Michael Litt in the globeandmail from last March: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business...loos-tech/

The most recent mention is a tweet yesterday from Michael Harris (who is in favour of one new hospital replacing the two old ones):

Edit: I am also ignorant with regards to embedding tweets here. The direct link is: https://twitter.com/Michaelharrispc/stat...6736242689

I don't think that we should be replacing a hospital.

I'd be looking to add one in a geographic location different than what's currently available
From the Globe article: "Currently, both of the region’s major hospitals sit in downtown Kitchener, making them hard to access from outlying areas."

That's a head-scratcher for me. Would it be better for one or both of them to be in an outlying area, closer to fewer people?
If anything I think Grand River should be expanded and improved. Heck the same goes for St. Mary's
And Grand River has the perfect spot to expand just to the northeast! It's practically begging to be used, if this government is serious on that.
Over the years, I've heard from a number of people in the medical community that the preferred option would be to amalgamate both Grand River and St. Mary's into one teaching hospital. Based on that option, the vision would be for one new building, ideally located behind the medical and pharmacy schools in Kitchener. I've also heard though that while Grand River is open to the idea, St. Mary's is staunchly opposed. All of the above is complete hearsay though; I've never seen or heard of anything concrete beyond just talk.
If it is a position put forward and supported by the practitioners at the hospitals, I would be very likely to support it as well. I know basically nothing about how hospitals operate and would almost always defer to the people doing the actual work.

There's not much land for St Marys to expand on, unless you build a second building on the parking lot to the north.
(02-01-2019, 02:53 PM)timio Wrote: There's not much land for St Marys to expand on, unless you build a second building on the parking lot to the north.

That's what I would do if I was expanding St. Mary's.
(02-01-2019, 01:01 PM)MidTowner Wrote: From the Globe article: "Currently, both of the region’s major hospitals sit in downtown Kitchener, making them hard to access from outlying areas."

That's a head-scratcher for me. Would it be better for one or both of them to be in an outlying area, closer to fewer people?

Isn't that quote from Michael Harris?

That really should tell you everything you need to know anyway.  The ONLY thing "difficult" to access about our hospitals is pay for parking.

Some people seem to think that's the only thing which matters, and would make them inaccessible to pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users in return for cheap parking.
(02-01-2019, 02:43 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: Over the years, I've heard from a number of people in the medical community that the preferred option would be to amalgamate both Grand River and St. Mary's into one teaching hospital. Based on that option, the vision would be for one new building, ideally located behind the medical and pharmacy schools in Kitchener. I've also heard though that while Grand River is open to the idea, St. Mary's is staunchly opposed. All of the above is complete hearsay though; I've never seen or heard of anything concrete beyond just talk.

Amalgamation of Grand River and St. Mary’s won’t happen until the abortion issue is solved.  IIRC St. Mary’s is unwilling to be part of, or associated with, a hospital that offers that option.  But I heard that a long time ago and much has changed since...
I don't know much about how hospitals are run in Ontario but would the provincial government be able to do anything they want to the hosptials even if St Mary's opposed it?
Given the big fight to save St. Mary's 20 years ago, the last time the provincial government was on an amalgamation kick, I expect that it will be safe for a while yet. Both Grand River - KW and St. Mary's have been extensively renovated and they also specialize in different fields.

I was also told that in the post-1995 era, some local MPPs with clout in the governing party and with an eye on their own political careers were able to step in an protect St. Mary's. Just a rumour, but tantalizing none-the-less. And yes, if the provincial government so chose, they could close all of the regional hospitals (Grand River X 2, St. Mary's and Cambridge Memorial) and build a huge one at Highway 8 and the 401, just because.

(02-09-2019, 12:59 AM)nms Wrote: I was also told that in the post-1995 era, some local MPPs with clout in the governing party and with an eye on their own political careers were able to step in an protect St. Mary's. Just a rumour, but tantalizing none-the-less.

That was Elizabeth Witmer. Not a rumour.
Reviving an old thread to share that the new hospital for KW that was in the 2023 Ontario budget has a website and a new post about the site selection process:

https://futureofcaretogether.ca/process-...-waterloo/
local cambridge weirdo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »